Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mavinry4
  • 2 Post By powerslave

Thread: Anti-Nicotine Consumption is a Moral Issue, not a Health Issue

Anti-Nicotine Consumption is a Moral Issue, not a Health Issue

Just letting you all know about this guy.

Gerry Stimson discussing alternatives to smoking tobacco and nicotine replacement therapies: e-cigarettes are now reliable, and the future for them as harm free nicotine delivery devices that are attractive to users looks promising. Also snus (pouches of pasteurised tobacco, popular in Sweden the only place in the EU where they are legal) might be more culturally specific, but also have the potential to deliver nicotine in a less-harmful way.

He makes a few interesting points throughout the interview. One particular quote ; "Even if the whole population were consuming these products (electronic cigarettes), we would have infinitesimal risks from this, so it's not a health risk, but there is of course a moral issue about whether people should be consuming an addictive substance, but that I think is not the big issue anymore, no more of an issue than if people like to drink a lot of coffee or other substance, as long as the health risks are absent". He then goes on to talk about how this problem of tobacco related diseases is being solved without the need of governmental assistance.

He was the Executive Director of Harm Reduction International up until the end of 2010. He is now the director of Knowledge Action Change.

Good to know about a Professor with a British accent for a change.

Super Moderator
    A brilliant clip Mav , thanks for sharing ... I like the way the Prof thinks !
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Brilliant! It was refreshing to listen to someone with a practical and, in some ways, pragmatic approach to the issue.

I agree, mav - it is nice to hear a British accent, but then I am biased on that.

Some weird camera angles there - I understand the need to change the angle to keep the interest of the viewer, but I don't care whether he's bald or not!

I particularly liked his comment about the ecig industry giving the tobacco companies an incentive to become "Nicotine Companies" , as a way out of their current market. Exiting the cigarette market does not mean the end of their corporation.

I look forward to the day I can go down to 7 Eleven and pick up some 24mg/mL Winfeild Gold Juice, and not have to worry about having some nicotine stock bottles that might go off in 2 years.

EDIT: Not that I don't enjoy the mixing aspect of vaping ;-)
    Last edited by mavinry4; 24-09-12 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    I particularly liked his comment about the ecig industry giving the tobacco companies an incentive to become "Nicotine Companies" , as a way out of their current market. Exiting the cigarette market does not mean the end of their corporation...
    I thought years ago that tobacco companies would be the first to invent a 'smokeless' cigarette of some kind and reduce the harm caused by tobacco - after all, they were the ones with all the money and would surely be looking forwards. My mistake. It would appear they use their budget for marketing rather than R&D.

Once I discovered electronic cigarettes, I stopped looking at tobacco companies entirely. An entirely new industry has sprung up and despite it currently being unregulated, I trust specific companies' self regulating standards more than I would a tobacco company. Am I making sense? It's the antibiotics, you know. LOL.

I think he nailed it.... "A harm reduction intervention that is driven by the community"

That is the way it is now and that is the way it should stay, 1/2 the motivation for me to changing from analogs to vaping was the community and in that real people that really understood my struggles with quitting not some Doctor that want to think he knew or other Non smokers trying to sympathize or not understand..

I haven't been around that long in the vaping world but understand that the community as a whole has worked incredibly hard to get it to the point that it is, it's also bought other ex smokers together across the globe together to fight for a common goal. will a total regulation with no community consultation kill that ?

I think it was a very well presented opinion on a solution to a problem that everyone including vapers agree on smoking analogs is no good.

AVF Regular
    just got to be wary of people saying that it delivers "pure" nicotine(we all know what he means but some of the uneducated might not, and heaven help us if some nimrod decides to try using pure nic)...... as old mate said at around 3:38-3:39.....apart from that great video

MY LEGEND IS BUILT ON THE CORPSES OF THOSE WHO STOOD AGAINST ME
    When asked to move a mountain, don't be daunted by the size of the mountain, merely start moving the rocks
    Provari v2 ,DIDN'Tx2, AGA-Tx2,Kir Fanis Tripolitis Tower tank, GGTS with clone ITHAKA, Sigelei Telescope,Vmax,couple of different clone mech mods, few different clone drippers and atties

powerslave, I agree on the community thing. The vaping community provides excellent support and encouragement - and fellow vapers really do understand how difficult it is to give up smoking. I don't think I'll ever touch another cigarette, but I still hang out here. Other people's opinions are still useful and interesting and it does provide an incentive to stay off the tobacco and keep vaping.

I do wonder how vaping could be made more mainstream and acceptable without wrecking it. Mainstream seems to mean regulation and whilst I don't object to sensible regulation, you know that once bureaucrats get their hands on something, they regulate it into bland mediocrity.

lol not helpfull that he almost puked when he bum puffed that e cig
    ...at 6 foot 6 and a hundred tons, the undisputed king of the slums...