Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Like Tree2396Likes

Thread: Federal Inquiry into the use of electronic cigarettes and personal vaperisers.

AVF Regular
    Sorry Brian. I know it was one of our SA brethren, and CBF searching out the thread. I know it wasn't mallee, or there would already be another fertile patch of beach down Salt Creek.
    DocM likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Oh and fab

Me thinking you getting behind the times - Chimpy is now running to gun control in the US after the last massacre - wondering if it is a rat abandoning a sinking ship or just profitable

Las Vegas Shooting: Australia Has a Gun Control Solution | Fortune
    He should stick to things he understands.

Yet my country, Australia, has discovered the vaccine to such gun massacres. In April 1996, six days after a misfit shot dead 35 people at Tasmania’s historic Port Arthur tourist site, our arch-conservative-led government passed the National Firearms Agreement, outlawing all civilian access to semiautomatic rifles and pump-action shotguns.
    I can have pump action shotguns that hold five rounds or less (category C) if I'm in a gun club and shoot clay targets once a year, and also semi automatic weapons (category D) if I'm an occupational shooter or are a primary producer. They are "civilians" last time I looked.

Martin Bryant should not have been able to buy guns by the laws then in place (he was on mental health disability)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant. That should have exempted him from owning guns in the first place.

I realise gun ownership is a controversial subject, and yes Australia is safer than it was in 1996, but the fact is that it is mostly smoke and mirrors. Those intent on harm can still get their hands on what they want, or worse.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post

I can have pump action shotguns that hold five rounds or less (category C) if I'm in a gun club and shoot clay targets once a year, and also semi automatic weapons (category D) if I'm an occupational shooter or are a primary producer. They are "civilians" last time I looked.

Martin Bryant should not have been able to buy guns by the laws then in place (he was on mental health disability)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant. That should have exempted him from owning guns in the first place.

I realise gun ownership is a controversial subject, and yes Australia is safer than it was in 1996, but the fact is that it is mostly smoke and mirrors. Those intent on harm can still get their hands on what they want, or worse.
    And what, prey tell, would that be?

tapatalk for photo upload 👍
    tapatalk for general usage 👎
    DocM likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    So sucking with a straw, and dribbling it into an array of random bottles doesn't pass your strict QC test then?
    LOL No, nor the use of pipettes with markings on them that might somewhere within 25% of accurate.

DocM, AllyP and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    And what, prey tell, would that be?
    Nasty stuff

AVF Regular

To give you the climate that existed in QLD when i was a teen during the 80'/early 90's vis a vis guns, it was like this. Walk into an Amart Sports store, walk to the back, buy an SKK (aka AK47 lite) with a 30 round clip , buy a ton of 7.62 short ammo, show some ID, and walk out. If you couldnt afford the SKK there was the SKS which fired the same 7.62 short miltary round but had a fixed 5 round clip. They did not sell many of those.....

Now let me tell you a little story about guns, australias porous borders (albeit in reverse) and destruction schemes....

Lets flashback to 1988 when i was at Kapooka....

At the time SLR's and M16's were being phased out of the australian army arsenal, in favour for the new Steyr gear. I was in probably one of the last intakes where we trained initially on the SLR. Ill technically break the secrets act again and tell you that those weapons schedlued for "decommissiong" werent all making that journey. One night as i was working in the officers mess, one does kind of work experience/duties while in training and mine was kitchen hand at the officers mess - great because we got to eat the same calibre of food they did, anyhoo at the end of night the cook and i and 3 others were having a smoke out the back (want to know the maximum number of smokes i ever smoked was, would have been in the army, used to go through cartons of them, often nothing to do but smoke) when he said "any of you guys interested in buying some guns?", and we're like "what do you mean?", he said "I have a mate at the armoury who is in charge of retiring and decommisioning the SLR's and M16's theyre phasing out". We thought he was bullshitting, that was until he took us back to his place and there in a cupboard was an M16. One of the other guys asked how much... "$600" he said. Now its important to know that neither i or anyone else took him up on the offer, and no point reporting it as, well at the time the culture was not conducive to it, i.e. the higher ups knew it was going on. But its also worth pointing out that at the time, a legal semi auto AR-15 (the civilian equivalent of the M16) was $2500 through a licensed dealer in most states.

Which feeds into the next story....

Guns ending up in strange places - an export story. In 1990 as i was ending my time with the armed forces, i was returned to my home base, where i bascially worked out of the head shed, making cups of coffee and doing mail runs, or amusing the brass with jokes. One day im sitting across the desk from one of the head shed when a communication from mother englands MOD came through, after reading it an "oh fudge, this isnt good" emanated from his mouth. He then put it on the desk and pushed it across..or i should say aroudn the very large ashtray that we constantly fileld because you could still smoke in government buildings back then and both of us were training to represent australia. It was a request to explain how an australian army SLR was found in a weapons cache in northern ireland. I think i migth have said something like "stick it on the bottom of your in tray, the fricking british have no business in ireland in the first place". I might have also said "fudge them". I think i can get away with telling that now as "the troubles" are over.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Which feeds into the next story....
    Which also feeds into yet another story... There was a news release at the time of the Port Arthur massacre that the gun used was found to be one that had previously been handed in as part of a buy back scheme in South Australia. I think it was SA. I guess they checked the serial numbers and discovered this rather disturbing fact - it should have been destroyed.

