Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: NSW set to ban vaping in smoke free areas

AVF Regular

NSW set to ban vaping in smoke free areas

Here's the next assault on vaping in NSW, all of which have been overturned so far:

E-cigarette ban in smoke-free areas of NSW attracts Government support - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

If NSW can't beat this ban, then there's little hope for the rest of us who already have to put up with similar laws that make no sense whatsoever.

E-cigarette ban in smoke-free areas of NSW attracts Government support - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I imaging you are going to see a lot reaction to this on social media. NSW vapers need to make a lot of noise with their politicians. You won't be alone.
    DocM, Mistic Lady, emu and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Here's the next assault on vaping in NSW, all of which have been overturned so far:

If NSW can't beat this ban, then there's little hope for the rest of us who already have to put up with similar laws that make no sense whatsoever.

I imaging you are going to see a lot reaction to this on social media. NSW vapers need to make a lot of noise with their politicians. You won't be alone.
    Personally, I don't see the issue. We know vaping is SAFER... but nobody in their right mind says it's SAFE. Why should non smoker/vaper types need to breathe anything other than air in smoke free areas?

It's hardly an "assault" on our freedom. More a polite consideration for people who don't want to breathe clouds of anything.

If we're allowed to vape wherever the hell we choose, that's actually a similar "assault" on those who don't want to partake in our clouds.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    steve.c, DogMan, rodbam and 6 others like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    So at this point in time, is vaping on public transport deemed legal to do? How about other smoke free areas such as inside pubs, clubs and movie theaters, or does that come down to what the owner enforces?

I just figured if you weren't aloud to smoke a cigarette in these places then you wouldn't be aloud to vape there either, nicotine or not. To be honest I wouldn't want to be a prick and vape on public transport or in a theater anyways so that makes sense to ban it, but if I'm walking down the main street of my town while vaping (which is a smoke free area) and was fined for doing so I'd be pretty pissed.
    emu and LustStarrr like this.

AVF Regular
    2 cents - I think that you will find that a few vapers may even support these bans - You can find the arguments for them in threads that talk alot about cloud blowers and how horrible they supposedly are -- also in my travels around news, I dont seem to see many trying to debunk the gateway theory - even though many studies have completely debunked and trashed it - and then there is the false belief in second and third hand vapor which has also been debunked-- These kinds of things make it easy for bans like this to pass - I hope I am wrong

But long run it makes sense for CC etc to push these bans - cause it is a way out of not legalizing vaping completely and having a way out for the government- sadly tho these bans are a slippery slope and will make way for more anti vape legislation later like huge taxes, higher insurance premiums etc- its a clever strategy actually

You know cause when I walk past someone vaping who is not myself - I get a sudden urge to suck on some vanilla air freshener ... nasty nasty habit....but someone has to have it .....
    giruvian, 1ynne and emu like this.
    Support the closed autocratic NNA AU lobby group-
    Give money, sign and fill what we say then STFU- its called unity!

You actually thought that your action & thoughts matter?Its "experts" only buddy
    Pfft don't like it?... go away and start your own
    All Hail the NNA AU vape overlords!
    Delete & block the negative! It never happened- its in the past MKAY?
    (or face members & supporters wrath & tears...)
    Infiltrate, Dominate & assimilate all unbelievers..Welcome to the new NNA AU echo chamber

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
    So at this point in time, is vaping on public transport deemed legal to do? How about other smoke free areas such as inside pubs, clubs and movie theaters, or does that come down to what the owner enforces?
    Yes, but whether it's polite or not is another matter. I can stealth vape anywhere in public and you wouldn't even know, but you won't be able to do that with your TVF8 beast.

So, if it's more about etiquette since there is no possible harm to bystanders (except maybe to their ideology) should etiquette be written into law to appease the politically correct and the antis, or should it be up the society to form cultural maturity on a new technology? Personally I'm over the social vilification and denigration of smokers (who can no longer smoke in public recreational areas like like national parks and beaches), I'm stuffed if I will let them do the same thing to vapers just because we picked the wrong way to give up smoking just because it's the only way that worked for us.

All that vaping in public does is normalise a harm reduction alternative to smoking. That would be huge public health benefit. In light of a new disruptive technology, doing anything to control or legislate it legally has serious unintended consequences that will cost lives. Basically, it removes incentives to switch and sends the wrong message.

I just figured if you weren't aloud to smoke a cigarette in these places then you wouldn't be aloud to vape there either, nicotine or not. To be honest I wouldn't want to be a prick and vape on public transport or in a theater anyways so that makes sense to ban it, but if I'm walking down the main street of my town while vaping (which is a smoke free area) and was fined for doing so I'd be pretty pissed.
    That's exactly what would be enabled by anti vaping legislation. To maintain the five or even ten meter distance from doorways, you would have to walk down the middle of the road, on the white lines.

I'll leave this here for anyone who missed the thread next to this one. It's the long version again.

DocM, rab, AllyP and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post

Currently -

On public transport/inside premises/enclosed spaces: Just fudge no, assume if something has been illegal for 20 years for smokers, youre not going to change this

On train platorms: Yes (above ground stations of course (i always walk to the end), and not being a **** about it: Cloud Bros)

At outside tables at Cafes: Yes (left up the premises, always ask first...i do, and not being a **** about it: Cloud Bros)

On the rare occasion soemone looks at me vaping at the cafe, then notices theres no smell, they quickly unfurrow and ask me what it is. Unflavoured earns you friends out and about, dickheads blowing vast clouds of flavoured or even worse tobacco flavoured clouds earns you contempt, from the great unwashed usually from vapers too.

Leave the clouds at home or for your youtube e-peen videos

Of course vaping maple syrup once made a lady accountant invade my personal space and sniff me , but thats another story...

Especially interesting is this nonsense thats almost certainly regurgitated from 2 years ago when they had their youtube public transport scare campaign going:

"We don't actually know what's in the e-cigarette vapour, you could be sitting on a bus and the person sitting next to you using an e-cigarette could actually have nicotine in it and you're breathing in that vapour," said Wendy Oakes from the Heart Foundation.
    How do i know this?

Because that youtube video was the impetus for me, as some may remember, for me walking into the Heart Foundation unannounced and having a sit down talk with their head of media, during which time they conceded that theres really not much chance of people suddenly vaping on public transport as it had been banned for like 20 years. I remember sharing stories of my own experience of the last time i smoked on a train, an XPT in 1989...and they shared their story of being stuck on a bus in Canberra eons ago and having coughing fits. They then admitted that they'd only had one report of someone using a vaporiser on public transport at that time. I left the meeting and was promised some further comms about looking at research and possibly adjusting their stance in the media..i.e. removing the nonsense scare mongering about a vaper on every bus/train....

Still waiting on the response, after 2 years and several re-promptings

Oh, and the person i spoke to that day? Wendy Oakes.....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 02-11-17 at 04:58 PM.
    DocM, AllyP and Sully like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    What about accomodation. Many rental properties, townhouse complexes hotel/motel rooms they are all non smoking as well.

some others to add to the list. Outdoor council areas, parks and gardens, beaches and the list goes on.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Why is this always framed as an either/or absolute?

The problem with linking vaping to 'smoke-free' areas is that this includes so many private as well as public spaces. Remember that hotels and workplaces are privately owned and aren't really 'public' spaces. What on earth is wrong with giving people who own these spaces the option of providing a dedicated area in which vaping is allowed? The push to include it into existing legislation means that this too will be prohibited.

The debate about SHS and the justification for the bans that were regulated so that it doesn't effect others always seemed to me to fall over on this basic premise. If this was all about health of non-smokers (or, now, non-vapers) why, oh why, isn't it possible for some provision for smokers/vapers to be made? Make it, if necessary, a well ventilated area which will dissipate any by-products and anyone entering this area accepts that people are going to smoke or vape there.

I don't have a problem with measures that would dissuade people from vaping in overt situations that could cause others discomfort such as public transport - albeit because they don't understand the nature of either SHS or vaping - how can we blame them after so many years of heavy propaganda. But why does this have to be framed as an absolute - all or nothing? Why can't TC and the politicians leave us a little avenue to pursue our pleasure - IN A DEDICATED SPACE WHERE IT WON'T AFFECT ANYONE ELSE?

The fact that this is never countenanced by these people is a very good indication that this isn't about health. It's about Power and Control.

The science on SHS was always on very shaky ground; the science on vaping being detrimental to others is non-existent. We probably can't expect that we would be allowed to vape absolutely anywhere. But surely it shouldn't be excluded absolutely everywhere that smoking is. Including it in the existing smoke-free legislation is a lazy way of handling it and it doesn't need to be so heavy-handed. No-one can produce any significant evidence that it is detrimental to other people so surely there is some scope for compromise. We pay taxes too!
    "We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us."
    W.H. Thompson

AVF Regular
    As you know, i somtimes like to tweet.....

AllyP and Sully like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WoopiFumes View Post
    Why is this always framed as an either/or absolute?

The problem with linking vaping to 'smoke-free' areas is that this includes so many private as well as public spaces. Remember that hotels and workplaces are privately owned and aren't really 'public' spaces. What on earth is wrong with giving people who own these spaces the option of providing a dedicated area in which vaping is allowed? The push to include it into existing legislation means that this too will be prohibited.

The debate about SHS and the justification for the bans that were regulated so that it doesn't effect others always seemed to me to fall over on this basic premise. If this was all about health of non-smokers (or, now, non-vapers) why, oh why, isn't it possible for some provision for smokers/vapers to be made? Make it, if necessary, a well ventilated area which will dissipate any by-products and anyone entering this area accepts that people are going to smoke or vape there.

I don't have a problem with measures that would dissuade people from vaping in overt situations that could cause others discomfort such as public transport - albeit because they don't understand the nature of either SHS or vaping - how can we blame them after so many years of heavy propaganda. But why does this have to be framed as an absolute - all or nothing? Why can't TC and the politicians leave us a little avenue to pursue our pleasure - IN A DEDICATED SPACE WHERE IT WON'T AFFECT ANYONE ELSE?

The fact that this is never countenanced by these people is a very good indication that this isn't about health. It's about Power and Control.

The science on SHS was always on very shaky ground; the science on vaping being detrimental to others is non-existent. We probably can't expect that we would be allowed to vape absolutely anywhere. But surely it shouldn't be excluded absolutely everywhere that smoking is. Including it in the existing smoke-free legislation is a lazy way of handling it and it doesn't need to be so heavy-handed. No-one can produce any significant evidence that it is detrimental to other people so surely there is some scope for compromise. We pay taxes too!
    Well heres the problem for me, i have never vaped (and i wont be pushed into vaping) alongside smokers in their little cubbyholes

Reason: breathing in second hand smoke...fudge, i got away from that <word that gtadmin hates me saying>
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 02-11-17 at 05:11 PM.
    DocM, emu and staceman101 like this.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast