Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Cancer Council recommends nic for pregnant woman

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,450

    Cancer Council recommends nic for pregnant woman

    The Cancer council must have read some latest research into nicotine & now recommends Doctors prescribe Nic replacement therapy to pregnant woman. They said it's far safer than smoking cigarettes, sounds familiar a.
    emu likes this.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    The Cancer council must have read some latest research into nicotine & now recommends Doctors prescribe Nic replacement therapy to pregnant woman. They said it's far safer than smoking cigarettes, sounds familiar a.
    They've been saying that for a while, like in this NRT/stop smoking pamphlet from 2010:
    https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/wp-...-FAQs-1-Se.pdf

    That's the exact definition of harm reduction - recommending a lower harm alternative to one that is known to cause great harm.

    What they haven't managed to do in the seven YEARS since that pamphlet was written, is apply the same principle to vaping and smokers. We have so much work to do: they still think applying the precautionary principle to vaping is justified, when the truth is that this faulty reasoning has contributed to the death of 130,000 Australians since then.

    Edit to add: One of the problems is that their next argument is that there's no evidence for the efficacy of vaping as a cessation tool. It doesn't help that vendors are forbidden to make this claim. We are hindered by the lack of clear evidence of the effectiveness of vaping, and it doesn't matter that WE know, and that WE switched to vaping successfully. I think this is set to change dramatically in the next twelve months once the the figures in the UK start to come in. The publicity given to vaping the UK stoptover campaign is going to have a clear and measurable effect. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

    Of course the next thing they'll say (again) is that there is still no proof of the safety of vaping, however at least if advocates can argue for the effectiveness of vaping, it becomes much easier to justify it as being lower risk. Eventually it will become self evident even to the Australian Cancer Council.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 04-12-17 at 12:51 PM.
    margyb, Cath Mort, Rose and 4 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,450
    That's strange because the NRT for pregnant woman announcement was featured on todays Radio National news.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    That's strange because the NRT for pregnant woman announcement was featured on todays Radio National news.
    Diversionary tactics.

    Too much noise about vaping? Inject something that is about THR but NOT about vaping into the media stream?

    There's a report about the much lower risk of cancer from vaping? Highlight one of the Glantz "we don't know enough" reports or his "They are just big tobacco" slurs.

    On the one hand the Australian Cancer Counsel's stand can seem reasonable (Risk not justified due to lack of proof of efficacy) but on the other hand it's pretty hard not to see it cynically as an attempt to bury their collective heads in the sand in the face of something that challenges their ideology.


    Of course, they may just be looking at an increase in the rate of smoking amongs pregnant women and trying to highlight their recommended alternative. If it's being presented as something new though, then my bet is that my cynicism is justified.

    Edit: Oh, just realised that the pamphlet is from Cancer Council NSW, not ACA. Which begs the question, what has ACA being doing for the last seven years with respect to smoking and pregnancy.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 04-12-17 at 01:26 PM.
    DocM, stylemessiah and FXVaper like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    French country side
    Posts
    1,548
    The same thing everywhere, even though vaping here in France is very much accepted. November was "The month without tobacco" and ALL the television and radio did nothing but push NIC replacement therapy, not one word was mentioned about vaping.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.




  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Bunbury
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Diversionary tactics.

    Too much noise about vaping? Inject something that is about THR but NOT about vaping into the media stream?

    There's a report about the much lower risk of cancer from vaping? Highlight one of the Glantz "we don't know enough" reports or his "They are just big tobacco" slurs.

    On the one hand the Australian Cancer Counsel's stand can seem reasonable (Risk not justified due to lack of proof of efficacy) but on the other hand it's pretty hard not to see it cynically as an attempt to bury their collective heads in the sand in the face of something that challenges their ideology.


    Of course, they may just be looking at an increase in the rate of smoking amongs pregnant women and trying to highlight their recommended alternative. If it's being presented as something new though, then my bet is that my cynicism is justified.

    Edit: Oh, just realised that the pamphlet is from Cancer Council NSW, not ACA. Which begs the question, what has ACA being doing for the last seven years with respect to smoking and pregnancy.
    how do we justify the cry for NRT for pregnant people, and in the same breath cry dont vape while pregnant its the nicotine and flavours that will cause defects in embryos.

    Hypocritical.

    We just do not know enough!

    Is a cop out, because they refuse to take any notice of the large body of evidence that DOES exist.

    Cancer Council
    Heart foundation
    Quit line
    Lung foundation

    All once trusted organisations, that now spout utter bullshit to protect huge incomes from pharmaceutical companies flogging failed NRT.

    I would be dead had I listened to any of these dufunct organisations.
    Last edited by Wombats1; 04-12-17 at 03:20 PM.
    fabricator4, DocM, act180 and 1 others like this.
    Smoke free since april 2016

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombats1 View Post
    how do we justify the cry for NRT for pregnant people, and in the same breath cry dont vape while pregnant its the nicotine and flavours that will cause defects in embryos.

    Hypocritical.

    We just do not know enough!

    Is a cop out, because they refuse to take any notice of the large body of evidence that DOES exist.

    Cancer Council
    Heart foundation
    Quit line
    Lung foundation

    All once trusted organisations, that now spout utter bullshit to protect huge incomes from pharmaceutical companies flogging failed NRT.

    I would be dead had I listened to any of these dufunct organisations.
    It's a shame but I've always believed the bigger not for profit organisations are about as corrupt as they come. It's a generalisation I know but I've seen plenty of it myself.

    Like, for profit companies buying heart ticks or buying Dieticians of Australia recommendations for brand name packaged food. It's extraordinary that is allowed. None of their advice is independent!
    Wombats1 likes this.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Griffith, NSW
    Posts
    3,424
    I dont trust any organisation that gives the top jobs a travel budget bigger then what i earn in a year.

    I prefer smaller ones You know what the CEO of my local rescue group did when i dropped off $200.
    Gave me a hug, then we (as in both of us) went and spent that cash on $200 worth of kibble and pig ears for the dogs.

    Warm and fuzzies are a lot better when you can actually see the difference you make.
    Last edited by Hoofprint; 04-12-17 at 11:49 PM.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    I prefer smaller ones.
    .









    .
    fabricator4, Hoofprint and Sublime like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    5,676
    I prefer smaller ones.


    Hmm well this was an unusual top comment to come back to - especially after watching a couple of documentaries on the porn industry
    (Hot girls wanted and Escorts- eh they were ok - not much new there ...)

    as to the rest Although I agree with alot of what has been said here about this - Occams razor also comes to mind- bc I also think simply that the Cancer Council and other groups have been seen as 'experts' for so long by govt and the public and by themselves , Noone has ever really dared to question them on their policies - They have been considered right and above mere mortals for so long that now they dont even review their own stance?

    If this is the case - maybe they haven't even noticed their own discrepancies say in harm reduction in pregnancy or their thoughts on complimentary medicines vs their stance on vaping and needing stringent evidence based research? It is possible -

    but then it might take people to bring these issues up to them to even start to address these things ?

    I dunno - I could be p*ssing in the wind too ...






    .[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 05-12-17 at 12:15 AM.
    FXVaper likes this.
    "I thought I was just in a bad mood- but its been a few years ...so I guess that's who I am now"

    Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs











 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 08:49 AM.