Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By Ginar
  • 3 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By emu
  • 4 Post By CMB
  • 5 Post By JenJ
  • 3 Post By flyingfox12

Thread: A petition started to send to Senator David Leyonhjelm .....

AVF Regular

A petition started to send to Senator David Leyonhjelm .....

We call on the Australian Federal Parliament to legalise the use of nicotine in electronic nicotine delivery devices (e-cigarettes) as a less harmful alternative to smoking tobacco.
    We support exempting low concentrations of nicotine liquid for this purpose from Schedule 7 of the Poisons Standard and implementing appropriate standards and regulations for these products.
    This is in the best interests of tobacco smokers who are otherwise unable or not yet ready to quit using nicotine. It would reduce smoking-related illness and death and associated health care costs, as well as improve public health.
    Tobacco smoking remains one of the most serious public health problems in Australia, responsible for the deaths of at least 15,000 Australians and costing the economy at least $ 31.5 billion every year.
    It is estimated that at least 6 million tobacco smokers in the European Union and around 2 million in the United Kingdom have quit smoking tobacco using e-cigarettes. Many of them had previously been unable to stop smoking using more readily available treatments.
    Hundreds of thousands of Australian use e-cigarettes.
    It should be straightforward for tobacco smokers to switch to a less harmful means of managing their nicotine dependence, but in Australia, current laws make it exceedingly difficult.
    Importantly, research suggests that the ready availability of e-cigarettes may accelerate the decline in youth smoking rates, contradicting concerns to the contrary.
    In the United Kingdom, United States of America, European Union, Canada and New Zealand, governments from both sides of politics have either legalised nicotine-containing e-cigarettes or are in the process of doing so.
    Having achieved international acclaim in reducing tobacco-related harm by implementing plain packaging for tobacco products and other effective tobacco control strategies, Australia is now falling behind other countries, in addressing the avoidable health, social and financial costs of smoking tobacco.
    The time has come for the Australian Government to acknowledge consumer preferences, act in accordance with other Western governments and respond to both international medical research and common sense.
    Support and encourage smokers who wish to reduce the harms caused by tobacco by switching to safer alternatives.
    Make vaping legal.
    This petition will be delivered to:
    Senator Australian Parliament
    Senator David Leyonhjelm
    The aim of the petition is to show there is support for vaping.

Here is a link to the petition.
    /https://www.change.org/p/senator-dav...-in-australia/
    Danny76, Jemor and Mouse1 like this.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    I think this might be a little late as it's basically what is already in the Senate Inquiry, but I signed it anyway. It might help get it passed in the Senate.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    I think this might be a little late as it's basically what is already in the Senate Inquiry, but I signed it anyway. It might help get it passed in the Senate.
    Yeah, only started four days ago. I'm guessing from the small target (500 signatures) it's intended for delivery before the 4th if possible to help with the bill. These signature things can't do anything on their own because they are too easy to ignore normally (thankyou, I'll just file this in the round filing cabinet), but when added to something that's already gaining momentum inside the political arena those that are working on it will take more notice and are in a better position to use it to best advantage. I hope it makes the target.
    rockmoose, flyingfox12 and Jemor like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Me to can't hurt to bolster numbers.
    flyingfox12 and Jemor like this.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Do you reckon I'd ruin it if I signed my name Remington Winchester?
    floorzone2, Fatman, DocM and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Do you reckon I'd ruin it if I signed my name Remington Winchester?

Probably not
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    Exactly. Every little bit helps.

This petition was started by 'Dr Joe', a GP who is quite well known in the media in WA and is a strong supporter of vaping. The petition is strongly backed by Professor Colin Mendelsohn and Dr Alex Wodak who have both signed. It's been circulated among their colleagues in the medical and health arena and collected a lot of signatures so far from health professionals. The NNA have been urged to encourage as many vapers, their families and friends, to sign it as possible because big numbers of signatories mean more political power. The petition is meant to give more weight (hopefully an impressive weight if we can get large numbers of vapers to sign it) to the issue of vaping via Leynholm's current bill.

If anyone is worried that by signing the petition they are supporting Leynholm, don't be. He and his bill are just a stepping stone and a handy way to get the petition delivered to parliament. The bill has been sent to the Community Affairs Committee for Inquiry which is cross party. If the Committee assessment is positive, the Health Minister then may prepare a government Bill on the same issue. So things are really starting to hot up politically. But unless support for vaping continues to grow they'll all get bored and move on to something else!

It's just really important to get numbers to show that a lot of people care about this issue, not just professionals and bureaucrats. So please don't hesitate to sign it, and share the hell out of it!
    gert, CMB, Cath Mort and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Numbers are up from 469 last night, to 608 this morning!

Big thanks to Matt from The Flavour Republic, he's always been a fantastic champion for vaping.

AVF Regular
    Signed, as well, the only thing I dislike about that petition site is that it is a spam mail generator. Thank God for Mail Washer Pro, I have blocked their junk mail.
    rockmoose, emu and Jemor53 like this.