Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Psychiatrists want e-cigarettes ban lifted - from SMH

AVF Regular
    My psychiatrist told me that my desire to suck on a 6 inch black rod and spew white stuff from my mouth was merely a manifest of something else.

I never sought his treatment again after that. A few months later I saw him vaping the exact same type of black mod I was using.

err. edit:

Last edited by PurpleVapes; 21-07-17 at 09:39 PM.

AVF Regular
    I listened to this. Thought the Psychiatrist person was doing well, but was obviously not completely across all of the evidence. The CC person spouted their usual nonsense, however, some good questioning did force a couple of concessions from their usual hardline stance. However, they did repeat the "95% safer figure was dreamed up by 12 people, some of whom had been funded by BT" - I thought that had been sorted out? Psychiatrist person couldn't refute the Gateway to smoking trash from CC, which was a pity.

There were some positive txt msgs read out, and there were, I think 2 negatives along the lines of smoking tanks, vaping stinks ban it all. I sent a txt about quitting by vaping, but I mainly wanted to thank ABC for a more balanced piece. Trust me, all of the others have been disgraceful as far as letting the CC have free rein with no rebuttal or hard questions.

A caller rang in who was really lovely in that she said that if vaping would help people to quit, then it should be legalised, as it was cruel to deny ppl the opportunity of a healthier alternative - she has a non smoking daughter who has severe mental health issue, so the caller was used to the other housemates being forced onto the footpath to have a smoke.

So, have to say, by far the best I've heard from the ABC in Adelaide, CC rubbish not withstanding

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    They were discussing this on ABC local radio today, with a representative from RANZCP and the Cancer Council.

Typically ill informed 'experts'. Ms Cancer Council was so anti-vape, sprouting such sage advice as "we should give the mentally ill safe, proven products like Champix".

Any callers ringing in to say otherwise were suitably remonstrated for their quackery, by 'the expert'.
    DocM and emu like this.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    They were discussing this on ABC local radio today, with a representative from RANZCP and the Cancer Council.

Typically ill informed 'experts'. Ms Cancer Council was so anti-vape, sprouting such sage advice as "we should give the mentally ill safe, proven products like Champix".

Any callers ringing in to say otherwise were suitably remonstrated for their quackery, by 'the expert'.
    She obviously hasn't tried, or been suicidal as a result of using, Champix.
    stylemessiah and Bathory like this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    She obviously hasn't tried, or been suicidal as a result of using, Champix.
    Would be happy to send her some.
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    As a person with mental ill health (I have Borderline Personality Disorder) I highly approve of this message! I wish I could give up nicotine, but I'm not mentally healthy enough ATM to even consider trying, when the slightest change is enough to trigger emotional dysregulation & potential harm.

The NHS over in Britain has been very supportive of vaping for their psychiatric payments. I think it'd a great idea for those in involuntary confinement, unable to smoke due to hospital legislation (if they were to allow vaping instead).

NOTE: My location is Surfers Paradise, QLD.

I'd add it to my profile, but Gmail keeps eating my password reset emails, so I can't login via PC, however I'm logged in via the phone app... so this will have to suffice for now!
    stylemessiah, emu and ozman like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    "evidence that suggests it represents a gateway drug to heavier use of tobacco" - as the devil's advocate, can someone point me to this evidence? Commentators were talking about the lack of such evidence in the UK from a large sample unless they were outright lying...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ozman View Post
    "evidence that suggests it represents a gateway drug to heavier use of tobacco" - as the devil's advocate, can someone point me to this evidence? Commentators were talking about the lack of such evidence in the UK from a large sample unless they were outright lying...
    Yes it's a lie. Only by twisting results can they even make the claim for evidence of vaping leading to youth smoking. It makes for great headlines though, so naive journalists and those too lazy to pull their heads out of their collective fundaments are happy to run with it. It's the one thing that finally convinced me that journalism in the modern world is in serious trouble, if they let themselves be manipulated so easily while showing such a small amount of integrity. Maybe not all of them, but enough to leave a very bad taste...

So far the only real evidence seems to point to harm reduction, the normalisation of vaping and a gateway out of smoking for both youth and long term smokers.

Eventually these lies are going to catch up with them. Can't happen soon enough for me.
    Cath Mort and ozman like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12