• 2 Post By rebelagainstthemachine
  • 2 Post By DocM

Thread: UPDATE about the ATHRA medical group

AVF Regular

UPDATE about the ATHRA medical group

Its relevant to recent discussions here on AVF

Posted by Dr Danko from another Aussie forum

What I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

I was hoping that my new project would get some traction before I went public. The company Iím with havenít sold anything yet. We know the ferocity of our enemies. They will aim to stomp on something like this as quickly as they can, while we are small and vulnerable. They hate the disruption our company will cause. But unfortunately someone thought it would be good to try and make everything public in order to discredit me, and so Iím forced to make this statement earlier than I intended.

Iíve been working day and night without pay to make nicotine vaping legal and accessible as a consumer product in Australia for 4 years now. Itís my mission. Iíve paid dearly for this. It broke up my marriage. Iíve ploughed thousands of dollars of my own money into this. I left my job, long before I even knew of Nicovape, without a safety net, so I could focus on this even harder. And I regret none of it.

Itís an outrageous injustice that I cannot stand and I will do anything to fix. Itís personal, because itís wrong that Iím a criminal for giving up smoking the only way I can, but itís much bigger than that, because hundreds of millions of lives around the world will be lost unless alternatives to smoking are allowed to flourish.

Australia stands in the way. Australia is the world headquarters of the extremist anti nicotine ideology in the Tobacco Control Establishment. The world still thinks that Australia leads the world in anti smoking measures. Many Australians of this ideology hold leadership positions in global bodies of tobacco control such as the World Health Organisation. They push smaller nations to ban vaping.

If we win in Australia, we win in the world. If their ideology cannot hold in Australia, where can it?

We have made much progress, and the team of people working hard to make alternatives to smoking legal and accessible is growing every year. More and more politicians are coming out in favour of liberalisation. The media reports on these issues with much more balance than before.

But we remain in deadlock. Almost all the big medical organisations, health departments, Government bureaucracies and major health charities are in lockstep against this disruptive technology.

Our consumer organisation is tired. Our funds are dwindling. Our vape meets have been shut down. We are scattered and our volunteer base is shrinking. Iím not an organisation builder. I formed the NNA AU because someone had to do it.

I needed to do something new. Something disruptive. This is who I am.

Make no mistake, I believe as strongly as ever that nicotine vaping should not be a medicine. Nicotine vaping should be as widely accessible to adult smokers as possible, as a consumer product, to be sold widely in convenience outlets and vape shops.

But lives need to be saved, now. It is my duty to take down any barriers I can for people to switch to vaping, now. We cannot wait for the laws to change. And if my work in Nicovape leads to even one extra person taking up vaping who would have otherwise stayed a smoker, then it is worth it.

It is helpful to look at what happened with marijuana in the US. First they got it medicalised, then once it had wide uptake and acceptance it got legalised. In theory vaping is medicalised here, but itís not, because very few doctors will write a prescription. Vaping is for all practical purposes banned and illegal in Australia.

Nicovape approached me with their legal, prescription closed pod system plans and after much thought, I could see that this was the disruption I was looking for and I could really make a difference in this company with my deep knowledge, experience and contacts. Our device is similar to the JUUL in the USA, using high strength nicotine salts in a plug and play small factor format. JUUL is revolutionary, truly disrupting the smoking market, going gangbusters in the US, with massive growth and is leading to a new wave of vaping, and people are giving up smoking at unprecedented rates. Tobacco stocks are tumbling in a way that never happened with open systems vaping. I tried the JUUL myself last year, and I could see how it would appeal to many smokers who tried and failed with standard vaping.

It is still outrageous that we need a prescription, but itís pragmatic, and most importantly, will lead to many more vapers and lives saved. More vapers to pressure the Government. We are aiming for mass market adoption. Not eating into the existing market, but building an entirely new one from smokers, many of whom will undoubtedly want to change to something cheaper and more customisable once they get going. I will never intentionally do anything that hurts current vapers or the current vape industry, and I believe my work will help all vapers.

There are other plans afoot to massively re-invigorate consumer advocacy with new people, who are much better at organisation building, who will do better than me in this new phase of campaigning for full legalisation of vaping as a consumer product. I need to move on, so other people better than me can take over. But of course, we donít want to show our hand before we are ready!

And his second post (regarding his prescribing of nicotine)

I was just exploring the option of prescribing nicotine. I agree, $50 was too much, but it was the only way I could do it right there and then through an online consultation service that took a hefty percentage (the usual fee through them is $70). I never went ahead with that, and certainly never "solicited patients"; someone else was advertising this idea a lot more than me and not for friendly purposes! Of course, if you read my other post vapinginaustralia.com/post/14650/thread you will see what has now transpired. I'm not prescribing through Nicovape. I'm their medical director. And I have left the NNA AU. I left before I joined Nicovape.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Actually that top one is not an ATHRA update
    It was in this section

Doctors urged to recommend e-cigarettes to help smokers quit

AVF Regular
    Well its all tied in so it counts i think ...
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."

CMB
    AVF Regular
    There's that warm fuzzy blanket of bullshit...do I get a prize or what?

Sounds like someone has been masturbating over Winston Churchill's biography.
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular

There are other plans afoot to massively re-invigorate consumer advocacy with new people, who are much better at organisation building, who will do better than me in this new phase of campaigning for full legalisation of vaping as a consumer product. I need to move on, so other people better than me can take over. But of course, we don’t want to show our hand before we are ready!

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    There's that warm fuzzy blanket of bullshit...do I get a prize or what?

Sounds like someone has been masturbating over Winston Churchill's biography.
    The prize is one slightly soiled book CMB!
    It's a cause full of publicised martyrs.
    CMB likes this.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation

AVF Regular
    Title of future research/ book?

How the NNA AU and ATHRA fooled vapers into supporting them and how they then handed vaping over to pharmaceutical and medical industries in Australia

A how-to guide....for future health and pharmaceutical providers and other profiteers
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 09-05-18 at 06:01 PM.

AVF Regular
    You are right on the money rebelagainstthemachine! As per usual.

AVF Regular
    Sadly I think this might be the case - Oddly not too late to change things and the direction

*Sighs deeply ....
    DocM and 1ynne like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Title of future research/ book?

How the NNA AU and ATHRA fooled vapers into supporting them and then how they handed vaping over to pharmaceutical and medical industries in Australia

A how-to guide....for future health and pharmaceutical providers and other profiteers
    The book is titled "Pull yourselves together" or "How to set up your new business plan veiled in a disguise of advocacy"