Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Concerning the US Congress on Rejecting the Cole-Bishop Amendment

AVF Regular

Concerning the US Congress on Rejecting the Cole-Bishop Amendment

The Cole Bishop Amendent was rejected in the US Congress.

It would have pushed forward the Grandfather date so that products up until recently would not have to undergo a multi-million dollar review process.

As it stands, only cigalikes made prior to 2007 will stay on the market. Mods, tanks, tank coils and especially ejuice (unless it comes inside a prefilled 2007 cartomiser) will be off the market as their manufacturers wont be able to afford the review process.

But to give you some perspective about how this went down, consider this video clip;

This is how a lot of laws get passed/rejected in the US. It was an Omnibus amendment, and was rejected, along with tens of other non-related amendments.

A reddit poster gave a more extensive answer;
    It was a Rider to a bigger spending bill, the main bill wasn't about vaping.

In legislative procedure, a rider is an additional provision added to a bill or other measure under the consideration by a legislature, having little connection with the subject matter of the bill.[1] Riders are usually created as a tactic to pass a controversial provision that would not pass as its own bill. Occasionally, a controversial provision is attached to a bill not to be passed itself but to prevent the bill from being passed (in which case it is called a wrecking amendment or poison pill).

Whoever included it as a Rider was playing political trickery.

I'm not even going to act like I understand everything but this wasn't an up/down vote on this issue alone. It was an Omnibus spending bill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus_spending_bill

When Congress does not or cannot produce separate bills in a timely fashion, it will roll many of the separate appropriations bills into one omnibus spending bill.

Vaping and many other items didn't make it into this bill and again I'm not even going to act like I understand why this issue was even included in a spending bill.

Professor Sociopath supports it. Of course. But remember, he doesn't believe in banning anything, as he always notes. Apparently, he only believes in making regulations so harsh that 99% of the products are off the shelf.

Also be aware that while this was only an amendment, there is still both the Hunter and the Cole-Bishop standalone Bills to face congress, and two court cases against the FDA in attempt to block the FDA deeming regulations.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 03-05-17 at 12:52 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    The Cole Bishop Amendent was rejected in the US Congress.

It would have pushed forward the Grandfather date so that products up until recently would not have to undergo a multi-million dollar review process.

As it stands, only cigalikes made prior to 2007 will stay on the market. Mods, tanks, tank coils and especially ejuice (unless it comes inside a prefilled 2007 cartomiser) will be off the market as their manufacturers wont be able to afford the review process.

But to give you some perspective about how this went down, consider this video clip;

This is how a lot of laws get passed/rejected in the US. It was an Omnibus amendment, and was rejected, along with tens of other non-related amendments.

A reddit poster gave a more extensive answer;

Professor Sociopath supports it. Of course. But remember, he doesn't believe in banning anything, as he always notes. Apparently, he only believes in making regulations so harsh that 99% of the products are off the shelf.

Also be aware that while this was only an amendment, there is still both the Hunter and the Cole-Bishop standalone Bills to face congress, and two court cases against the FDA in attempt to block the FDA deeming regulations.
    And the argument that the FDA did not do it's due diligence in consulting with the local governments about the impact of the deeming regs. That one will be interesting.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 03-05-17 at 01:16 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    And the argument that the FDA did not do it's due diligence in consulting with the local governments about the impact of the deeming regs. That one will be interesting.
    Yes, I believe thats part of at least one of the court cases.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    Yes, I believe thats part of at least one of the court cases.
    No it hasn't got that far yet. It's just happening now. FDA regs "galactically stupid"

AVF Regular
    Weird double post...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 04-05-17 at 08:00 AM.

AVF Regular
    Meanwhile closer to home, Mixology, nude nic and soul blu will no longer ship to QL - I hope the other Nic suppliers dont follow.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyP View Post
    Meanwhile closer to home, Mixology, nude nic and soul blu will no longer ship to QL - I hope the other Nic suppliers dont follow.
    well thats annoying since now i cant get some stuff from them
    ybnice likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyP View Post
    Would be very interesting to see their reason why ... I had a quick look at the three sites and while Mixology clearly states in a banner they no longer ship to Qld there is no mention of it I could see on the others ? Indeed the shipping terms on Soul Blu did even state Brisbane in the time frame guesstimates ? Mind you its probably not been updated , but no glaring reference to it

I wonder if Qld Health has tried on their Bully Tactics with a so called cease and desist threat ...like they tried with customs a few years back and got dragged over the coals for ...

FFS people it shouldnt be this hard to give up smokes !
    Cath Mort, AllyP and ybnice like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Would be very interesting to see their reason why ... I had a quick look at the three sites and while Mixology clearly states in a banner they no longer ship to Qld there is no mention of it I could see on the others ? Indeed the shipping terms on Soul Blu did even state Brisbane in the time frame guesstimates ? Mind you its probably not been updated , but no glaring reference to it

I wonder if Qld Health has tried on their Bully Tactics with a so called cease and desist threat ...like they tried with customs a few years back and got dragged over the coals for ...

FFS people it shouldnt be this hard to give up smokes !
    freight place they say *calls bullcrap*
    AllyP likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

Super Moderator
    Could be the Govt ( Qld Health) has put the pressure on the carrier ? regardless its a federal importation matter ... we certainly live in troubled times when they can pull this sort of shyte ...
    Christian R, AllyP and ybnice like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast