Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Legalise Vaping campaign This Saturday 16th December-Bennelong (Sydney) By Election

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Legalise Vaping campaign This Saturday 16th December-Bennelong (Sydney) By Election

We desperately need as many volunteers as possible to hand out leaflets at polling booths in the Sydney seat of Bennelong this Saturday 16th! It's in the Northern Suburbs, around the suburb of Ryde.

We are going to do our biggest political action ever! This Saturday, 16th December, with your help, we are going to go on an all-out campaign to make headlines and put the issue of vaping into the political consciousness at the Bennelong by Election!

We have indications that the Liberal Party is moving towards a more anti vaping stance, as we have seen with MP Greg Hunt's public statement that nicotine vaping is never going to be legalised "on my watch". We urgently need to reverse this.

They haven't listened to the science. They haven't listened to the moral argument. They haven't listened to the vapers...but they will be made to listen!

MP's might not care about the evidence, some might not care about dying smokers; but they DO care about their votes!

We are going all out on this one. Every resource we can bring together for this.

This is huge. This is historic. This threatens the Turnbull Government itself! They only have a one seat majority. They are desperate to hold on to every vote they can. Even a 1% change could make the difference. The vapers vote could be the difference.

All the eyes of the politicians will be on the seat of Bennelong this Saturday 16th of December. The seat holds particular emotional trauma for the Liberals after Maxine McKew tossed the Prime Minister John Howard out of this very seat in 2007.

We have produced a scorecard for every candidate's position on legalising nicotine vaping as a consumer product.
    We have printed 10,000 of these.

The media will be there in droves. They are always looking for something different, and we will probably be very interesting for them and we will gain a lot of attention. But rest assured if you are camera shy there will be many of us happy and willing to speak to the media and they can be directed the right way.

It is politically neutral, not saying who to vote for, just publicising each party's policy on this issue.

We have produced similar signs to put up near every booth. We hope we can be at EVERY booth. If we get 70 volunteers for the 35 booths everyone will only have to work for half a day getting the message out.

The more people we have on the ground, the more impact this will make, and the politicians will realise how important this issue is for so many voters.

We are determined to burn the issue of vaping deep into the consciousness of the major political parties. They are not "the bear", WE are the bear, and we have been poked one too many times, and we will rise up to put right this deep wrong, where we are made into criminals simply because we quit smoking the only way we can.

We will do everything we can to support volunteers. If you are considering volunteering, contact Annette Huppatz directly: ahuppatz@live.com

Link to view the flyers:

AVF Regular
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 14-12-17 at 12:09 PM.
    Hoofprint, DocM and 1ynne like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    It's Thursday and you just telling us now ? Really..???

AVF Regular
    I agree Emu. If this is the level of activism and being proactive, we vapers are doomed to be using o/s vendors for some time to come whilst remaining in the murky shadows of the legislation. Not forgetting the stigma attached and the health aspects.
    And we could have had a day out!
    Did someone mention a BEAR?!
    Last edited by DocM; 15-12-17 at 09:13 AM.
    Hoofprint, 1ynne and emu like this.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    It's Thursday and you just telling us now ? Really..???
    Two days notice really... sigh

<pre coffee rant deleted by Hoofy's last shred of decency.>
    <Please contact a system admin if you believe this is in error 52 61 6e 74 0d 0a>
    emu likes this.

Super Moderator
    Try to be glass half full

Yes two days is not a lot of time, but it may be enough for some go get involved. Kudos to those willing to take some time to be proactive.
    Fatman, DocM and ermoon2 like this.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    They posted on Facebook on 11 December. If this forum is still being hammered with popups unless you use tapa or some other workarounds then it's hardly a great place to advertise something like this, so to be honest I kind of understand AVF being an afterthought in this case.
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by act180 View Post
    I kind of understand AVF being an afterthought
    AVF has always been an afterthought for these guys even before the popups and spam. They only come around begging and pleading when they want something.

Not saying that's bad, but they could at least feign an interest before trying to manipulate us.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    Try to be glass half full

Yes two days is not a lot of time, but it may be enough for some go get involved. Kudos to those willing to take some time to be proactive.
    Where were they when the election was announced though Ingrid? No secret, I am a joined up NNA member & heard 0. And willing to be proactive too.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation

AVF Regular
    Attila, I think the idea does have some merit, but as others have said, the timing is pretty scarce. Bouncing in out of nowhere to deliver a big incendiary speech and expecting cooperation at a minute's notice is never going to sit well on any forum. Facebook is different. Facebook is just one gigantic notice board really, very impersonal, but forums are genuine communities and need to be approached as such. That means gaining traction first by spending time with them when things are quiet, contributing in ordinary ways, building up some rapport and letting people get to know you. I know that's probably not doable for you due to time constraints, but unfortunately it's a fact that's never likely to change.

I would suggest a longer term strategy aimed at the next Federal election which will be August next year at the earliest. And I think that rather than trying to get scores of people to hand out leaflets at polling booths (actually that would require thousands of people), it might be better to co-ordinate a series of letter box drops and mailouts in the days and weeks leading up to the election. This gives voters a bit more time to consider the issue, and if there were some major media coverage at the same time (Colin Mendelsohn, Joe Hildebrand - those guys are really good at that) then you never know, it just might change some votes. There will be more vapers in Australia by then too and there will be time to raise funds for printing and postage costs.

That would give the online community (those who are interested) more of a chance to get involved with the whole project, from the planning stages to its implementation, and would also allow people to help out at times that suit them.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things go today. Those who have volunteered will be able to gauge the response of voters to the issue first hand, and it will be good to hear of their experiences. I'd like to think of this as a test run for something that will be much more meticulously planned. I hope so anyway.

Good luck, to those who are going.
    Last edited by Rose; 16-12-17 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast