Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The passive vaping fable

The passive vaping fable

An interesting review on the study which claimed that passive vaping is harmful;

The passive vaping fable | Anti-THR Lie of the Day

From the review linked above :

.....The “large scale vaping/smoking experiment” was performed in an 8 cubic meter stainless-steel emission test chamber (about the size of the interior of American family SUV or minivan – with the windows up and the vents closed). A volunteer sat in the chamber and air quality was sampled after 20 minutes to establish a baseline. Then the volunteer was given an e-cigarette with one of three liquids: apple-flavored with no nicotine; apple-flavored with a nicotine concentration of 1.8%; and tobacco flavored with 1.8% nicotine. This was followed by a last trial, in which the volunteer smoked a cigarette.

For the large scale stainless steel chamber experiment, the researchers reported on the 20 compounds with the highest concentrations, comparing them to the concentrations at baseline. Fourteen of the 20 compounds that increased for the cigarette smoke showed no increase over baseline for the vapor of any of the three e-cigarette samples.

The six compounds that did increase for vapor samples were

1. 2-butanone (MEK),
    2. acetic acid,
    3. acetone,
    4. isoprene,
    5. formaldehyde,
    6. acetaldehyde.

....Just how hazardous are the compounds in vapor? The Occupational Safety and Health Administration publishes permissible exposure limits (PELs) for hundreds of chemicals that might be present in the air at workplaces. Five of the six compounds were present in quantities that are less than 1% of the PEL. The sixth compound, formaldehyde, is produced naturally by the human body, and it was present at 2.4% of the PEL. If the researchers had provided this comparison in their data, it would have been obvious that their conclusions did not fit the facts.

There's much more to the review linked above, such as how the researchers changed their methodology on the fly because they weren't getting the results they were hoping to, and how they used specific language in their conclusions to misdirect the reader.

Are there really people out there trying to falsely discredit vaping? /sarcastic question.

Plenty. If you want a number try multiplying the number of people in parliament x billions $ lost in tax revenue to govt if vaping replaced smoking x hundreds of millions $ lost to big pharma in useless stop smoking aids. That is the number vaping is up against - formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyjohn View Post
    Plenty. If you want a number try multiplying the number of people in parliament x billions $ lost in tax revenue to govt if vaping replaced smoking x hundreds of millions $ lost to big pharma in useless stop smoking aids. That is the number vaping is up against - formidable.
    From the blog that the review was posted on, it gave a list of people who would be against vaping;

• anti-tobacco extremists (those who take the most extreme possible position toward tobacco and nicotine use, considering it to all be so bad that specific characteristics — such as reducing the health effects to an undetectably low level — make no difference to them)
    • prohibitionists (who know that once low-risk tobacco and nicotine products dominate the market, there will be little incentive for users to quit and little popular support for prohibitionism; thus they need to make sure that people keep smoking)
    • those who hate industry more than they care about health (similar practical goals as the prohibitionists: if THR succeeds, there will be companies that profit from selling the products indefinitely, and some of these will be the companies that dominated cigarette sales; thus their only hope of destroying the companies is to make sure they stay only in the cigarette business)
    • those who fear losing their government and pharmaceutical funding (while the tobacco industry could survive the replacement of cigarettes, the tobacco control industry depends on the continuing popularity of smoking, and most of its jobs will disappear after THR becomes the norm)
    • long-time activists who are so invested in their personal history and ego that they resist the possibility that the health effects from smoking will be reduced in spite of them, rather than because of them.
    wood duck likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have a friend who claims vaping near him makes his eyes water and nose itch.

I suspect he's having a psychosomatic response to what his mind mistakes for smoke.

I'm sorely tempted to set up a double blind experiment to test whether he can actually detect the nic or flavourings in the vapour. That'd work for the alleged "nose itch", but can't quite think of how to do it with the claim it hurts his eyes.

Super Moderator
    punch him in the nose and ask him which version of eye watering he would prefer?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

I know this bloke thats always sick, every few weeks has a new medical condition right, about 2 weeks ago he's telling my missus how bad vaping is for her and myself~ (he talks alot of shit so i let it go, he limps into my work shop and tells me he broke his back one week~ next he has 4 broken ribs) last week he dropped into my work shop i down tools to talk to him as i went to grab my vmax out of my pocket he said "oh please dont smoke ya pipe thing it gives me a head ache ... promptly asked him who the fuk he was to tell me what i cant do in my work shop (i felt like punching him in the head but kept my cool) and told him to fuk off as i picked up my disc sander and got back to work.
    yay no more poor me story's as i don't expect him to drop in any time soon THANKS VAPING !!!
    Last edited by RIDING OLD SKOOL; 06-09-12 at 09:57 PM.
    Stoney, Noe, wood duck and 5 others like this.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    I have a friend who claims vaping near him makes his eyes water and nose itch.

I suspect he's having a psychosomatic response to what his mind mistakes for smoke.

I'm sorely tempted to set up a double blind experiment to test whether he can actually detect the nic or flavourings in the vapour. That'd work for the alleged "nose itch", but can't quite think of how to do it with the claim it hurts his eyes.
    Take your friend to a nightclub where they have a fog machine running & see if they complain about it. Then if they don't(which is the most likely scenario), put some plain PG/VG 50/50 into a carto & vape that near them, flavorless without nic. Bet they complain Thing is it is the same fog as produced by the fog machine in the nightclub.
    Stoney and GirlyPantz like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

lol, i liked that one..!
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Thing is it is the same fog as produced by the fog machine in the nightclub.
    Fog machines are actually worse for you than vaping as they contain various mineral oils and sometimes other substances to make the fog thicker, and last longer.
    supersports600 likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    Fog machines are actually worse for you than vaping as they contain various mineral oils and sometimes other substances to make the fog thicker, and last longer.
    Yep & they dont always use the bes VG or PG to make the fog either, ie less pure.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast