Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: NSW set to ban vaping in smoke free areas

AVF Regular
    You know what - I am reading the arguments both for and against and wondering how many of you have been in enclosed places where a smoke or a vape for someone would mean the difference between the safety of a worker or ending up physically hurt or something similar

A while ago I can tell you I was working in a closed organisation working with some of the most volatile and unpredictable people in society - I had been blackmailed over the anti smoking policy, was powerless to enforce the anti smoking policy, saw bashings over the anti smoking policies and more

When I think of the role that I had in my space - I cant help think of those that work in hospitals, prisons, police stations, psych units, rehabs and other like spaces - I know for a fact after the job that I had - that workers are often discouraged discreetly from reporting anything negative that occurs bc of policies like the anti smoking spaces one - Workers are also subjected to formal gag orders and very little honesty comes from government and similar places in terms of the anti smoking places - lest it undermines the overall message of prohibition- and thats why we dont see much negativity about it in the press- You job is often on the line if you complain about lack of smoking/ vaping spaces

So stupid even from a medical perspective - Hey mate you have cancer or your partner just died- I know you are in shock but you have to go home if you need a minute to vape and take it in (If in fact you can considering anti vape/smoking laws and rentals) - WTF?

Or the guy who is having a psychotic episode thinking that the devil is following him- why not find a space where he can have a vape to calm down?

Smokers- vapers atm what does it matter? atm - what matters the most is that some space gets allocated and lets not beat around the bush here - vapers were smokers too - some vapers may even go back to being smokers if their vape or snus is not readily available

This space - be it for smokers or vapers or both can make the difference for a worker trying to destress or for a patient or loved one to destress and can be used as a way to diffuse an otherwise difficult situation with a client

Fine dont vape on buses and trains or at your office desk and let private businesses like bars decide their own policies (They are private businesses after all and most people dont have to go there - like bars) - but the rest is just apples and oranges in the bigger picture
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 02-11-17 at 06:41 PM.
    giruvian, gtadmin, Fatman and 8 others like this.
    Support the closed autocratic NNA AU lobby group-
    Give money, sign and fill what we say then STFU- its called unity!

You actually thought that your action & thoughts matter?Its "experts" only buddy
    Pfft don't like it?... go away and start your own
    All Hail the NNA AU vape overlords!
    Delete & block the negative! It never happened- its in the past MKAY?
    (or face members & supporters wrath & tears...)
    Infiltrate, Dominate & assimilate all unbelievers..Welcome to the new NNA AU echo chamber

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    (warning pre coffee rant)

Im sitting on the fence for this one.

See i can trust people like style, dis and other AVFers not to be fkn idiots. So they should be able to do what they want.
    However it was clearly shown to the aus public at the last vape rally, that this new generation of morons need to be put on tight leash.

You want to have a quiet vape in a park, in the car, on the beach or at the worksite sure not a problem.
    You want to use your 300w cloud chucking starter kit in the middle of the movies, a restaurant, in a hospital or inside a school then no ban them.

Just because we choose to do something, It does not give us the right or mandate to have that something affect others even if we think its safer.
    Lol - Yes the cloud crew didn't show much restraint at the Melbourne rally but to be fair the Media were gunning for them and completely ignored all the Tootle Puffers and there were heaps of us. We tried to point them in the direction of people like MargyB an older woman that has been tootle puffing and busy saving her life with vaping for the last seven years but no it wasn't dramatic enough for the press.

I dont mind vaping outdoors with the smokers (often the most fun & interesting people) but I mind greatly that the new laws in Vic mean that one cant even have a meal & a discreet Vape outside.
    It really is the frigging nanny state and I feel for NSW facing this same raw deal.
    Fatman, Hoofprint, DocM and 1 others like this.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    You know what - I am reading the arguments both for and against and wondering how many of you have been in enclosed places where a smoke or a vape for someone would mean the difference between the safety of a worker or ending up physically hurt or something similar

A while ago I can tell you I was working in a closed organisation working with some of the most volatile and unpredictable people in society - I had been blackmailed over the anti smoking policy, was powerless to enforce the anti smoking policy, saw bashings over the anti smoking policies and more

When I think of the role that I had in my space - I cant help think of those that work in hospitals, prisons, police stations, psych units, rehabs and other like spaces - I know for a fact after the job that I had - that workers are often discouraged discreetly from reporting anything negative that occurs bc of policies like the anti smoking spaces one - Workers are also subjected to formal gag orders and very little honesty comes from government and similar places in terms of the anti smoking places - lest it undermines the overall message of prohibition- and thats why we dont see much negativity about it in the press- You job is often on the line if you complain about lack of smoking/ vaping spaces

So stupid even from a medical perspective - Hey mate you have cancer or your partner just died- I know you are in shock but you have to go home if you need a minute to vape and take it in (If in fact you can considering anti vape/smoking laws and rentals) - WTF?

Or the guy who is having a psychotic episode thinking that the devil is following him- why not find a space where he can have a vape to calm down?

Smokers- vapers atm what does it matter? atm - what matters the most is that some space gets allocated and lets not beat around the bush here - vapers were smokers too - some vapers may even go back to being smokers if their vape or snus is not readily available

This space - be it for smokers or vapers or both can make the difference for a worker trying to destress or for a patient or loved one to destress and can be used as a way to diffuse an otherwise difficult situation with a client

Fine dont vape on buses and trains or at your office desk and let private businesses like bars decide their own policies (They are private businesses after all and most people dont have to go there - like bars) - but the rest is just apples and oranges in the bigger picture
    Don't fall over in shock Ratm but I completely agree and there should always be a smoke/Vaping place in Hospitals, Prisons and youth remand centers - for the most part Smokers/Vapers didn't choose to end up there and are often in a state of stress and anxiety - it seems like a case of kicking them when they are down.

AVF Regular
    I live with a smoker. She smokes inside.

zOMG

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post

zOMG

Jesus DogMan, you poor bastard

I couldnt hack it, people walk past my window down the sidewalk with a ciggie going and just the merest whisper of scent wafting in my window sets me off now...
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Jesus DogMan, you poor bastard

I couldnt hack it, people walk past my window down the sidewalk with a ciggie going and just the merest whisper of scent wafting in my window sets me off now...
    soft c*ck .
    giruvian, Fatman, Rose and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post

zOMG

Far better that than outside in the cold of Winter or in the heat of Summer - I still have one or two smoking friends left and they can smoke in my house ( with the doors and windows open!)
    I remember feeling like a leper only too well and cant pass that on to others - recently had a smoker in the Ute too - figured after my years of smoking in it would only add a tiny bit to its tar stained interior.
    To be honest I find plumes of sicky sweet Vapor harder to take - nearly puke inducing
    giruvian, DogMan, Midlife and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    well I did 'fall over in shock" but whatever...

<inserts my fav stfu up gif here>

but yep I have been in situations... and in locked wards where unwell people just need to vape/smoke.... get a nic hit... and without regard for my personal safety...there is no argument they really do need to be able to do this... and in regards to my personal safety.. they really do need to be able to do this...

but for me that is a totally different situation from Joe in the street, the clouds bro, spewing his lung air...in a public place... seriously it is off... totally off.. like Joe.. you have a problem.. deal with it.. in private... without affecting others ! dont care whether YOU think it has no effect.. is safer.. or whatever.. it is just off ! to me, its a bit like spitting in public.. gross !
    Last edited by 1ynne; 02-11-17 at 07:52 PM.
    giruvian, DogMan, DocM and 2 others like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Vapers, next in line to cold turkey ex smokers
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Vapers, next in line to cold turkey ex smokers
    Ha - its always good to look in the mirror - slap me down if I ever become a "Born again " Vaper
    BrianS, DogMan and staceman101 like this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast