• 1 Post By PurpleVapes
  • 3 Post By Northerner
  • 1 Post By rebelagainstthemachine

Thread: Dual-Use is the result of uneasy-access to Ecigs

AVF Regular

Dual-Use is the result of uneasy-access to Ecigs

http://www.drugandalcoholdependence....fulltext?cc=y=

Background
    Models measuring the interactions between consumption of conventional cigarettes and electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) in the marketplace are becoming vital forecast tools as the popularity of e-cigarettes increases and policy on tobacco products changes. Behavioral economics, which involves the integration of psychology and consumer demand, can be used to measure individuals’ purchase behavior under different marketplace conditions. Our goal was to measure hypothetical conventional cigarette and e-cigarette purchasing among smokers with varying e-cigarette use patterns.

Methods
    Daily cigarette smokers were recruited using Amazon Mechanical Turk, an online crowdsourcing tool. Participants were asked about their frequency of e-cigarette use and to complete hypothetical single and cross-commodity purchase tasks.

Results
    Frequency of e-cigarette use differentially affected how individuals consumed both conventional and e- cigarettes in different hypothetical marketplace conditions. The present study demonstrates four main findings: 1) the demand for conventional cigarettes was the lowest in those with greater frequency of e-cigarette use, 2) the demand for e-cigarettes was the highest in those with greater frequency of e-cigarette use, 3) when both products were available together, daily e-cigarette users purchased more e-cigarettes, but e-cigarettes served as a substitute for cigarettes in all groups regardless of frequency of use, and 4) the demand for conventional cigarette demand was lower in frequent e-cigarette users when e-cigarettes were concurrently available.

Conclusions
    Together, these data suggest that price and marketplace conditions will impact purchasing behavior of conventional and e-cigarettes users heterogeneously. Therefore, frequency of use patterns should be considered when implementing novel policies and/or marketplace changes.
    gert likes this.

AVF Regular
    Brilliant, I'm going to use this for my Inquiry submission. I've been trying to find a way to talk about availability and price being key to moving people away from tobacco products.
    PurpleVapes likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Also, I feel that dual use in Aus. is directly related to the lack of nicotine containing ejuice availability.
    Smokers smoke for the nicotine but die from the smoke & tar, they may be able to reduce their cancer stick per day consumption by dual using nicotine free vaping products but they still want/need the nicotine, making nicotine ejuice available would reduce dual use numbers greatly.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Also, I feel that dual use in Aus. is directly related to the lack of nicotine containing ejuice availability.
    Smokers smoke for the nicotine but die from the smoke & tar, they may be able to reduce their cancer stick per day consumption by dual using nicotine free vaping products but they still want/need the nicotine, making nicotine ejuice available would reduce dual use numbers greatly.
    That and that most smokers dont know or are uncomfortable with online shopping/importing things.

And also, most people are generally unorganised, and the thought of stocking up on decades worth of nicotine is unappealing as it would just be one extra thing to worry about.

Most smokers wont switch until they can go down to their local Coles or Woolies and buy a 30mL bottle.
    gert likes this.

AVF Regular
    And there is soooo much misinformation out there. It's a commonly held belief that nicotine is a deadly poison and there's little to no advantage in swapping.

The amount of people I talk to who believe e-cigs are just as dangerous as combustibles is amazing. The propaganda really has worked.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Also no evidence anywhere that nicotine itself is the addictive component in traditional cigarettes or NRTs for that matter.. in fact it appears to be the contrary

As speculation without looking into it properly- Maybe why ANTZ a few years ago discouraged the whole labeling of nicotine mgs on cigarette packets with the whole it does not matter spiel they had ?

Yep the ANTZ propaganda has worked - and continues to work it seems .....

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    And there is soooo much misinformation out there. It's a commonly held belief that nicotine is a deadly poison and there's little to no advantage in swapping.

The amount of people I talk to who believe e-cigs are just as dangerous as combustibles is amazing. The propaganda really has worked.
    gert likes this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs