Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Tazzy~ ban on tobacco sales.

Tazzy~ ban on tobacco sales.

Tasmania's Health Minister is under pressure to decide whether she will act on an Upper House motion which could result in an eventual ban on tobacco sales.

The Legislative Council has backed a motion supporting a ban on the sale of cigarettes.

The Independent Member for Windermere, Ivan Dean, wants to make it illegal for people born after the year 2000 to buy tobacco once they turn 18.

The move comes after the tobacco industry lost a High Court challenge to stop the Commonwealth's introduction of plain packaging.

Mr Dean says something has to be done.

"This would mean that we would have a generation of people not exposed to tobacco products," he said.

"It would be easier for retailers to enforce because when they ask for ID, all they would need to see if the person was born after the year 2000."

"Young people are more likely to give cigarettes to more young people.

"As the generation reaches 18 years, there will be fewer of them smoking and while some of those first turning 18 might smoke, as time goes on fewer and fewer will."

While the vote was unanimous, the Independent Member for Murchison, Ruth Forrest, foresees problems.

"These children born post-2000 will still be exposed to passive smoking because the reality is there will still be people who'll continue to smoke and even now the restrictions push people away from doors and buildings like that," she said.

"We still get to walk through a cloud of smoke every now and then."

Health Minister Michelle O'Byrne believes a smoking ban is worthy of serious consideration.

In a statement, Ms O'Byrne says she has asked the Commissioner for Children to analyse the proposal.

It is understood Singapore and Finland are the only other jurisdictions considering such a law.

The Cancer Council's Simon Barnsley welcomes the move and is urging the Tasmanian Government to act.

"We believe it'd be exciting for the Government to explore radical new ideas that might set the pace for the rest of the country," he said.
    The motion also calls for a reduction in the number of outlets licensed to sell tobacco.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    This is interesting.
    Unless the whole of Au followed suit a 21 yo smoker in 2021 wouldnt want to visit the apple isle, etc.

Does this infringe on human rights?

Why not withdraw them from sale nationally and have a big S on drivers licenses or 18+ card.
    Only people with that S can purchase tobacco.
    Or instead of an S how about a big yellow star?

Later we can round up all the people with a star and send them to smoking camps.
    Noe, margyb, gtadmin and 6 others like this.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    They are even doing a poll and banning is winning :

9728 voters so far
    27% wrong
    63% excellent

Bid to ban cigarettes for anyone born after 2000

Poll: How do you rate the idea of banning cigarette sales to anyone born after 2000?
    Poll closes in 12 hours.
    Last edited by margyb; 22-08-12 at 01:17 PM.

AVF Regular
    they'll succeed at making smoking more attractive to rebellious teenagers.
    MizzD and Fatman like this.

Super Moderator
    I can see Tassie becoming the Chop Chop capital of Aussie !
    X-BoNeS-X and eteach like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Supreme Overlord of these Realms
    I myself do not disagree or agree with the position as such. The reality is bans will occur eventually. You can only continue to sell a product with no positive benefits and a whole bunch of negative benefits for so long.

A solution like this would certainly ease the population into by allowing those who already smoke continue to do so while drastically cutting the amount of new smokers taking it up. You therefore reduce the anger amonst current tax paying smokers while weaning the population down.
    Noe and RIDING OLD SKOOL like this.

Well if they ban smoking in any state they should be handing out PV's and e juice, cuz lets face it vaping is smoking's methadome .
    Noe and Fatman like this.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

AVF Regular
    prohibition doesn't work. period.
    eteach likes this.

Sik
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    prohibition doesn't work. period.
    Pretty much this
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

my evil side wants to see it go ahead.
    it will be interesting to see if it makes more teens take it up. i think it will.
    you ban it, they want it.
    the other side of banning something is the fines for the law breakers. how high will they need to go.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast