View Poll Results: Should AVF Remove the Political Sub-Forum?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 19.05%
  • No

17 80.95%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Should AVF Remove the Political Sub-Forum

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Sorry for posting yet again Purple but the boss lady has asked me to input this on her behalf. Here in CQ we have not seen another vaper. If they exist they are like unicorns and to scared to be seen. We have learnt more here by following links posted in that forum and youtube videos watched then we would ever have found ourselves. So to that end it can almost be an invaluable area for some people.
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    The most articulated responses in any political argument on this forum are often by those informing everyone that AVF is not a ecig political hub, but more for a place for people to share their interests on vaping in and of itself (devices/ejuice/mixing/coil building, Mod Making etc), and for helping new comers.

Mods can always delete political posts in other sub forums, and ban members that persist in this activity.
    I think the point is that if that stuff has its own sub forum, then people can choose to go and read it to be informed if they want. For others that find it too painful it's a good opportunity to just not go to those sub forums. There's lots of good information on the political threads - US, UK, NZ, Canada and of course Australia. For some people this might be their only source of information as to what is going on, and as a community I think it would be a mistake to just pretend that it doesn't exist and everything is hunky-dory when it isn't.

I don't believe there's any other vaping (sub) forum that has quite the same mix of personalities, broad news interests, and Australia centric news and opinions. By all means report posts that spill over onto the regular forum threads when they shouldn't though.

ETA: I personally usually avoid the classifieds on the basis that it leads me to spend money I shouldn't, and most of the vendor threads because I simply don't have the time or the inclination. There's something to be said for self censorship.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 28-10-17 at 09:44 PM.
    giruvian, margyb, Fatman and 8 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post

ETA: I personally usually avoid the classifieds on the basis that it leads me to spend money I shouldn't, and most of the vendor threads because I simply don't have the time or the inclination. There's something to be said for self sensorship.
    I, the competitions and pif's incoming. To the point of a dedicated thread, there are plenty here already.
    Most metaphors do not bear up to close scrutiny

Killed the nails before they killed me. 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

AVF Regular
    I am interested to know why the leading questions when you know that AVF is what it is. Plus I suppose your question is also political....... AVF politics so as local as it gets.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I am a bit confused about the what, how n why of the Q? pv... seems to me you have posted a few threads in the Political and Media Discussion thread... so is it another type of politics you want removed... the politics of clone vs orignal.. the politics of USA juices Vs UK vs Aussie, the politics of vaping in Australia, or the politics of silly stuff, funny things and whacky ideas in any case I voted no cos.. just cos I am one of those that thinks bumping into ideas that do not naturally occur to you, can be a rrrrreally good thing

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    I really don't think removing the political subforum is a good idea. We need it to keep all the political stuff confined in!

Politics are going to come up, and differences of opinion are going to happen between any group of people. It's an unavoidable fact of life - Not everyone you meet is going to agree with you about everything. That's part of the risk of socially interacting with people, but it's also what keeps things interesting and educational.

At least this way, political stuff is confined to an appropriate location. Better that all the biffs and shoving are happening in one easily avoidable place, rather than derailing every other thread everywhere else. The rest of the forum IS the non-political pure hobby forum!

We're all adults here. We KNOW politics means differences of opinion, and things MAY get heated at times. It's entirely up to each individual as to what degree they want to engage in that.

There's nothing wrong with not engaging with the political subforum if you don't feel like it. There's nothing wrong with reading it, then closing the tab if it's not being enjoyable anymore (hell, I give it wide berth pretty often because I KNOW I can get bogged down wasting time writing a long ass boring post that will change nobodies opinions, and there are better, more enjoyable things I could be doing).

And it's absolutely 100% OK to JUST engage with the bits of the vaping world you enjoy, and ignore the rest. Free time is a very precious, limited resource - you should be spending it doing things you actually enjoy.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    And on a purely practical note - the mods don't have access to do that sort of stuff and Jato is MIA.

This here endeth the thread

Gt fm ingrid have enough on their plate moderating
    The supreme lord of this place couldn't give 2 shits about it as has been proven time and time again
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    Heres why im voting neither way, because i see it as an extension, or unplanned consequence, of the thread created recently by someone who wreaked havoc here once before and was dead set on a drive by in their newfound irrelevance. The poll would already add the feeding they got. That threads now closed. For me i see it as a blip. Shows over folks, now back to your original programming.

We had this conversation about should/shouldnt we have a poltiical thread some time ago. In the end people arrived at the very advice already repeated here, if you dont like a thread, dont visit it.

Groundhog day
    giruvian, DogMan, Tara and 4 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I wonder what Algeria is doing nowadays
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    and... seeing that .... I am often wrong.. but never uncertain... agrees style.. agreed..

have you ever watched a cat sniff... they do not just use their nose.. ..
    DocM and stylemessiah like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast