Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Ozzie

Thread: Where will the government get it's revenue?

Where will the government get it's revenue?

So the Australian government recieves BILLIONS of dollars through tax revenue from tobacco cigarette sales. I'm sure the general public would argue that that money goes towards paying for anti-smoking campaigns and public health costs associated with smoking analogue cigarettes. Whatever. The question I have is, what will happen when e-cigs eventually take a stronger hold of nicotine-addicted Australians?

Could they start taxing us on nicotine imports, vapour devices and maybe even a tax on mixing liquids? I always get worried about this.

Attachment 2776

(The above is just art work - if I've misrepresented any vendor or breached copyright, let the forum admin know, I'm not a lawyer, I just post things).
    Last edited by mavinry4; 12-07-12 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling

AVF Regular
    first off, it's never going to happen. vapers will always be a minority. a lot of people will use ecigs to quit outright. for some it'll work, for others it won't, for whatever reason...flavours, allergy to pg and inability to search past the first 3 results on google to find a real ecig shop instead of the the prefilled crap..or just not suited to vaping (it's not for everyone), of those it works for, i'd say a small amount would stick with it like we do. they see it as a means to an end, we just see it as a thing we do now instead of smoking.

as for what the government will do? more sin taxes. it's fairly common knowledge that tobacco taxes were never raised to make people quit, but in response to people quitting. they'll just keep doing that.

the majority of smokers won't change to ecigs, you would need to ban them outright to get them to stop.
    ask around how many people here have partners who smoke .. i'm one. In reality I can't see more than 10% swapping to ecigs on a full time basis, many more smokers may use ecigs to quit smoking though, i can see that occurring.

So revenue may drop, but it will not dry up till they make cigs illegal, that would be shooting themself in the foot as it will just drive it underground.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

lol, should have read smashs post before replying .. what he said
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    ha! your thunder is mine....all MINE!!!

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    The Govt national tobacco strategy has been the same for a long time. Raise the prices enough so it hurts and public awareness.
    Unfortunately for some the addiction wins out and the money is always found.
    Because the number (%) of smokers has decreased over the years, they believe the strategy is working, and allowing an 'unknown' like e-cigs would alter the strategy.

This is the ' we have always done it this way' mentality which worked on some people but doesnt address the people who are seriously addicted.

There is a long story about 5 monkeys.
    Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and goes to climb the stairs. To his horror, the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt, he knows if he touches the stairs he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer joins in the punishment with enthusiasm! Then, replace a third monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time a newcomer takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey. After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys has ever been sprayed with cold water. Still, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs.

Why not?

Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here...