Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: NSW set to ban vaping in smoke free areas

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Well heres the problem for me, i have never, and i wont be pushed into, vaping alongside smokers in their little cubbyholes

Reason: breathing in second hand smoke...fudge, i got away from that <word that gtadmin hates me saying>
    I don't vape in smoke cubbyholes either. I wait...

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    stylemessiah, 1ynne and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Meanwhile a history lesson on the Heart Foundation, and that video, from 2 years ago

And then the post in that thread where i went to see them, and my recall of that conversation is rock solid still: Heart Foundation Lies, exaggerates and conflates e-cigs with tobacco using children
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 02-11-17 at 05:46 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    I don't vape in smoke cubbyholes either. I wait...

Same for me, the only place I vape in public is in the car
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WoopiFumes View Post
    Why is this always framed as an either/or absolute?

The problem with linking vaping to 'smoke-free' areas is that this includes so many private as well as public spaces. Remember that hotels and workplaces are privately owned and aren't really 'public' spaces. What on earth is wrong with giving people who own these spaces the option of providing a dedicated area in which vaping is allowed? The push to include it into existing legislation means that this too will be prohibited.

The debate about SHS and the justification for the bans that were regulated so that it doesn't effect others always seemed to me to fall over on this basic premise. If this was all about health of non-smokers (or, now, non-vapers) why, oh why, isn't it possible for some provision for smokers/vapers to be made? Make it, if necessary, a well ventilated area which will dissipate any by-products and anyone entering this area accepts that people are going to smoke or vape there.

I don't have a problem with measures that would dissuade people from vaping in overt situations that could cause others discomfort such as public transport - albeit because they don't understand the nature of either SHS or vaping - how can we blame them after so many years of heavy propaganda. But why does this have to be framed as an absolute - all or nothing? Why can't TC and the politicians leave us a little avenue to pursue our pleasure - IN A DEDICATED SPACE WHERE IT WON'T AFFECT ANYONE ELSE?

The fact that this is never countenanced by these people is a very good indication that this isn't about health. It's about Power and Control.

The science on SHS was always on very shaky ground; the science on vaping being detrimental to others is non-existent. We probably can't expect that we would be allowed to vape absolutely anywhere. But surely it shouldn't be excluded absolutely everywhere that smoking is. Including it in the existing smoke-free legislation is a lazy way of handling it and it doesn't need to be so heavy-handed. No-one can produce any significant evidence that it is detrimental to other people so surely there is some scope for compromise. We pay taxes too!
    Safe or not, misinformed or not... people have the right to say they want to be cloud free...

Edit... and even though most of us here would be considerate of that, there are many vapers out in the world who blow huge cloudz brah clouds wherever they can get away with it. And those types have absolutely no interest in helping to educate people about the relative safety of vaping. Shit... I've met some who blow huge clouds HOPING to upset people.
    Legislate THEIR right to vape wherever they choose and they'll set vaping back far worse than this legislation.

Last edited by staceman101; 02-11-17 at 05:33 PM.
    DogMan, DocM, stylemessiah and 1 others like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Well heres the problem for me, i have never vaped (and i wont be pushed into vaping) alongside smokers in their little cubbyholes

Reason: breathing in second hand smoke...fudge, i got away from that <word that gtadmin hates me saying>
    I think you've missed my point Style. Fair enough if you don't want to have to vape in a 'cubbyhole' with smokers but my comment didn't concentrate on that. It was more to do with the fact that legislation never makes any provision for any places where it is OK to do either and if there was some semblance of compassion in the legislators - why not?
    "We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us."
    W.H. Thompson

AVF Regular
    I think you've missed my point Style. Fair enough if you don't want to have to vape in a 'cubbyhole' with smokers but my comment didn't concentrate on that. It was more to do with the fact that legislation never makes any provision for any places where it is OK to do either and if there was some semblance of compassion in the legislators - why not?
    Nope, i didnt, you lumped us with smokers:

why, oh why, isn't it possible for some provision for smokers/vapers to be made?
    Make it, if necessary, a well ventilated area which will dissipate any by-products and anyone entering this area accepts that people are going to smoke or vape there.
    We're ideally looking to be unlumped from that lot, because we dont smoke...separate legislation for me thanks. Ill help smokers who want to quit, but i dont want to be standing around them in their designated area, just fudge no
    steve.c and DocM like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Nope, i didnt, you lumped us with smokers:

We're ideally looking to be unlumped from that lot, because we dont smoke...separate legislation for me thanks. Ill help smokers who want to quit, but i dont want to be standing around them in their designated area, just fudge no
    "unlumped from that lot" ???

No-one was suggesting that you should be 'lumped together' - your interpretation is one of the reasons I find it very difficult to support vaping advocacy which concentrates on (potentially) getting ahead at the expense of others.

I assume that you, like me, were once a smoker. I don't find it heretical to continue to support smokers' rights.
    DogMan and staceman101 like this.
    "We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us."
    W.H. Thompson

AVF Regular
    (warning pre coffee rant)

Im sitting on the fence for this one.

See i can trust people like style, dis and other AVFers not to be fkn idiots. So they should be able to do what they want.
    However it was clearly shown to the aus public at the last vape rally, that this new generation of morons need to be put on tight leash.

You want to have a quiet vape in a park, in the car, on the beach or at the worksite sure not a problem.
    You want to use your 300w cloud chucking starter kit in the middle of the movies, a restaurant, in a hospital or inside a school then no ban them.

Just because we choose to do something, It does not give us the right or mandate to have that something affect others even if we think its safer.
    gtadmin, DogMan, DocM and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    "unlumped from that lot" ???

No-one was suggesting that you should be 'lumped together' - your interpretation is one of the reasons I find it very difficult to support vaping advocacy which concentrates on (potentially) getting ahead at the expense of others.

I assume that you, like me, were once a smoker. I don't find it heretical to continue to support smokers' rights.
    No, you used plain english and i read it

Ill refer you to my previous reply, where you definitely 100% did lump us together

You cant have a shot at me for reading your words, the exact way you wrote them....

Im sorry you find it "difficult" to support vaping advicacy because i interpreted your words, as written, and then quoted them back to you, unmolested. That must suck

How exactly am i "getting ahead at the expense of others" (im going to use your exact words again, dont get upset)?

Ive spent time (and money) helping people transition, for 2 years. You want to "support smokers' rights"...heads up this forum is a about vaping, main reason why we vape is not to smoke and die.

Hands up who would rather be smoking if only someone like WoopiFumes had come along sooner and fought for our "smokers rights"

<silence>
    <tumbleweed>
    </tumbleweed>
    </silence>

Youre right we couldnt be more different. You just seem to want to argue and be seen as an activist, and act injured when i use your exact words in reply.

Your "smokers rights" activism is prolly best exercised elsehwere, enjoining it with vaping is exactly 100% wrong, we like the distinction between the two. This is a vaping forum. Welcome to join in advocating for vapers rights and helping smokers transition....its more rewarding than you spoiling for an argument with me, i can promise you that.....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 02-11-17 at 06:36 PM.
    steve.c and emu like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    (warning pre coffee rant)

Im sitting on the fence for this one.

See i can trust people like style, dis and other AVFers not to be fkn idiots. So they should be able to do what they want.
    However it was clearly shown to the aus public at the last vape rally, that this new generation of morons need to be put on tight leash.

You want to have a quiet vape in a park, in the car, on the beach or at the worksite sure not a problem.
    You want to use your 300w cloud chucking starter kit in the middle of the movies, a restaurant, in a hospital or inside a school then no ban them.

Just because we choose to do something, It does not give us the right or mandate to have that something affect others even if we think its safer.
    Im glad you got that out before coffee, after it youre a complete bastidge
    fabricator4, steve.c and emu like this.

Handy shopping links:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast