Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New NSW Laws banning Vaping

AVF Regular
    Australian pollies really need to wake up! I have been in NZ for nearly a week and I have never seen so many vapers, more vapers then smokers I reckon. I remember getting excited when I seen another vaper but here its just the normal thing to do and you don't feel like a weirdo...lol.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    So big question: If a person is prescribed vaping nicotine for a medical condition other than quitting smoking, are these governments in serious breach of human rights commission for discrimination against a person with a disability by segregation?

Does anyone know of any cases doctors psychiatrists prescribing nicotine since research has found it useful for some conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by VaperJ View Post
    So big question: If a person is prescribed vaping nicotine for a medical condition other than quitting smoking, are these governments in serious breach of human rights commission for discrimination against a person with a disability by segregation?

Does anyone know of any cases doctors psychiatrists prescribing nicotine since research has found it useful for some conditions?
    Although I guess the smoking laws will get challenged for legally prescribed medical marijuana for that same reason at some point as well

AVF Regular
    In answer to your question, - there have been trials done with patients who have parkinsons, alzhiemers, shizophenia, depression and colitis

None of these to my knowledge have yet come to market - but they are in the works because the results were so promising

Yes there is talk about not so much human rights- but anti discrimination with a view to discuss human rights for smokers - because smoking itself is an addiction and smokers are very maligned in the community to the point in which it may prevent them from getting housing or work or medical care

So yep some are working slowly on the idea that smoking is now a disability and should be covered by the disability Acts and anti discrimination acts - although the idea has not yet taken flight - the idea is growing especially as more non smokers start to see the result of the prohibition

The smoking laws wont yet get properly challenged (Maybe later) - that would require more public outcry at the further disadvantage being caused to smokers (who are mostly low income and are being faced with basics cards for thier own good blah ) by public health and govt - especially in the light of them blocking snus and vaping as viable harm reduction

Careful vaper- Im not one of them - but some vapers get all pissy when you mention cannabis and vaping in the same breath
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    In answer to your question, - there have been trials done with patients who have parkinsons, alzhiemers, shizophenia, depression and colitis

None of these to my knowledge have yet come to market - but they are in the works because the results were so promising

Yes there is talk about not so much human rights- but anti discrimination with a view to discuss human rights for smokers - because smoking itself is an addiction and smokers are very maligned in the community to the point in which it may prevent them from getting housing or work or medical care

So yep some are working slowly on the idea that smoking is now a disability and should be covered by the disability Acts and anti discrimination acts - although the idea has not yet taken flight - the idea is growing especially as more non smokers start to see the result of the prohibition

The smoking laws wont yet get properly challenged (Maybe later) - that would require more public outcry at the further disadvantage being caused to smokers (who are mostly low income and are being faced with basics cards for thier own good blah ) by public health and govt - especially in the light of them blocking snus and vaping as viable harm reduction

Careful vaper- Im not one of them - but some vapers get all pissy when you mention cannabis and vaping in the same breath
    Thanks for the info

Also noticed in several articles that the smoking rate in Australia hasn't gone down since 2012 - which effectively means tobacco control has gone backwards. If governments were to have done nothing since then and left the smoking legislation as it was in 2012 the smoking rate should have gone down by itself - because smokers are dying and there are far less smokers to replace them since the (reasonable) anti-smoking policy in 2012 (when smoking was just not allowed indoors or where it effected other people) was far more effective than several decades ago when the older smokers were young. Seems like something isn't working with today's smoking laws.

AVF Regular
    Well technically smoking rates have gone down slightly since 2012 about about 1-2%

I dont think that surveys really account for things like people lying about how much or if they smoke (because of smoking deviance and discrimination) or the massive black market which was denied as even happening by some more prominent anti smoking lobbyists till more recently

The other thing that the smoking surveys have not accounted for was vaping and or snus use

That being said i agree with all you have said Aand also believe prohibition does not work (hell look at the alcohol prohibitions over time- even our current so called dry areas in Australia have issues with smuggling and bootlegging) -

In terms of smoking sweden has the the lowest prevalence of smokers and smoking related deaths because of snus - countries like nz and uk are now seeing drops in smoking rates because of both snus and vaping

Portugal decriminalized all drugs opting for a medical and educational model and now have the lowest prevalence of drug use in the world and so these stories go on

Sadly they knew ahead of time that this prohibition and the methods wouldnt work - with respect to godwins law - its all been done before - but anti smoking zealotry has made alot of people alot of money - in fact its a multi billion dollar industry

All very complicated and dirty

I just keep in mind that little part from finding nemo

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....."
    Sublime and rockmoose like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Thanks for all the advice. [I wasn't able to get on this site for a while and it's still very 'buggy'.]

My local member eventually called me after a bit of back and forth with one of her staffers (who said I was misinformed and sent me NSW Health 'factsheets' that were clearly outdated by the new legislation). When I spoke with her I said that the new legislation now put vaping equal to smoking (and that vaping was the only thing that enabled me to cease a 30+ year smoking habit) she denied it so I read to her the new definition of "smoke" which includes "vapour". The subject was then changed. I also mentioned that the Federal Government had, at least, started an inquiry into vaping before considering any legislative action and that enquiry had received many reports from medical professionals and other reputable people and organisations that, essentially, supported vaping freedoms. Later, she said she had six reports on her desk that said vaping and passive vaping are health risks to which I responded that I was aware of many more from reputable organisations that strongly supported vaping over smoking and that I bet not one of her reports equated the risk of vaping as being equivalent to smoking as her legislation had now done. [Also, in my earlier correspondence I had used the example of a café next to a road which would mean greater health risks to any patrons from vehicle emissions than from any possible health dangers from a nearby vaper.] She didn't answer that response and went on to advise me that all parties had supported and voted for the bill. I said I accepted that but it was her government that introduced the bill and Brad Hazzard (NSW Health Minister) was sending out press releases claiming credit for introducing the bill so her government had to accept any brickbats along with any bouquets that may come their way. The call ended soon thereafter.

The local member struck me as a nice person but one who, like most, had simply voted the way their party said they should. I doubt that many, except for a few isolated people identified by others above, bothered to read about vaping to form their own informed position on the matter.

Good luck everyone. Looks like we are now to be placed on the same 'leper status' in NSW as smokers.
    1ynne and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Quaama - thanks for the update - it is always worth making the effort - I think of it a bit like planting seeds!

As regard this site.. yes it has bugs but these can be controlled if you install an pop up blocker as an extension to your browser - I use U Block - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock_Origin - this forum is currently not staffed - and the Admin is MIA - it falls over from time to time - but tends to come back to life after an automated reboot on Sunday afternoons !

and, importantly, stock up on the necessary vaping supplies - things could get ugly before or even if they get better !
    emu likes this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    ... importantly, stock up on the necessary vaping supplies - things could get ugly before or even if they get better !
    I almost always keep a good stock in hand as I'm fortunate to have wine cabinet (however, wine stocks are running a little low) where I can store the e-juice in an air-tight container for very long periods as advice from my regular supplier in the USA is that his product will easily retain integrity for 12 months in such conditions.
    I was worried that the 2018 Budget would have an internet tax (there were several indications earlier this year there would be a tax for all items not just those over $1,000) so I was ready to stock-up heavily. Fortunately, it didn't happen (it looked like it'd be an administrative nightmare) so I'll stick to my usual ordering system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12