I guess your story kind of explains how that sort of thing happens. I'd imagine a few questions rather similar to your story would have been asked. That news item became a decidedly "non-event" and no more was ever said about it. Over 20 year on, it's almost like it never happened. I can assure everyone the news report did exist, but if you google it now there is nothing to be found, anywhere, so it's impossible to verify fact from fiction at this stage.

Prior to Port Arthur Australia was already moving towards gun control. We had gun licenses, and some states were starting to outlaw some firearms like the AR-10 (semi auto large calibre large magazine). It wasn't consistent though. Some states outlawed some guns, but other states did not necessarily follow suit, hence a gun that was illegal in SA was perfectly legal to sell in Tasmania (just not to someone known to mental health).

Oh, and the 7.62x39 round was the most terrible thing. The only stuff I ever saw was Chinese made, brown painted steel shells, and very inconsistent projectile weights. Good for a yippy shoot but that was about it. Does take me back though...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-10-17 at 05:41 PM.
    stylemessiah and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Which also feeds into yet another story... There was a news release at the time of the Port Arthur massacre that the gun used was found to be one that had previously been handed in as part of a buy back scheme in South Australia. I think it was SA. I guess they checked the serial numbers and discovered this rather disturbing fact - it should have been destroyed.

I guess your story kind of explains how that sort of thing happens. I'd imagine a few questions rather similar to your story would have been asked. That news item became a decidedly "non-event" and no more was ever said about it. Over 20 year on, it's almost like it never happened. I can assure everyone the news report did exist, but if you google it now there is nothing to be found, anywhere, so it's impossible to verify fact from fiction at this stage.

Prior to Port Arthur Australia was already moving towards gun control. We had gun licenses, and some states were starting to outlaw some firearms like the AR-10 (semi auto large calibre large magazine). It wasn't consistent though. Some states outlawed some guns, but other states did not necessarily follow suit, hence a gun that was illegal in SA was perfectly legal to sell in Tasmania (just not to someone known to mental health).

Oh, and the 7.62x39 round was the most terrible thing. The only stuff I ever saw was Chinese made, brown painted steel shells, and very inconsistent projectile weights. Good for a yippy shoot but that was about it. Does take me back though...
    I remember the story about that weapon supposed to have been destroyed Fab, so its not just you. But yeah, you cant find mention of it either.

All the 7.62 short i ever saw my friend buy was in plastic bags from a reloader...nothing like a 2/3/4? generation reload for reliability....

Mind you half the fun of having an SLR as your training weapon back in the day was getting one that didnt have a bung barrel (from many years of recruit use and abuse) or didnt require you to put the butt on the ground and use your foot to cycle the working parts...saw one that bad...obviously the armoury QC was not great that cycle. Not a bad gun though heavy - 5kg with a full mag, you could turn the semi version to fully auto with nothing more than a matchstick jammed into the safety sear...not that we tried it...it was a chargeable offense...but so was cotton hanging out of your button or buttonhole...seems like equivalency when it comes to charges hey...
    fabricator4, DocM and emu like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I think it may have been Brian??? who was left with a particularly sour taste in his mouth after buying some hardware from that particular vendor. They basically just produce and sell their juices in store for the inner urban hipsters. stylish setup marketed perfectly to the particular crowd that is their clientele. But it is patently obvious that the store bunnies are just that.

I was talking to one of the other avatar vendors a couple of weeks back, and he was implying (quietly) that they were pushing for a 32mg limit for instore juices, and that they would also push for 200mg limit for licensed vendors, as that would be necessary for mixing and diluting to saleable product. That was clearly BS.

How do any of those vendors expect to be able to make their juices if they can only get 20mg nic? But as CMB points out, I wouldn't feel confident letting those bozo's near anything stronger.
    Moose, I think you will find that the 20% applies to pre-mixed ready to vape juice that the dealers will sell, its an angle to try to make them the Messiahs and safeguards of all vapers, while the try for a monopoly
    DocM, stylemessiah, AllyP and 1 others like this.
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Regular
    Welp if people are determined to do someone over they will - pure and simple - the stories I can tell of other peoples near misses and murders of people I have known still give me trouble at time sleeping sometimes

Myself - just lucky I guess - 3 times on the wrong end of a gun at three different times in life (Lol starting to wonder if there is something about me ? )

All three times the guns were off the books unregistered - a shotgun, a navy issue pistol from the second world war and a sawn off shotgun and all three owned by very unstable people

Has gun control lowered the murder rates? Or has something else changed? Hard to tell - but most of the violent types I have known and those I have known that had committed murder sanctioned and unsanctioned but charged) dont set off to kill anyone - (although there is the occasional psychopath out there too)

All i know is that if someone is determined to do it they will gun or no gun - oh well

Either way chimpy is a douche and has no friggen idea
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 09-10-17 at 06:49 PM.
    NNA AU and general vape advocacy in Australia summed up-
    There is nothing to see here- it has nothing to do with you or vapers - Its not your business...
    Secrecy for the greater good... Enemies are everywhere

"If you see something ...Say say nothing...
    Then drink to forget ..."
    One of us... one of us...one of us....

Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast