• 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By gert
  • 1 Post By PurpleVapes
  • 1 Post By Schtoo
  • 2 Post By Yuz

Thread: UK Vaping Laws

AVF Regular

UK Vaping Laws

I thought this warranted a thread on its own. This may be old news to some but on 20th May they bought in new Regulations re Vaping in the UK. Some of it not so good, especially the 2ml Tank. I dont own any 2ml Tanks. Mine are all 4ml, 5ml and 6ml because of less filling lol. I also would not be able to get my fav. Cappuccino. Put it this way, their Regulations are on the right track - way better than our backward ones which = a big fat 0 grrrrr.

These are the main Changes:-

Vapers in the UK are expected to encounter several changes as not only will there be less products on the market, but the amounts that they are able to consume will also be reduced. An article published yesterday on the The Mirror, pointed out that this could lead to some vapers not being able to match the same strength that they are accustomed to and although some may just buy more of the product in order to satisfy their cravings, others may resort back to smoking.

1. Restrict e-cigarette tanks to a capacity of no more than 2ml.
    2. Restrict the maximum volume of e-liquid for sale in one refill container to 10ml.
    3. Restrict e-liquids to a nicotine strength of no more than 20mg/ml.
    4. Require nicotine-containing products or their packaging to be child-resistant and tamper evident.
    5. Ban certain ingredients including colourings, caffeine and taurine.
    6. Include new labelling requirements and warnings.
    7. Require e-cigarettes and e-liquids be notified to health regulators before they can be sold.

Amongst the concerns surrounding these looming regulations are the fact that since there is a restriction on ingredients, the number of flavours available on the market may drop. Additionally, the fact that all e-liquids must be registered with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency prior to being sold, may dissuade manufacturers from launching new flavours, as this process could involve significant costs.

At least it is Legal to Vape Nicotine Juice which is a winner in my books.
    gert likes this.
    ""Tootle Puffer" on Starter Kits.

AVF Regular
    4, 5, and 6 are already being done (self regulation). 1, 2 and 3 are just stupid and ignorant. 7 is questionable - how are they going to use that information, there's too many products and no clear purpose to it.

I think once Brexit is a done deal, you won't find much interest in enforcing TPD type regulations. There's far more important things to be doing. Even if the EU makes them keep it as part of trade negotiations, just do what other counties do (like France) and just don't spend any money on enforcement.
    ybnice likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Vapers in some of the European Countries arent having too much joy either, there is talk of introducing a stonking new tax on prepared juices.
    I really dont see the point of it unless it's about an excuse to impose tax.
    ybnice likes this.

AVF Regular
    1. Restrict e-cigarette tanks to a capacity of no more than 2ml. Completely Stupid. Here's why: Badly written, Bad Law

2. Restrict the maximum volume of e-liquid for sale in one refill container to 10ml. Depending on differences in price between 3 x 10mL vs 1 x 30mL. If the difference is only a few cents, then I dont see this as a major screw up. It should be restricted to flavoured (Ready-to-Vape) ejuices only. Anything that affects DIY is stupid.

3. Restrict e-liquids to a nicotine strength of no more than 20mg/ml. It should be 24mg/mL (or whatever the most common highest strengths are) for flavoured ejuice only (Ive never heard of good tasting RTV ejuice above 24mg/mL. Someone link me to one and I'll believe you). Unflavoured nictoine should be allowed to stay at 72 or 100mg/mL

4. Require nicotine-containing products or their packaging to be child-resistant and tamper evident. This is only common sense

5. Ban certain ingredients including colourings, caffeine and taurine. Caffeine and Taurine are stupid anyway, you cant dissolve enough in PG/VG to get anywhere near the active amounts. But there should be a list of chemicals such as Diacetyl in which the manufactuer must report on the label of its contents when it is above a certain threshshold as stated in the AEMSA

6. Include new labelling requirements and warnings. Depends on what the message is. Anything that implies, even slightly that the product is anywhere near as dangerous as smoking is ludicrous, and should be scrapped.

7. Require e-cigarettes and e-liquids be notified to health regulators before they can be sold. What the hell does this mean? How much would it cost sellers, how much would it raise the prices?

During the TPD, there were a few that kept screaming for distinctive laws between regulating flavoured (RTV) ejuices and DIY liquids.

Some of the points made were that RTV kept to whatever was most common at the time, and DIY kept at 72mg/mL, but DIY liquids must have extensive labelling warning the consumer of its danger, and absolutely no marketing whatsoever on the bottle - had be be white label, and text, and absolutely nothing fancy. Those people were told to piss off, and now we have this.

RTV ejuices and DIY ejuices need to be regulated differently. The above is what happens when you dont make that distinction.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 24-05-17 at 06:01 PM.
    ybnice likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post

2. Restrict the maximum volume of e-liquid for sale in one refill container to 10ml. Depending on differences in price between 3 x 10mL vs 1 x 30mL. If the difference is only a few cents, then I dont see this as a major screw up. It should be restricted to flavoured (Ready-to-Vape) ejuices only. Anything that affects DIY is stupid.
    The difference is more than a few cents, and for those who use postage, it's based on the volume of parcel size, which means it will cost more. Also, what about the impact on landfill????

3. Restrict e-liquids to a nicotine strength of no more than 20mg/ml. It should be 24mg/mL (or whatever the most common highest strengths are) for flavoured ejuice only (Ive never heard of good tasting RTV ejuice above 24mg/mL. Someone link me to one and I'll believe you). Unflavoured nictoine should be allowed to stay at 72 or 100mg/mL
    Plenty of people vape high nic juice, including me. In the UK, many start off on 36mg. Taste is subjective and a personal choice.

7. Require e-cigarettes and e-liquids be notified to health regulators before they can be sold. What the hell does this mean? How much would it cost sellers, how much would it raise the prices?
    Read a post on UKVapers, where someone's liquid had doubled in price, all of this does nothing but discourage people from vaping, or continuing to do so.

Looks even more ridiculous when you consider that the NHS actually supply vapes for people who want to use them to quit.

It's a total stuff up, and has been from the day the idea was dreamed up by the EU

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FXVaper View Post

It's a total stuff up, and has been from the day the idea was dreamed up by the EU
    And folks wonder why the UK voted themselves out of the EU?

Don't get me wrong, I think the EU as an idea is a good one, but the execution of it is trying to force folks together who've spent millennia staying apart, and fought wars over staying distinct and unique. A little more leeway in how folks like to do things in their own backyards and it'd be a better thing all round.

Stu.
    FXVaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    Not that 'caffeine' and 'coffee flavours' are separate things, in much the same way that 'nicotine' and 'tobacco flavours' are different things.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

Yuz
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    I think the EU as an idea is a good one
    Says someone who doesn't live there.
    gert and blox4u like this.