Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New NSW Laws banning Vaping

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

New NSW Laws banning Vaping

I have just heard of the new laws passed by the NSW Parliament which essentially equate vaping with smoking by applying the same anti-smoking laws to vaping. Like many, I have failed with many stop-smoking therapies and only succeeded when I discovered vaping. I have just written to my local member to express my disappointment with the new laws and to advise that I will now not vote for the coalition [I'm in a safe coalition seat so it will only make a difference in the upper house].

Can anyone provide a list of who voted for/against/abstained in the vote on the new laws?

AVF Regular
    Margyb is usually on the ball for alot of detail - she might drop by- if not send her a pm
    margyb likes this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    Thanks but I checked the NSW Parliament site first up and there are no details on who voted and which way. I'm assuming it passed on party lines (and in the upper house with the enthusiastic support of the Greens) though I'd be interested to know if anyone crossed the floor and if the ALP supported it or not.

AVF Regular
    From an email I recieved

Two weeks ago, the House Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care, and Sport released a "Report on the Inquiry into the Use and Marketing of Electronic Cigarettes and Personal Vaporisers in Australia".
    Sadly, five of the eight members of the committee chose to ignore the overwhelming evidence that vaping is significantly safer than cigarettes, and have advocated to continue to criminalise ordinary Australians who are attempting to quit smoking tobacco.
    However, it is not all bad news. We applaud committee chairman Trent Zimmerman MP, and members Tim Wilson MP and Andrew Laming MP for their dissenting reports supporting common-sense legislation that would help Australians lead healthier lives. We especially thought MP Laming’s report got to the heart of the matter.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs308hjute View Post
    From an email I recieved

Two weeks ago, the House Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care, and Sport released a "Report on the Inquiry into the Use and Marketing of Electronic Cigarettes and Personal Vaporisers in Australia".
    Sadly, five of the eight members of the committee chose to ignore the overwhelming evidence that vaping is significantly safer than cigarettes, and have advocated to continue to criminalise ordinary Australians who are attempting to quit smoking tobacco.
    However, it is not all bad news. We applaud committee chairman Trent Zimmerman MP, and members Tim Wilson MP and Andrew Laming MP for their dissenting reports supporting common-sense legislation that would help Australians lead healthier lives. We especially thought MP Laming’s report got to the heart of the matter.
    Does Kev even let you out of the kitchen anyway?
    mrs308hjute likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Does Kev even let you out of the kitchen anyway?
    Have you forgotten that he is the boss but I tell him what to do?

AVF Regular
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    Hi Jo
    Hi Kev
    308hjute and mrs308hjute like this.
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    Link
    Scroll down near bottom to see the only sensible politician Peter Phelps

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/ha...ardResult.aspx

The Hon. Dr PETER PHELPS ( 16:59 ): I oppose this bill for the same reasons that I opposed the bill brought into this place by the Hon. Walt Secord a short while ago. My opposition is consistent because it is grounded on two elements: firstly, political principles; and secondly, the science. I will not go through the refutation of the anti-science, which has been raised in relation to vaping—I did that in my second reading contribution to the Hon. Walt Secord's bill. Considering that Helen Lovejoy has been rolled out by the Government, the Opposition and the Greens who are screeching, "Think about the kiddies"—the Helen Lovejoy defence—I will briefly note the following from Public Health England, an official body of the United Kingdom [UK] Government. Quoting Professor Linda Bauld:

Concern has been expressed that e-cigarette use will lead young people into smoking. But, in the UK, research clearly shows that regular use of e-cigarettes among young people who have never smoked remains negligible, less than one per cent, and youth smoking continues to decline at an encouraging rate. We need to keep closely monitoring these trends, but so far the data suggest that e-cigarettes are not acting as a route into regular smoking amongst young people.

That is Public Health England saying that. The three million e-cigarette users in the UK provide enough of a cohort for Public Health England to make that clear and unambiguous statement. The Helen Lovejoy defence of "Think about the kiddies" is absolutely refuted by the evidence shown in the UK, which has a much larger cohort and therefore is much more accurate about what is going on.

Let me make this clear—vaping is not smoking and smoking is not vaping. When you give up smoking to take up vaping, you are axiomatically giving up smoking. There is no doubt that smoking is very dangerous. In fact, it is possibly the most dangerous activity you can legally undertake in Australia. To suggest that we should oppose vaping because we do not know what might happen to vapers forty or fifty years hence is to deny the fact that we know exactly what will happen to you if you continue smoking. For those people in this place who speak about harm minimisation and who are in favour of drug-injecting rooms in particular, we should question what they intend to do about nicotine ingestion and how to do it in the safest way possible.

Unfortunately, public health in Australia is dominated by absolute prohibitionists or those with a vested interest in treatment via pharmaceutical delivery. There is no option given for self-regulation. To suggest that it would be okay to have nicotine products available on prescription and given over at the local pharmacist is a furphy. How many of us would say that we recognise alcohol is a problem in Australia but from now on we are going to ban all self-regulation of alcohol and it will only be available via a script given out by a general practitioner and delivered from a pharmacist? Everyone would recognise the ridiculousness and utter illogicality of that argument, and yet that is what some people suggest as a viable method.

I will not say that all public health officials in Australia are bad. People like Dr Alex Wodak, Dr Attila Danko and Professor Colin Mendelsohn represent a serious and considered public health fraternity in Australia. I am sure there are many others; I just picked the three who have been the most vociferous on this issue. As I said, I will not go through the refutations of the anti-science which is wheeled out against vaping. The bill is bad for two reasons. Firstly, it forces vapers into the same area as smokers are now forced to congregate. For example, if you made a conscious decision to give up smoking in favour of vaping this bill now forces you to go exactly to the same location where people are smoking. Here you are trying to give up smoking and what do you get? You get a ring of

Click link above to see all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast