View Poll Results: Should AVF Remove the Political Sub-Forum?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 19.05%
  • No

17 80.95%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Should AVF Remove the Political Sub-Forum

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Heres why im voting neither way, because i see it as an extension, or unplanned consequence, of the thread created recently
    Not really an extension of that thread but it did get me thinking.

Ive been vaping for 6 years now, and the politics of this debate has progressed nowhere since then.

Nicotine ejuice will never be legal in any state of Australia, and forums like this bring in all kinds of weird people.

I just dont see the point of it anymore. We've lost. They won. Let's just enjoy vaping for what it is while we can without the politics.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post

Nicotine ejuice will never be legal in any state of Australia
    if provape would stop being retarded sure it will.

I could do it, i could legalise it aus wide in 6 months with a blank check.
    12 months if i dont get immunity from prosecution.

AVF Regular
    Out of curiosity which forums and why would you want politics taken out of AVF?

Looking around at other forums it seems they are not also without their political entertainment?

But
    Like hoofy said -

"AVF political content tends to be choppy and chaotic but its rarely sugar coated or spun into fanciful tales.
    We dump the raw info, fight about it but in the end its up to the reader to make up their own minds....."

and that is why even if I sometimes dont agree with some people on some topics - I have at least developed a good respect for most here as people and the fact they have their own their views.

It is very rare in life to find people even on the internet who are honest even brutally so at times but with the intelligence often to match - and enough intelligence that they are able to make up their own minds on everything from day to day politics to vape politics without having to feel they need to suck up or follow any particular pack or stay hating others on something that really is as trivial as politics - for me thats worth respecting

The mods here (all of them) have somehow managed to get people from all walks of life and often from extreme ends of the spectrum to mostly get along I dont know about you - but I think that is quite an achievement

I dont see the point in taking that away from AVF - It is something pretty unique both in the real world and on the internet

There are plenty other forums people can go to for political discussions.

I'd like to see AVF in its pure form as a vaping interest forum.
    giruvian, Fractal, DocM and 5 others like this.
    Support the closed autocratic NNA AU lobby group-
    Give money, sign and fill what we say then STFU- its called unity!

You actually thought that your action & thoughts matter?Its "experts" only buddy
    Pfft don't like it?... go away and start your own
    All Hail the NNA AU vape overlords!
    Delete & block the negative! It never happened- its in the past MKAY?
    (or face members & supporters wrath & tears...)
    Infiltrate, Dominate & assimilate all unbelievers..Welcome to the new NNA AU echo chamber

AVF Regular
    mainly referring to reddit, twitter and facebook forums. I wasnt aware there were any other forums.

I am thinking of running my own forum, free of politics and quite simplistic, only known to smokers I meet in person. Basically an extension of an information website spawned out my idea to run a non-profit vape-store for friends and family. I've registered a new forum. Just deciding on whether its worth it to buy a domain name and maintain it.

I've resigned from the hope of nicotine liquids ever becoming legalised, and I've conceded that vaping requires certain personality traits that a lot of smokers don't possess. You need to have the ability and organisation skills to think long term to store sufficient volumes Nicotine, VG, PG and coils/or coil material. You need to be computer/internet literate. You need to be willing to take care of your vape, and be open to the finicky aspect of pulling apart your tank regularly, cleaning it and reinstalling coils. A lack of any one of these personality traits will see the switch to vaping a failure.

I think the main factor in creating a politics-free vape forum that appeals to me most, is that it will attract actual vapers.

I've noticed there are a few people who are active in the political forums that aren't so active in the regular vape forums. I have a strong suspicion that these people are just lonely individuals who dont actually vape, but the political side of vaping appeals to them as it gives them some kind of social interaction, and gives them a position in a 'marginalised group', gaining a sense of victimhood, and therefore a sense of higher moral high ground for which to express their wider political opinions. Sometimes judging by their antagonistic interactions, I can tell why online interactions appeals to them.

AVF Regular
    mainly referring to reddit, twitter and facebook forums. I wasnt aware there were any other forums.

I am thinking of running my own forum, free of politics and quite simplistic, only known to smokers I meet in person. Basically an extension of an information website spawned out my idea to run a non-profit vape-store for friends and family. I've registered a new forum. Just deciding on whether its worth it to buy a domain name and maintain it.

I've resigned from the hope of nicotine liquids ever becoming legalised, and I've conceded that vaping requires certain personality traits that a lot of smokers don't possess. You need to have the ability and organisation skills to think long term to store sufficient volumes Nicotine, VG, PG and coils/or coil material. You need to be computer/internet literate. You need to be willing to take care of your vape, and be open to the finicky aspect of pulling apart your tank regularly, cleaning it and reinstalling coils. A lack of any one of these personality traits will see the switch to vaping a failure.

I think the main factor in creating a politics-free vape forum that appeals to me most, is that it will attract actual vapers.

I've noticed there are a few people who are active in the political forums that aren't so active in the regular vape forums. I have a strong suspicion that these people are just lonely individuals who dont actually vape, but the political side of vaping appeals to them as it gives them some kind of social interaction, and gives them a position in a 'marginalised group', gaining a sense of victimhood, and therefore a sense of higher moral high ground for which to express their wider political opinions. Sometimes judging by their antagonistic interactions, I can tell why online interactions appeals to them.
    I say this with the greatest of calm/respect. Do not mistake it for a dig, im just trying to reflect how your post may be interpreted, and this is just my take on it.

For someone who isnt "political" youve "resigned from the hope of nicotine liquids ever becoming legalised". Thats taking a position, sorry, its defeatist one, and i do understand where you migth have arrived at it, really....

Me, i remain non-active on the activism side of things (i have done that early on when i first started, pointless meetings with the Heart Foundation for one), but overly hopeful that we will as a community as a whole will prevail, if not by direct action, by overwhelming data and research etc, i think its a matter of time.
    I like to check in on the political threads to see what the news is, and i appreciate thsoe who take the time to post the articles, for me to read if i choose.

I think the average vaper is much like me on here. Minus the Poo gags and ownership of a teddy bear...

A lot of what you say could be taken as insulting to the average forum member here, particularly this:

We like to think we're actual vapers here....i know many people i regularly chat to in real life evens....cant get real-ler than that, ive seen them vape in real life too, so theryre real "actual vapers" in every sense of the word. I like many have actually gone out in real life to help new vapers with gear demos, emergency spares etc.

By all means feel free to start your own forum, people have gone down that road before here on AVF, left and created their own...i believe you met one such person the other night, during her drive by...

As has already been said, visit the threads you like, avoid the ones you dont, and dont ask for the forum to change to fit your personal likes/dislikes, if we did that for eveyrone, there would be no threads beyond bloody All That Squonks and a Random Kitten thread for me and LNB...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 29-10-17 at 01:05 AM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

emu
    AVF Regular
    No politics or religion on my forum, just how I like it and funny enough so does everyone else. Lots of topics for when we get bored of talking vape though.

AVF Regular
    The news section and political threads

You know purple around the time that donna and others were full on trashing AVF to help start the other forum and bounce the NNA AU and there was alot of cross forum crap (some caused by me as a hangover from the herdeen thing and my then over zealousness - some people in all fairness have never forgiven me for my douchery ) there was also alot of talk about banning politics from AVF - It was thought by quite a few that people couldn't handle it cause it is too contentious and toxic for the forum - AVF in part bc of that and in part bc of the background code mechanics (among other things) became somewhat of a graveyard

It was around that time I looked at what was happening to AVF and took a deep breath and started to take stock of my own behavior, the effect I had on others, and started to take responsibility openly for my screw ups and acknowledging where I had done damage - There were only a few of us posting at that time and I stuck to the funny picture thread mostly and noticed that people wanted to have their say but were often shut down by others , while other people were nervous about talking politics altogether - cause the previous experience of the succession of Alegria, herdeen case, clone wars, nna au, opening of vape cafe and vapers vs snusers all in relatively short time span had shaken everyone

I took the time to begin to really try and get an understanding of what was happening and why - Including my own part- I asked alot of questions from alot people - including those who I thought would not speak to me after my own stupidity

I learned alot both about AVF and myself

However, after some time - and not seeing any vape/snus news being posted anywhere in australia regularly - I slowly started posting at first one or two non contentious articles at a time trying to do it in a way where people didnt feel forced to support or not support anything in particular - but rather more so that they could have their coffee and a chat - as this started to go on more and more without arguments - people stopped asking for politics to be dropped from AVF and my news dumps were born - the good the bad the ugly and interesting alot alot of things but always upfront and honest as I could get it

I have hoped over time that someone else would start posting regularly in a non partisan kind of way - but sadly that hasnt happened - noone will post the news regularly in the news thread and so I became I suppose the dominant voice where news is concerned throwing up the news every couple of days or so or when it becomes available -

I would still like to see someone take over - not to incite advocacy - but so vapers and snusers in Australia are informed about their own world and the bigger world/picture around them - good and bad, honest, direct and upfront

The truth be known- since I have been posting the news - there have been very few arguments about politics - Arguments do revolve around the other the forums vape advocacy group - that being said - it would be nice that someone post here occasionally in an official capacity on locked thread so that vapers here are informed ?

If you think you want to take the news over please do - I really without sarcasm do not mind

Your own forum
    By all means start your own forum if thats what you want to do - there is probably some good advice to be had from the mods here, or Angela and others from the cafe or from emu - others here from what I know have either run forums or been mods at other forums - dont ask me who or what Its not something I would remember

I agree with style - It is being defeatist- but thats up to you you have your own mind and thoughts

Also I agree with others who say wait and see what happens when the handover from Donna comes for the NNA AU- apparently it is still in progress and despite all its current problems may yet surprise people with a complete turn around to be more inclusive, upfront, yada yada (People can only hope right? and just cause it is sh*t right now does not mean it cant change?) Maybe they will do better - I dont know

Your suspicions

As to your "strong suspicion that these people are just lonely individuals who dont actually vape, but the political side of vaping appeals to them as it gives them some kind of social interaction, and gives them a position in a 'marginalised group', gaining a sense of victimhood, and therefore a sense of higher moral high ground for which to express their wider political opinions. Sometimes judging by their antagonistic interactions, I can tell why online interactions appeals to them."

I would hate to think that people would have to personally offer you proof of vaping before they post in the political threads- perhaps if you pm those people who you suspect of using vaping for reasons of self importance - you might find that there are very good and valid reasons that some stay very guarded or keep pretty private.

Also - Many more especially established vapers and snusers (and also I DIY my own lozenges thanks to this forum giving me the idea in the first place ) dont interact very much with the main forum outside of off topic - simply cause there is not much to say and that the gear they use has lasted long enough so as not to warrant any new purchases for long periods of time

I mean really - who wants to see my old battered IPV with some tank and coils that I have had in stock for nearly a year now -so old I cant even tell you what brand it is anymore - or hear that I threw in with housey the other week for some vg form sydney vapers (They give some nice little freebies btw) or that finally I gave in a few weeks ago and bought another cuboid and coils from fasttech cause the old one was so battered and on its last legs

Am happy to leave the handchecks to the new ones and to the ones with mods worth showing off - hell even my concentrates and other junk are just shoved into a random basket bc the little one knows not to touch - I am erratic and dont have space for some pretty display for vape stuff

A couple of things Purple that this forum taught me

are that when in doubt or unsure - ask- do it on forum or via pm whatever is appropriate - most people will not fault you for asking what you are not sure about 'even if things with them in public are not so crash hot

Also - nothing is as cut or dry as it first seems .. just because you think you are right does not mean you are ...

Also just because there is only one voice speaking against or for something alone - does it mean that that voice is actually alone or not worth listening to -

People are complex things - and groups even more so

And lastly if you try to get your point across by force, through gossip, by shouting people down, guilt or shaming etc .. it just wont work and will always turn people off listening to you - Best to be honest and as upfront as you can in the most appropriate setting - but be prepared for some backlash if you dont follow the loudest crowd - I should know -

Good luck in whatever you decide and however you proceed

Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 29-10-17 at 01:25 AM.
    giruvian, gtadmin, Fatman and 5 others like this.

You actually thought that your action & thoughts matter?Its "experts" only buddy
    Infiltrate, Dominate & assimilate all unbelievers..Welcome to the new NNA AU echo chamber

AVF Regular

I've noticed there are a few people who are active in the political forums that aren't so active in the regular vape forums. I have a strong suspicion that these people ... dont actually vape.....

They vape.

Or, to be more precise: The old NNA-AU board members (Dr Danko, Donna and Jennifer) vape. I have met each of those people real life and I personally attest that, at the times (plural) I met them, they were seasoned, regular long term vapers. I'd venture that each have been vapers for four or more years.

It is possible they may have given up vaping since I last met them, but I do not think that likely.

NOTE that I only make that one statement and I make no other comment about any of the many things that have been said and claimed in this thread.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

AVF Regular
    New rules for those who wish to post in vape or snus forums on any thread?

Thou shalt meet up with or befriend at least one more vaper in real life to verify that you actually vape - there are absolutely no excuses for not doing so- failing to do so will cast doubt on the validity of anything you say or do and may also subject you to whispers and gossip from the righteous ones- Only people verified in real life as vapers will have any value - all else are scum

Smokers are dirty and smelly and therefore should be avoided at all costs - Vape advocacy is about vapers and nicotine and maybe if it suits snus and no other subject -

Public health have been right to undertake all sanctions against smokers (and all related groups) except for dismissing low level nicotine which new vapers should and must be happy to receive and support -

Low levels like this are good enough for seasoned vapers - therefore it should be happily accepted by all - Vaping by any cost and by any means possible! esp cause they wont let us (that is verified vapers) ask for anything else

Any naysayers shall have their reputations and vape/ snus standing cast in doubt

I could go on but ....Is it just me or is this starting to sound stupid?
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 29-10-17 at 06:31 PM.
    DogMan, Tara, Hoofprint and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Spot on @rebelagainstthemachine.

Well looks like im screwed because of my shift work and also being in bottom fudge Idaho i cant attend any vape meets. Here is an idea, lets start a vape meet in my country town ?
    Seems like the only way i will be able to verify that im a vaper.
    Am i being sarcastic ? You bet. Does it annoy me that i am being restricted (implied or otherwise) from making political comments ? You bet your back side.

Any intended or implied removal of discussions about political or otherwise is an insult.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast