Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: NSW set to ban vaping in smoke free areas

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    And no one cares either
    At least Leon brought a bit of decent drama as did neo blue waffle etc
    I miss Neo. He was a classic hot headed little Dutchman.. the good ole days !!!
    BrianS likes this.

AVF Regular
    meanwhile....

I read through this whole thread, up until the sh*tfight, which doesn't really interest me.

In France, in 2018, vaping will be banned in ALL workplaces, shopping malls, bars..ie: it will be aligned with smoking areas.

Vaping has been widely accepted here for at least 8 yrs, B&M stores everywhere, nicotine readily available and little or no restriction on where you could vape. Things here changed drastically, literally overnight and there is NO going back, ever... IMHO, even if everyone stops smoking.

There are pro vaping organisations that sprung up when D-Day (vaping laws) slapped us in the face (Jan 2017), with each organisation fighting each other and then the govt..... to no avail

Now... what chances do you think Australia have?.... sorry but I think the future looks really grim for Aussies.
    giruvian, margyb, Fatman and 2 others like this.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

Super Moderator
    I guess us Queenslanders are used to it, as it's been that way here for so long.

As it stands at the moment, I don't have an issue with it. But I know that will change as areas that permit smoking are going to continually disappear. That's the worst part of having them both classified in the same way
    Fatman and btobw like this.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    I guess us Queenslanders are used to it, as it's been that way here for so long.

As it stands at the moment, I don't have an issue with it. But I know that will change as areas that permit smoking are going to continually disappear. That's the worst part of having them both classified in the same way
    That won't happen here, not just yet anyway.

The amount of smokers here is staggering. I should film a 5 min video while walking down the street, you will be amazed how many people smoking you see, from young teenagers to aged people... try that in Australia and the difference is quite amazing.
    giruvian, margyb, Fatman and 1 others like this.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
    So at this point in time, is vaping on public transport deemed legal to do? How about other smoke free areas such as inside pubs, clubs and movie theaters, or does that come down to what the owner enforces?

I just figured if you weren't aloud to smoke a cigarette in these places then you wouldn't be aloud to vape there either, nicotine or not. To be honest I wouldn't want to be a prick and vape on public transport or in a theater anyways so that makes sense to ban it, but if I'm walking down the main street of my town while vaping (which is a smoke free area) and was fined for doing so I'd be pretty pissed.
    That's pretty much my attitude, I don't think we have a hope in hell of resisting these bans in total. But maybe just maybe we can get some exemptions. It's a significant departure to our previous attempts and quite different to what international advocates call for but the attitude towards vaping here is a lot harsher than in a lot of other countries. So I figure we should ask and Fab suggested a survey and here we are. The survey is not a perfect platform but it does take some of the adversarial climate out of it. Well some. And it gives people a say. We will publish the results and act on those results.
    CCVaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    I actually thought vaping had already been legislated the same as smoking in NSW. Before I left Sydney a couple of years ago I went to a vape meet at a pub in Kings Cross. We sat outside on the balcony and there were signs saying "No Eating in the Smoking Area" which we all thought was hilarious. When we started vaping we were told we had to go to the smoking area, which was just one table under an umbrella. We took over the table and had our vape meet there, but then when people wanted a smoke they were forced to stand under the umbrella, blowing their smoke all over us.

If there's one good thing about having to stand with the smokers it's that it provides an opportunity to answer questions about vape gear and stuff, and it's pretty common for people to be curious. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is talk about vaping though. Then I just go wherever I please and stealth vape. I vape in all sorts of places that I never used to smoke, like right next to the oxygen tank at work, or two feet away from another nurse in the office. Prohibition just means no rules at all as far as I'm concerned.
    margyb and AllyP like this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    I vape in all sorts of places that I never used to smoke, like right next to the oxygen tank at work,
    EEP!!!.....ermmmmm just a wee point of order .... mech mods especially ( as evidenced in your Valkyrie Help thread) are an excellent ignition source ... every pit on those contacts is produced by an arc of electricity ... I would think vaping in a possible high risk explosive area ( think oxygen leak near the tank) is probably not the best move ?

Its basically bringing a stove igniter into work and clicking it in your pocket .... probly WONT set off a bang , but why would you risk it

Its probably a million to one , but then again look at how e-cig battery explosion videos, have shaped public opinion .... Imagine how much ammo you are at risk of giving by igniting a medical facility or old folks home

Edit: even regulated mods in such an environment still have interior contact points and a minimised risk of sparks ... very very unlikely but jingoes I wouldnt do it
    Last edited by Fatman; 14-11-17 at 08:39 PM.
    stylemessiah and rockmoose like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    EEP!!!.....ermmmmm just a wee point of order .... mech mods especially ( as evidenced in your Valkyrie Help thread) are an excellent ignition source ... every pit on those contacts is produced by an arc of electricity ... I would think vaping in a possible high risk explosive area ( think oxygen leak near the tank) is probably not the best move ?

Its basically bringing a stove igniter into work and clicking it in your pocket .... probly WONT set off a bang , but why would you risk it

Its probably a million to one , but then again look at how e-cig battery explosion videos, have shaped public opinion .... Imagine how much ammo you are at risk of giving by igniting a medical facility or old folks home
    lol, I don't stealth vape with mech mods. I chuck clouds at home with those. I use small electronic devices at work, which I figure are no more dangerous next to an O2 tank than a mobile phone. Not that I stand there for hours next to the tank or anything - I just don't worry about vaping when I'm in the same room with one.

Always a good idea to point out the hazards of mech mods though. Makes my hair stand on end thinking about the risks we use to take with those in the old days - especially when subohming became a thing, and battery safety was only a half a thing.
    Last edited by Rose; 14-11-17 at 08:40 PM.
    DogMan and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    More good press, this time regarding the NSW vaping bans

ALP's blanket ban on vapers in smoke-free spaces could do more harm than good
    margyb, Cath Mort, Rose and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    It's certainly gratifying to see the very left wing Fairfax media starting to support the pro-vaping point of view. Three years ago they were still pretty much in the thrall of Prof Chapman. Colin Mendelsohn always argues his case so sensibly he's become impossible to ignore.
    margyb, Cath Mort, DogMan and 1 others like this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast