Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What are the Bias' against e-cigarettes?

What are the Bias' against e-cigarettes?

The Janty website posted this news last month ;

"The ACSH (American Council on Science and Health) recently published a letter imploring the FDA to reconsider its negative stance on e-cigarettes. Considering the difficulty of quitting tobacco smoking and also the possible cessation capabilities of e-cigarettes, the FDA’s negative and unfounded stance might be doing more harm than good. All potential solutions including switching to e-cigarettes or ‘vaping’ should be evaluated and examined without bias."

We've had similar bureaucrats state similar things on Australian television and this recent terrorist alert crap that happened in the UK hasn't helped either. But what are the actual bias' that they have for the prohibition of electronic cigarette devices that are actually founded, if any?

• If they're worried that children may get to the liquid, then the same argument can be made for 50 other products in the household
    • If they're worried that the devices could start a fire, then again, so can so many other things in the household, and safety regulations such as cut-off switches could be enforced like for any other type electronic device. But since there's been no report of e-cig fires, theres no reason to fear that particular scenario.
    • If they're worried that people will start drinking the nicotine juice, then I challenge them to taste the stuff raw.
    • If they're worried that youths will use the e-cigs as a gateway to smoking analogue cigarettes then they have the whole thing mixed up. Vaping is, and will always be better than smoking. It's an upgrade for nicotine intake, not a gateway.

Sometimes I think they just imagine in their own heads what their ideal future Utopia would look like, and it arrogantly doesn't include people blowing fog out of their mouths because that just doesn't happen to be their particular type of vice. And so they have a superficial bias against it. It doesn't fit with their pictured fantasy.

I should add that while I tremendously enjoy vaping, it's sole purpose was, and is to prevent myself from smoking. However, I don't plan to quit vaping.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 23-07-12 at 10:00 PM.
    margyb, gtadmin, WokinDog and 1 others like this.

Don't forget the big one:

The "public face" is a war against smoking. The real agenda is a war against the tobacco industry as a whole and "nicotine addiction".

(Personally, from everything I've read, I don't even think nicotine addiction is real. Addicted to smoking, sure, but not JUST nicotine)

just grabbed a link to post here, these thread seems expedient.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...oure-nicd.html
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

From the article the publican said “The minute someone uses one [ecigarette] I get endless customers complaining someone is smoking. I tell anyone using one to go outside like any other smoker. It’s only fair.” It is the "any other smokers" that is presenting us problems and I am not sure how it is going to be eradicated from the vaping ignorant general public. We are not any other smoker. No point looking to help from the authorities on this issue because they want vapers to be branded any other smoker so the nanny no smoking rules can apply.

Probably the nub is that smokers have been vilified and branded as evil and society must see them suffer when giving up the smokes - vaping appears to take the suffering away so smokers are getting off lightly. There is still a strong puritan influence abroad in society generally and vaping is falling foul of it.
    gtadmin and WokinDog like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    Don't forget the big one:

The "public face" is a war against smoking. The real agenda is a war against the tobacco industry as a whole and "nicotine addiction".

(Personally, from everything I've read, I don't even think nicotine addiction is real. Addicted to smoking, sure, but not JUST nicotine)
    You don't beleive in nicotine addiction?

I've quit smoking many times in the past, everyday I would still craved a ciggy.
    I tried substituting ciggies for joints, everyday I had enough conscious power, I still craved ciggies.
    Switching to vaping nic juice, no cravvings.
    If you don't think it is addictive, whhy are you trying to do what you do, you don't need nicotine juice, just vape for the shit of it

I suppose I should clarify. Nicotine would appear to be no more addictive than caffeine - ie people enjoy it, and "miss it" but it's not a true chemical dependancy like, say, heroin.

You've just made the classic mistake: nicotine does not equal smoking. It's the combination of tobacco alkaloids and MAOIs in smoke than make nicotine FAR more potent than it is by itself. There is also the ritual involved, which is the big part I didn't want to give up.

I actually tried vaping nic free one weekend and although I was chain vaping it did help a lot. I just missed the feeling the nic gave me.

So that's my opinion, take it as you will

P.S. I do what I do because e-cigs clearly work for many people, for whatever reason. IMHO it's criminal to allow cigarettes in a country but not allow e-cigs. I personally think snus should be allowed here too for people who also crave the tobacco alkaloids and MAOIs (and therefore vaping doesn't cut it).
    DAWZZY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyjohn View Post
    “The minute someone uses one [ecigarette] I get endless customers complaining someone is smoking. I tell anyone using one to go outside like any other smoker. It’s only fair.”
    My solution to this is to just stealth. If "other smokers" can't see the vapor, they don't get upset

What we need is a court case. The current anti-smoking laws are all driven by fear of litigation. Making a vaper (who has quit smoking) stand with the smokers and therefore passive smoke is a HUGE no-no in my book. A court case would be tricky since most vapers were smokers so burden of proof would be a serious challenge but if a single case succeeded in sueing due to passive smoke exposure, this would no longer happen.

Super Moderator
    SAS, don't think a case would ever succeed as you (the vaper) has a choice; you can choose to go outside for a vape with the smokers, or you can choose to not vape while you're there?

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    SAS, don't think a case would ever succeed as you (the vaper) has a choice; you can choose to go outside for a vape with the smokers, or you can choose to not vape while you're there?
    Yeah, I get that it's a bit of a dream. It just bugs me - they'd never make somebody using a nicotine inhaler go outside with the smokers, and there really isn't any difference. I think it would be more successful against a business forcing vapers to use the smoking area and not allowed anywhere else, but it's still a dream.

Having said that, people have the "choice" to smoke or not and those court cases still succeeded. The bigger problem is affording the kick-arse legal council

Sueing the tobacco industry was big business for lawyers, the same can't be said for vapers - the money just isn't there.
    gtadmin likes this.

I think of it as similar to having a portable fog machine.
    If I had such a device, no inhaling, just produced a small amount of fog, I think they would ask you to get the **** off the property.
    same with one of them bubble machines, sometimes I think we could be doing ourselves a favour by at least having one type of base that did NOT produce a visible vapor, this would be far more likely to be socially acceptable.
    soundasleep and gtadmin like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast