Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mavinry4

Thread: E-Cigs Gaining Ground in the Market

E-Cigs Gaining Ground in the Market

E-Cigs Gaining Ground
    By Mitch Morrison
    CSP Daily News | September 14, 2012

NEW YORK -- Despite uneven performance in the convenience sector, electronic cigarettes are increasingly winning space and promotion in the channel. An exclusive UBS-CSP Daily News poll shows that more than three-fourths of operators believe e-cigarettes will continue to grow as a category.

[..]

E-cigarettes have generated enormous attention over the past two years, garnering curiosity, uncertainty and hope as a robust alternative to cigarettes. The segment to date is showing some wins:

The fact is e-cigarettes are penetrating most of the channel, albeit with mixed results.
    More merchants are featuring multiple brands versus just one.
    And, among the sea of products, some e-cigarette brands are emerging as frontrunners.

Among the brands leading the charge, NJOY took top spot, with 32% of operators carrying it, followed by Krave (Vapor), Cig2Go and Logic. That said, more than 10 brands were mentioned as capturing at least some market share.

"Retailers are still in sampling mode," said UBS tobacco analyst Nik Modi. "What will define the winners is capital, because it's going to take a lot of capital to get brand equity, have a product that can withstand FDA scrutiny."

[..]

The UBS-CSP Daily News survey further asked if sales of e-cigarettes had grown over the past 12 months. The answer was an emphatic yes. Four of five retailers had experienced growth, and only 3% reported a decline, with the rest remaining flat.

"More people are trying them," a retailer said. "We are getting refill orders and the disposables are picking up a little bit."

Read full article here

Interestingly, I came across this by accident ;

thelucky7smokeshop ‏@thelucky7smokes
    "Today at my tobacco shop, e-cig/vaping sales eclipsed tobacco sales. First time ever. "

The market solves a problem by doing what it does best. Bureaucratic public health advisers attempt to solve problems by picking out diarrhoea poo-like colours from a Bunnings paint chart.
    Stoney likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    [B]

"Retailers are still in sampling mode," said UBS tobacco analyst Nik Modi. "What will define the winners is capital, because it's going to take a lot of capital to get brand equity, have a product that can withstand FDA scrutiny."
    400 million dollars was the magic number in the early 90's. May be able to get away without ADEC and a number of others through the TGA process, it's not a new drug so a bit of a cost saving there hopefully. My gut says we'll be right and e-cigs are the future.

unfortunately IMO, in time when it catches on, there will be legislation brought in to dumb it down a bit so any tom **** and harry can do it, not just us enthusiasts.

Gone are the good'ol'days, no more Darwin Awards, just idiocracy.

I wonder how bad a vendor you need to be to 'experience a decline'.
    even a shonky cigalike company should get increased sales .. they must be seriously shonky or something.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    I would say poor marketing strategy, decreased enthusiasm, bad service, poor product and high prices to name a few.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    Where it says retailers, read retail outlets that sell e-cigarettes, such as convenience stores and servos.

It's not the ecig companies that experienced the decline, they are surveying people who sell them in their shops.

So 3% of retail outlets that stock ecigs, experienced a decline.

Supreme Overlord of these Realms
    Yeah and I would suggest that most of those retailers would not be "THAT" keen to shift more ecigs than they do tobacco. The reality is at the end of the day in some regards its still a product with at the moment and uncertain regulatory future due to governments sticking their nose in. Worse still is with the ease of ability of import into the US of cheap juices, cheap nicotine and cheap hardware you also risk losing that customer to online ordering especially with the PACT act into the use a few years ago.

The PACT act made it very difficult in a lot of states to purchase and ship in tobacco online or at the very least drove up the price to do so. From what I can tell this act does not effect nicotine juices as they are not a tobacco product leaving Americans very able to order in incredibly cheap juices as opposed to tobacco. Why go to your local tobacconist and pay 2x what it costs for an ego and 3 times as much per ml of juice?

Eh, just ranting really.

Every day people give smoking away but every day someone takes up vaping, i would love to know the numbers !
    every week or so i hand out a list of gear and venders and in the short time i've been vaping i know of 7 people that now vape due to me showing them how good it really is.

I like to share my experience with vaping but on the other-hand if vaping becomes to big the bubble will burst and the government will step in !

catch 22 i feel unsure that by helping others right now will damage vapers in Aus down the track
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    I think if vaping takes off then the gummint steps in, there will be a bigger vocal uproar.

They have got in early really as e-cigs have limited growth due to nicotine restrictions.
    Expand, get vocal, convert the smokers to vaping.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

High retail prices are killing sales here when our local shop sells an ego-t kit for $90 and doesn't sell juice at all. People go online looking for juices and realise they got ripped off, they aren't going to go back. He told me he get's em for $25 a kit, they do have overheads but $90 is a bit steep.

I was discussing it with the oldies earlier who I've converted and they were saying if the govt starts taxing juice like cigarettes they see it being $100 a bottle or more. PV's work, no doubt about it, best quit smoking tool ever I just hope it doesn't end badly for us. Someone mentioned this as being a golden age of vaping and I hope it doesn't change.
    Last edited by a1120028; 16-09-12 at 05:48 PM.

AVF Regular
    I think if u saw a breakdown of the taxes that placed on analogues they wouldn't b applicable to juices in most cases. Not that they couldn't invent more.