Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Regulation Impact Statement

Regulation Impact Statement

Yesterday today I received the following email. I've removed the contact details as I don't know how many "industry" people have been invited to take part. Have any vendors received this too?

The Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing has commissioned
    the Allen Consulting Group to undertake a Regulation Impact Statement (RIS)
    which explores options for further regulation of electronic nicotine
    delivery systems (ENDS) and smokeless tobacco products in Australia.

The views of stakeholders will be sought as part of this RIS process. The
    purpose of this email is to inform you that you will soon be contacted by
    the Allen Consulting Group to schedule a date and time for an interview.
    The interview will either be via telephone or face to face and is expected
    to take approximately 30-45 minutes. You will receive a short discussion
    guide prior to the interview that will outline the issues to be discussed.

Interviews will be undertaken at a time convenient to you and will commence
    in early May.

I've got an interview locked in for next Friday at 11am and have been told I will receive more details about what to expect shortly. I'm trying to figure out if this is good news or the beginning of the end
    Avguy and ckane like this.

Anything from the health and ageing dept is likely to be bad news lets face ir, we all know how much money the govt make of cigarettes and they are in desperate need of more money. I can see a ban on ecigs coming into place I really hope that I am wrong!

Surely they can't ban e-cigs if a person is using a personal vaporiser and vaping food flavours and glycerin. So I wonder if they are looking at the impact of a regulation on personal vaporisers as well as, or just, the nicotine. Or is their main impact concern the money they will lose as more and more people realise the benefits of vaping and stop buying tobacco products

Please keep us informed SAS, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say!

This might actually help,the industry needs regulation & might lead to e liquid containing nicotine be legal for Australian vendors to sell.
    Number23 likes this.

That could mean that the price may be wacked up to the equivalent of mls per stick of cigarettes

The scare cry is always "we don't know what's in them" and to be totally fair, we don't.

The PG people use to mix down with. Where did you get it? PG is allowed to have (if memory serves) 0.1% DEG and should be alkaline. How do you that bottle you have there doesn't have 1% DEG and having aged it's becoming acidic? What about flavoring? Any decent vendor can tell you what they use, but there is no testing to make sure batches don't contain contaminants.

Now don't thing I'm scare mongering by pointing these things out. I personally believe the risk is so low that even in the current "wild west" environment it explains why outside of exploding lithium batteries, nobody has gotten hurt. But without regulation of some kind we will never see ecigs with nicotine being sold at retail.

Mixing juice is fun, but not for everybody. Ecigs won't become mass appealing until vendors can sell prefilled nic cartridges and disposables with nic. Some dodgy vendors already are but IMHO by doing so they risk fcuking us all over.

As soon as I have more details, rest assured, I will post them. No confidentiality clauses have been mentioned yet ;
    Chrisso likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mink View Post
    That could mean that the price may be wacked up to the equivalent of mls per stick of cigarettes
    Our government already made that mistake with Snus. There are elements from within the Cancer Council and such groups to allow Snus back on the market to reduce smoking related diseases.

Changing the law is a *****, so the optimist in me sees this as a way of properly regulating ecigs and Snus at the same time. The realist in me worries that Snus will legally stay where it is, and ecigs will join them.

The last update to our smoking laws already changed the term "tobacco" to "tobacco products". Technically it is already illegal to use smokeless tobacco products in No Smoking areas...

I guess I didn't look at it that way.

But as for seeing them sold retail, I don't know if it is the only one, but I asked about e-cigs at a tobacconist shop in our local shopping mall. He showed me the only ones he had. They were disposable cigarette look-alikes with spare prefilled (with nicotine) cartridges in a few different tobacco flavours. The cartridges weren't available separately. Can't remember exactly how much they were but he told me they were around the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes

They usually sell the kits for around $30 to $50 (which is fair given the Chinese buy is $12 - $18) and should only be selling the zero nic variety. Let's ignore that testing has shown many Chinese disposables marked as zero nic often contain some anyway and move on.

Some places are selling the above with nicotine and it's usually a case of the shop owner not knowing any better combined with the fact these laws aren't really being policed beyond a shaking fist at this stage.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast