Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Another explosion

AVF Regular
    Queensland Between Brisbane and Gold Coast

Another explosion

I would just like to remind everyone on the importance of battery saftey.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_...es&sh=8a4f83b6

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    gert and g12528 like this.
    Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we’re proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: we are what we chose to be.

AVF Regular
    Don't forget people, we are ex-smokers. A pouch of tobacco plus extras $65 every 2-3 days. It would cost less to be buying 4 new batts, twice a week from Supersports???? Don't f^@k around with iffy batteries, and don't skimp a few cents, searching for a better deal.
    g12528, Fatman, Cath Mort and 4 others like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Once again the explosion is a Mech Mod. This hardware is not for common Joe to grab a battery juice it up and fire these are for advanced users only.
    trumpy955 and ybnice like this.

AVF Regular
    Scummy counterfeiters strike again. Re-wrapping incendiary ICR batteries as IMR and INR quality. They should go to jail - the penalties in China for this kind of thing can be quite harsh.

This really concerns me a lot because even reputable retailers can get scammed by dealers in Asia. Battery Mooch has said this a few times.

I think I could spot a fake based on performance, but I have decades of experience tinkering with electronics. I don't really have any solutions but I do wonder what the warning signs were that were missed this time.

The two batteries talked about in that post are Hohm Life (in the dripbox) and LG unspecified (in a VTC mini). For them both to be on fire they would have to be ICR chemistry, not safe chemistry, so most likely re-wraps. Either that or Hohmtech have let their standards slip since Mooch tested that battery.

I've really got no solutions. The recommendation to replace batteries monthly, or with great frequency does worry me though. Given that these batteries would appear to have been selected with a reasonable amount of care, buying more batteries just means a greater likelihood of getting some scammers re-wraps.

All of the batteries I have now are authentic. The ones I buy tomorrow may not be. Given that I only use safe chemistry batteries, I actually feel safer with my aging IMR and INR batteries than I would with a counterfeit ICR cell that I've just bought.

ETA: I've just gone over my VTC mini with the continuity tester. The battery sled is plastic, and the body is connected to the Earth pin anyway. The +ive contact is a smooth button type and the only way that could short the battery is if the wrap is so badly damaged that it almost isn't there - and the short would occur when inserting or removing the battery. This one cooked off by itself with flame, so the most likely cause was a damaged ICR battery that had an internal short. Reasons for an internal short are if the battery is discharged too far and left in that state, or was physically damage during manufacture or by dropping it. (Physical damage during manufacture was what causes all those Samsung Notes to turn into fire bombs).

I put this squarely on the counterfeiters. They are hiding this rubbish under the wraps of reputable battery companies and putting our people and industry in grave danger. Finding out who is doing this and finding some way to stop it is critical.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-06-17 at 11:53 AM.
    gert, margyb, gtadmin and 5 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I was reading a post by mooch talking about how alot of the popular batteries now are turning into rewraps like the lghg2s are starting to be 10amp batts in disguise. His advice was go to the less popular batteries like the 30q(now rated at 20amps) and he2/4's because they're not really targeted. It's still terrifying though finding out you have a really wrap in the most extreme way.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    DogMan likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have some ideas for a battery tester that could be could be used by almost anyone. I don't think such a device exists at the moment.
    Noe, DogMan, DocM and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    (Physical damage during manufacture was what causes all those Samsung Notes to turn into fire bombs).
    Actually, I'd heard that the Samsung Note fires were because someone in engineering forgot that lithium polymer batteries expand and contract through a charge/discharge cycle, and the mechanical stress caused the batteries to fail.

No head room makes for big boom!

I use Sony, only because Panasonic or Sanyo don't make appropriate batteries. As soon as Panasonic does, I'll procure some. I might see if they're working on something (in 18650 size) or have something lying around if the opportunity* presents itself.

And if I end up with a larger cell mod (26-27 something?) I know Panasonic has something for that and it'll be easy to put in my request for a few.

(* I have an 'in' or two at Panasonic. The kind of in that would drop a box of cells on me, and look at me like I murdered a kitten if I even slightly tried to pay for them. So long as they're for my own amusement of course...)

Fab, tester? Like how car battery places will load test a battery to see if it's any good?

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Actually, I'd heard that the Samsung Note fires were because someone in engineering forgot that lithium polymer batteries expand and contract through a charge/discharge cycle, and the mechanical stress caused the batteries to fail.

No head room makes for big boom!
    According to information from Samsung, the fault was traced to the attachment of the contact to the plates. It was done in such a way as to puncture the plates and create a potential short later. That's why they could go into instant melt down at any time, whether they were on or off...

They are prismatic cells, basically LiPo chemistry, so not safe. Insisting on safe chemistry batteries would increase the cost and the space required but I do believe we're at the point now where it should not optional for devices that people carry in their pockets and onto planes or public transport.

Fab, tester? Like how car battery places will load test a battery to see if it's any good?
    A little more sophisticated than that. It would need to detect voltage drop under load, and temperature, stuff like that. I could design the testing parameters and requirements, but would struggle with the micro-processor design. I believe that kind of thing is a lot easier these days though. (I did HC11 design, back in the day, for things like buffer boxes (now there's a term I haven't heard in decades LOL).

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I have some ideas for a battery tester that could be could be used by almost anyone. I don't think such a device exists at the moment.
    Just do it Fab!.... I have enough trouble getting my head around all this stuff as it is without worrying about batteries too. Besides, in all these years I've grown to like my face a little so would rather keep it for a while longer thanks. Especially since I wouldn't know the difference in a safe one to a non safe one.
    gert likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well this thread went full Fab quite quickly...
    Noe, gtadmin, Fatman and 4 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast