Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Cashless Welfare Card and the affects on Vapers

AVF Regular

Cashless Welfare Card and the affects on Vapers

I decided to start this new thread, continuing from my thoughts in another of similar interest. Maybe a discussion is in order as this can and will have a major affect on the Vaping community and those trying to quit smokes.

Please feel free to move or delete if this is out of line for this community, but I feel the possible ramifications for vapers need a place to be voiced.

A personal approach:

I have been following the 'Cashless Welfare Card' debarcle of this government for awhile now as it directly affects me if it is introduced. It will also affect you if you are on any Centrelink payment other than Aged Pension. Personally I'm not there for another 2 years, so this greatly disturbs me. After all my adult life, working, paying taxes, raising 2 very respected and highly educated children (employed in law enforcement and the health industry), investing in property etc. then circumstances leading to zero employment opportunities, mainly because of age, find myself on Centrelink payments of which I have managed to budget well and am just able to keep my head above water and now our powers that be are trying to tell me I can't manage my own money (oops!! 'tax payers money') (Please remember, all Government bodies also live on tax payers money) so they will put me on a debit/credit card run by an unknown organisation at extraordinary costs to the 'tax payer' and only allow me 20% in cash. The other 80% will only be for verified/approved payments to companies on their list for things such as rent, utilities, food (where you can pay by card) etc. That's the short of it. You can learn more yourself as I had to. I did join the "Say No to the Welfare Debit Card, Say No to Family Tax Cuts National" facebook to find out about it. This is a good start also. Big Brother Welfare Threat to 2.3m Australians in Budget - Consumer Action

What does this have to do with Vaping you say? Think about it if you are on Centrelink....in fact even if you're not. This means we will not be able to buy online for imports or national goods as ALL payments of that nature including paypal, ebay, credit/debit card etc will not be allowed. Which only leaves spending cash at a local vape shop and forget about nic imports... legal and accepted or not it won't happen.

That means our only other alternative is back to smokes... hmm.. hang on...the cost of smoke WILL end up being more than 20% of your cash allowance as these can't be purchased on this card either along with alcohol and gambling.

This has not happened yet, but there are fears that this could be implemented in next weeks budget. If this is the case I can see it having a huge impact on our local, national and international suppliers as they loose their centrelink customers.

In my mind, these two situations are married. What's your thoughts?
    Last edited by Jemor; 06-05-17 at 08:00 PM. Reason: another typo...these long nails have to go.

Super Moderator
    From other thread .. post copied

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    even better that it also applies to people like me on a disability pension .... worked hard all my life, paid all my taxes ( and a LOT of them) ... seriously injured in a motorcycle accident .. fought NOT to be put on the pension ....but in the end thats all there was for me ... Dont drink , Done smoke, Dont touch drugs, dont gamble ( apart from the odd lotto ticket and Melb Cup ) ... annnnnnd yep they are going to tell me how I can spend my disability pension ..well because !

Interesting part .. I pay cash for my wood for heating ... it costs more per delivery than my 20% of any given fortnight ... soooo how do I get heating over winter?
    Buy it a metre at a time ( at a premium ) and in effect pay 20-30% MORE each season ... this is lunacy ...

I am really grateful I live in a country where the disabled such as myself are looked after ( mind you ,,,just) financially ... but this tarring all with the brush is just social manipulation!

Not to mention the Govt then has a complete financial transaction record for ALL recipients ... "hang on ? John Q Citizen buys Salmon fillets at the supermarket ... Surely on a pension you should only be able to afford Black and Gold Fish fingers!!! .. cut his allowance ! What a shocking waste of OUR money "

Its time the Govt realises the money they keep saying is theirs COMES from the people and business's of this nation .. its not THEIRS they are just appointed to deal with its dispersal with the aim to improve life for its citizens ...

Mind you its expected to cost ( I have seen bandied about in the media ) nearly $10,000 per recipient to implement ... Thats more than 50% of what I get an annum FFS !! ... Sure if a person is wasting Govt money on alcohol and drugs etc put them on the card if you must ... but for the 95% of those who dont , and especially ones like myself that have no real opportunity to exit the system, its a (un)fair deal of BULLSHIT !
    Last edited by Fatman; 06-05-17 at 07:54 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Fatman...you stalking me?....LOL
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    whats worse?

i run a tiny pc thing for friends and family i cant buy a bit of gear for this

pc case gear

umart

scorptech computers

all non listed no bet blocked tho im going to be glad that by the end of the year (i hope) i have my cert and a job
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    tho maybe we might no be high and dry

zippay if that isnt put on a block list thats a way around since it can act like a debit
    If you dont know it. Ask

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    I decided to start this new thread, continuing from my thoughts in another of similar interest. Maybe a discussion is in order as this can and will have a major affect on the Vaping community and those trying to quit smokes.

Please feel free to move or delete if this is out of line for this community, but I feel the possible ramifications for vapers need a place to be voiced.

A personal approach:

I have been following the 'Cashless Welfare Card' debarcle of this government for awhile now as it directly affects me if it is introduced. It will also affect you if you are on any Centrelink payment other than Aged Pension.

Personally I'm not there for another 2 years, so this greatly disturbs me. After all my adult life, working, paying taxes, raising 2 very respected and highly educated children (employed in law enforcement and the health industry), investing in property etc. then circumstances leading to zero employment opportunities, mainly because of age, find myself on Centrelink payments of which I have managed to budget well and am just able to keep my head above water and now our powers that be are trying to tell me I can't manage my own money (oops!! 'tax payers money') (Please remember, all Government bodies also live on tax payers money) so they will put me on a debit/credit card run by an unknown organisation at extraordinary costs to the 'tax payer' and only allow me 20% in cash. The other 80% will only be for verified/approved payments to companies on their list for things such as rent, utilities, food (where you can pay by card) etc. That's the short of it. You can learn more yourself as I had to.

I did join the "Say No to the Welfare Debit Card, Say No to Family Tax Cuts National" facebook to find out about it. This is a good start also. Big Brother Welfare Threat to 2.3m Australians in Budget - Consumer Action

What does this have to do with Vaping you say? Think about it if you are on Centrelink....in fact even if you're not. This means we will not be able to buy online for imports or national goods as ALL payments of that nature including paypal, ebay, credit/debit card etc will not be allowed. Which only leaves spending cash at a local vape shop and forget about nic imports... legal and accepted or not it won't happen.

That means our only other alternative is back to smokes... hmm.. hang on...the cost of smoke WILL end up being more than 20% of your cash allowance as these can't be purchased on this card either along with alcohol and gambling.

This has not happened yet, but there are fears that this could be implemented in next weeks budget. If this is the case I can see it having a huge impact on our local, national and international suppliers as they loose their centrelink customers.

In my mind, these two situations are married. What's your thoughts?
    I think I found the thread.

I some how do not think that it would be possible to FORCE all Centrelink recipients (with the exclusion of the Age Pension) to accept this card. It is a gross violation of an individuals freedom of choice as to with which banking institution one chooses to bank with. Does the government have the audacity to assume that all Centrelink recipients are mindless morons and cannot manage their fiances?

The GST fiasco has been submitted to the senate financial committee for review but it has not passed the upper house and its present model it it doubtful it will pass. The fiasco I refer to is the collection of GST for sales under $1k by overseas suppliers.

I would assume that this Welfare card will target communities where gambling and drinking is rife like among the aboriginal communities and in those communities there is a need of some sort of moderation. Common sense dictates that this option would be applied on a need to be applied basis where the recipient of welfare has a track record of financial miss management. To force it upon ALL welfare recipients I feel would lead to a challenge in the High Court of Australia and civil libertarians would raise quite a hue and cry on this tack.

Then there is a question as to why recipients of the Age Pension have been excluded from this, I am aware of a few age pensioners that also would qualify for this penalizing card. Does not make sense at all to me.

The administrative cost, like the administrative cost of collecting the GST bullshite, is mind boggling. $10k per person? Get real!
    Last edited by flyingfox12; 06-05-17 at 09:29 PM.
    ybnice likes this.

AVF Regular
    I see your point but then again the bigger picture of why there doing it...I still think it should stay I think it's a good idea... Stop all the drop kicks spending there money on drugs and alcohol and look after there kids.....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by the vaporizer View Post
    I see your point but then again the bigger picture of why there doing it...I still think it should stay I think it's a good idea... Stop all the drop kicks spending there money on drugs and alcohol and look after there kids.....
    With respect vaporizer, are you branding every welfare recipient in Australia a drop kick?
    I for one resent that, I once was a welfare recipient for 2 years and got off my back side and started my own business when they told me I was unemployable in my former trade, did this for three and a half years, sold it for a profit and then finally found a job.
    Last edited by flyingfox12; 06-05-17 at 09:50 PM.
    ybnice likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by the vaporizer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    With respect vaporizer, are you branding every welfare recipient in Australia a drop kick?
    I for one resent that, I once was a welfare recipient for 2 years and got off my back side and started my own business when they told me I was unemployable in my former trade, did this for three and a half years, sold it for a profit and then finally found a job.
    if so well i must be a welfare dropkick going through a 2 grand course to stop being a welfare drop kick

flyingfox12 likes this.
    If you dont know it. Ask

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by saph View Post
    if so well i must be a welfare dropkick going through a 2 grand course to stop being a welfare drop kick

Indeed saph, I went back to school as well, and enjoyed every minute of it, and now I have enough certificates to do virtually whatever I please. I have a finger in about 5 pies and I do not think I will need welfare before I get to the pearly gates or more likely the other warmer place LOL.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast