Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: E-cigarettes aren’t a solution — they’re part of the problem

E-cigarettes aren’t a solution — they’re part of the problem

just stumbled on this load of crap !

https://theconversation.edu.au/e-cig...he-problem-423

My response:
    Electronic cigarette are the part of solution not the part of problem.
    I tried patches,gum,drugs and a bunch of other quit smoking programs and let me tell you, Becky if it was not for e cigarettes i would still be smoking and passing the ill effects onto my family and friends slowly killing myself and others.
    If your anti vaping then you have to be pro smoking. If you take away a persons opportunity to quit smoking through vaping which has made a lot of success then you are condemning those people to a cancer related death.
    From 50 a day to 0 i have to say that e cigarets are my and many other's miracle cure
    I doubt you have not interviewed many people that vape to find out how e cigarettes have released from the perils of smoking.
    margyb and Ian like this.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    I have just had a look and there are a few valid points as there are a few misconceptions. I have not seen anywhere that ecigs have been marketed to the general public, non smoker. Lets be real here, smoking should never be normalized, and product placement in my book is bad form. I think in Western Australia, its been banned for a long time for retailers to sell "Lookalikes", be it toys, sweets, or ecigs. Don't know how TW are going to manage in there new set up in WA?? One good point made was this

"In a paradoxical twist, the most harmful form of nicotine delivery, tobacco prepared and packed for smoking, is excluded from the poison schedule."
    RIDING OLD SKOOL likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Oh god....I bet this hypocrite chugs down coke everyday and eats bad food and drinks as much as the next Aussie, but no smoking is always the devil. In fact I bet he/she is like most people and feeds his kids processed food/snacks and mc donalds.

Vaping IS Not smoking and there is nothing wrong with the act of smoking, its WHAT you smoke that matters.

Just typical Political correctness BS that we keep seeing these days.
    Last edited by Ernster86; 23-07-12 at 07:40 PM.
    gtadmin and RIDING OLD SKOOL like this.

Super Moderator
    He's a she, isn't he/she? A number of incorrect statements in the article too.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    He's a she, isn't he/she? A number of incorrect statements in the article too.

Disclosure Statement

Becky Freeman receives funding from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Disclosure Statement

Becky Freeman receives funding from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council.
    Yeah, I saw that. I should've "Replied with quote" before ernster edited his post

Quote Originally Posted by RIDING OLD SKOOL View Post
    just stumbled on this load of crap !
    My response:
    Electronic cigarette are the part of solution not the part of problem.
    I tried patches,gum,drugs and a bunch of other quit smoking programs and let me tell you, Becky if it was not for e cigarettes i would still be smoking and passing the ill effects onto my family and friends slowly killing myself and others.
    If your anti vaping then you have to be pro smoking. If you take away a persons opportunity to quit smoking through vaping which has made a lot of success then you are condemning those people to a cancer related death.
    From 50 a day to 0 i have to say that e cigarets are my and many other's miracle cure
    I doubt you have not interviewed many people that vape to find out how e cigarettes have released from the perils of smoking.
    From the article;

"Because nicotine is a scheduled poison in Australia, e-cigarettes are banned for sale within Australian retail outlets. Scheduled poisons are tightly controlled and can’t simply be sold in any retail outlet to anyone who wants them."

No they're not. E-cigs are just electronic hardware. You can't sell nicotine. The author hasn't done her homework.

But they don’t come cheap and can cost upwards of $120, plus the nicotine cartridges must be continually reordered.

You can pick up eGo batteries for less than $15. This author has no idea what she's on about. How can I trust anything she says after this?

In a paradoxical twist, the most harmful form of nicotine delivery, tobacco prepared and packed for smoking, is excluded from the poison schedule.

Yeah, funny that. Quite hypocritical if you ask me. She should have written an article soley on that.

Nicotine replacement products, such as the patch, gum and inhaler, which have undergone extensive medical testing and proven to be both safe and effective in helping people quit smoking, are also allowed to be marketed and sold in Australia.

Patches have been shown to not work for the smoker. All smokers I know have failed to quit smoking with them. They work only to bring in profits for the pharmecetical companies.

For the rest of the article, I'll just comment that I've been vaping for 9 and half months, and haven't had a cigarette in that time- and that debunks everything she wrote in the rest of the article. In fact, the smell of burning tobacco repulses me. It baffles me as to why people would want to inhale something that tastes like morning bon fire ash, when they could be inhaling something tasting like smooth caramel pie.

But her last statement is unbelievable.

"Selling smokers unfounded promises of a miracle cure cannot be a foundation for public health policy."

So are unfounded judgements and misinformation regarding a topic you haven't done proper and detailed research on.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 23-07-12 at 08:43 PM.

She should stick to writing peer reviewed articles so someone can correct her mistakes as she is obviously too lazy to do the research.
    Goz and gtadmin like this.

AVF Regular
    becky.freeman@sydney.edu.au

Please be polite!!!

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I read it and was going to comment, but saw the 'opinion' was written in 2011 and decided best to leave it die on its own.

However my thoughts were similar to mavinry4, if this person is a researcher for public health, then surely she would do her research instead of just posting an opinion?

At face value it has little factual information, no scientific basis and is merely an opinion, however maybe she was just trying to incite some discussion?
    RIDING OLD SKOOL likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast