Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anti-E-cig Groups Took Money from Pharmeceutical Companies

Anti-E-cig Groups Took Money from Pharmeceutical Companies

The eight anti-smoking organizations that have opposed electronic cigarettes and called for their removal from the market pocketed a total of $2.8 million from Big Pharma's Pfizer during 2011 and the first half of 2012, according to figures being released today by The Rest of the Story.

Based on financial contribution reports published by Pfizer, the anti-smoking groups that have called for a ban on electronic cigarettes have received millions from the pharmaceutical manufacturer of Chantix, a smoking cessation product that stands to lose enormously if electronic cigarettes become increasingly popular. These organizations have repeatedly failed to disclose their financial interests in Big Pharma when making statements opposing electronic cigarettes.

The numbers compiled by The Rest of the Story are as follows (these represent Pfizer money received by each anti-smoking group during 2011 and the first two quarters of 2012):

American Academy of Pediatrics: $720,800
    American Cancer Society: $252,750
    American Heart Association: $136,000
    American Lung Association: $190,250
    Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids: $100,000
    American Medical Association: $857,500
    American Legacy Foundation: $300,000
    Action on Smoking and Health: $200,000

GRAND TOTAL: $2,757,300

Read the rest of the story here

Multiple Choice Question : Who is Big Pharma's *****?

a) American Cancer Society
    b) Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
    c) American Medical Association
    d) Action on Smoking and Health
    e) All of the Above

ǝʌoqɐ ǝɥʇ ɟo ןןɐ (ǝ) : ɹǝʍsuɐ
    Stoney and RIDING OLD SKOOL like this.

love ya avatar ! thanks for the info
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

AVF Regular
    Does it list Pfizer's average contribution throughout the years? I'd be more interested to know if this is a new payment or if they have been donating this sort of cash for 15 years.

AVF Regular
    I have no evidence, but i'm guessing for years, after all the anti-smoking industry *is* and industry employing a lot of people getting money from government and private corporations.

AVF Regular
    I sort of struggle with the idea from an economic stand point. The only thing that makes sense to me is if the FDA and whoever controls pharmaceuticals releasing stuff is holding up pharma companies of bringing e-cigs to the market. From my perspective all of the other quit smoking aids are just that, they are nicotine/smoking cessation aids. A person uses them, sometimes up to say three months and then comes off them. That is, they hope their only interaction with these products will be one course of treatment ever.

I mean I have never heard of someone who hasn't smoked in 6 months still walking around with a patch on their back or chewing gum. Anyone who has used these products know that they only take the slightest edge off the cravings - and I do mean slightest edge. So once the 'OMG I need a ciggy or I am going to kill someone' cravings have dissipated or at least dropped to a manageable level people will come off them.

E-cigs on the other hand have shown to have lasting power. People are happily transitioning from smoking to vaping as an ongoing concern. I can't see why you would try and destroy this really tasty market rather than sweep in and try and control the market and dominate it with your products? To me the argument seems counter-productive. Why wipe out a market you could control? Surely you would put the money into R&D, marketing and getting your product legalised, then start slagging off all the competition. I can't see any reason for them poisoning waters which would offer them the opportunity to print money.
    Last edited by Quom; 26-09-12 at 01:21 PM.

For a comparison, I went through the 2008 and 2011 reports and extracted any line containing either "cessation" or "tobacco". This is what I found ;

U.S. Medical, Scientific, Patient and Civic Organizations Funding Report 2008

1. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION OF THE MID-ATLANTIC Penn State University study on impact of smoking and smoking cessation programs on Pennsylvania's economy $10,000
    2. MEN'S HEALTH NETWORK Smoking Cessation Public Policy Summit $10,000
    3. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER Smoking Cessation Medical Training Curriculum $300,000
    4. NEW JERSEY ASSOCIATION OF OSTEOPATHIC PHYSICIANS AND Educational program about smoking cessation $3,110
    5. PRIVATE DUTY SERVICES, INC. Adult tobacco cessation classes $2,500
    6. UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY Reducing Second Hand Smoke: An Innovative Approach to Promoting Cessation $5,000
    7. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS Scientific Assembly 60 Minute Lecture: Group Visits for Tobacco Cessation $10,000
    8. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS FOUNDATION Family Medicine Office Champions Tobacco Cessation: National Dissemination Project $150,000
    9. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION OF INDIANA Respiratory Health and Tobacco Cessation Program and Public Health Education $1,000
    10. BAYLOR UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER Psychological and Physiological Aspects of Smoking Cessation and Tobacco Dependence $3,250
    11. CARDIOVASCULAR INSTITUTE OF THE SOUTH Smoking Cessation and Prevention $5,000
    12. INDIANA UNIVERSITY Smoking Cessation Outcomes Improvement Program $99,700
    13. MISSISSIPPI SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS Presentation about a tobacco cessation program based on patient utilization, feedback, and follow up in an $5,000
    employee health plan
    14. NEW JERSEY ASSOCIATION OF OSTEOPATHIC PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS Smoking Cessation Program NEW JERSEY PHYSICIANS General Operating Support $5,000
    15. OKLAHOMA OSTEOPATHIC ASSOCIATION What's New In Smoking Cessation? $5,000
    16. OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SOCIETY SOUTHWEST Smoking Cessation $1,500
    17. PARKVIEW HOSPITAL Help Your Patients Quit: An Approach to Smoking Cessation $5,100
    18. VETERANS AFFAIRS MEDICAL CENTER, MARTINSBURG Treatment Strategies for Smoking Cessation and Nicotine Addiction $2,700
    19. WILCOX MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Smoking Cessation and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease $1,963
    20. WIREGRASS NP ASSOCIATION Smoking Cessation Options $3,000
    21. CYPRUS INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND PUBLIC HEALTH Eastern Mediterranean Health Professional Tobacco Cessation:
    Summit held in partnership with Harvard School of Public Health $40,000
    22. INDIANA PHARMACISTS ALLIANCE Tobacco Cessation Treatment and Medications $2,500
    23. NURSE PRACTITIONERS ASSOCIATION FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION Smoking Cessation: New Strategies for Treatment $12,000
    24. PHARMCON, INC. Smoking Cessation: When Pharmacists Get Involved $10,000
    25. SOUTH CAROLINA TOBACCO COLLABORATIVE Smoking Cessation Program $3,000
    26. TOBACCO FREE PARTNERS Public Health Education Program $5,000
    27. IOWA TOBACCO PREVENTION ALLIANCE Health policy education $10,000
    28. OLD NORTH STATE MEDICAL SOCIETY 2009 "Embracing the Need to Change" by Living Tobacco Free Summit $3,357
    29. TRUSTEES OF DARTMOUTH COLLEGE Curriculum on Tobacco Use and Dependence for Students and Faculty in the Health Professions $200,000
    30. UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY OF NEW JERSEY Treating Tobacco Dependence in Mental Health Settings $20,000
    31. IOWA TOBACCO PREVENTION ALLIANCE Fall Tobacco Independence Conference $7,500
    32. TOBACCO FREE KANSAS COALITION, INC. Fall Tobacco Independence Conference $5,000
    33. TOBACCO FREE MASS General Operating Support $2,500
    34. ASSOCIATION OF TOBACCO CONTROL PROFESSIONALS OF Current Concepts in Tobacco Use Treatment and Treating Tobacco Dependence in Mental Health Settings $7,930
    35. COALITION FOR A TOBACCO FREE WEST VIRGINIA Unifying for the Future: The State of Tobacco Issues in West Virginia Conference $1,000
    36. EXCELA HEALTH WESTMORELAND HOSPITAL Tobacco Dependence: More Than a Habit $1,500
    37. HARTFORD HOSPITAL Building Tobacco Free Communities: 2 Day Conference $5,000
    38. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA Tips and Tricks for Helping Patients Kick Tobacco $2,500
    39. SOUTHWEST GENERAL HEALTH CENTER Management and Treatment of Osteoporosis $3,000
    40. TOBACCO FREE MISSOURI COALITION Educational Program $5,000
    41. UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF MEDICINE Tobacco Educational Studies Program $75,000
    42. AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY, GREAT LAKES DIVISION Tobacco Control Education $5,000
    43. AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY, SOUTH ATLANTIC DIVISION Tobacco Independence and Education Program $1,000
    44. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION OF THE SOUTHEAST REGION Tobacco Independence and Prevention Outreach $2,000
    45. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION OF THE SOUTHEAST REGION Tobacco Independence and Prevention Outreach $2,500
    46. CARONDELET HEALTH NETWORK Tobacco Dependence: Helping Your Patients Kick the Habit $3,800
    47. EASTERN VIRGINIA MEDICAL SCHOOL Ob/Gyn Grand Rounds Lecture Title: Treating Tobacco Use During Pregnancy $1,750
    48. LOS ANGELES SOCIETY OF ALLERGY, ASTHMA AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY Tobacco Independence Consumer Awareness Campaign $2,000
    49. MEN'S HEALTH NETWORK Florida Tobacco Independence Symposium $5,000
    50. MISSOURI NURSES ASSOCIATION 18th Annual Coming Together in Advanced Practice Nursing Conference: Session titled, "Tobacco Dependence: More Than a Habit" $1,500
    51. TOBACCO FREE PARTNERS Public Health Education Program $5,000

Total of Smoking Cessation Programs : 1,078,660
    Last edited by mavinry4; 26-09-12 at 01:32 PM. Reason: calculations

U.S. Medical, Scientific, Patient and Civic Organizations Funding Report 2011

1. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS FOUNDATION Family Medicine Office Champions Tobacco Cessation: National Dissemination Project $150,000
    2. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION IN THE DISTRICT OF COLOMBIA State Tobacco Cessation Coverage Online Database Maintenance $50,000
    3. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION OF FLORIDA Florida Tobacco Cessation Alliance Awareness Initiatives $7500
    4. CAMPAIGN FOR TOBACCO FREE KIDS 16th Annual Youth Advocates of the Year Awards Event $50,000
    5. UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA Basic Tobacco Intervention Skills Certification for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Students/Instructor of Basic Tobacco $30,950
    Intervention Skills Certification
    6. UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY OF NEW JERSEY Treating Tobacco Dependence in Mental Health Settings $25,000
    7. YMCA OF WASHINGTON Prevention of Tobacco Initiation and Cessation Programs $1,500
    8. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS Improving Access to Tobacco Control through Physician Leadership $225,150
    9. AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY CANCER ACTION NETWORK Promoting Tobacco Tax Increase Initiative $1,000
    10. AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY, NEW ENGLAND DIVISION Tobacco Control Efforts $5,000
    11. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION 2011-2012 Tobacco Cessation Policy Initiatives $10,000
    12. COALITION FOR A TOBACCO FREE ARKANSAS Saving the Lives of Arkansans by Striking Out Tobacco Use $5,000
    13. FRIENDS OF WORLD HEART FEDERATION TRUST Tobacco Cessation and Control: At the Heart of Heart Health $115,000
    14. LAKE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT Tobacco Use Identification and Treatment in Lake County $25,200
    15. RESPIRATORY HEALTH ASSOCIATION OF METROPOLITAN CHICAGO Tobacco Cessation Policy Education Programs $2,000
    16. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL Establishing and Disseminating Model Hospital Smoking Cessation Programs: Inpatient to Outpatient Settings $175,000
    17. AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION Retention of Montana's Tobacco Prevention Efforts $2,750
    18. DARTMOUTH-HITCHCOCK MEDICAL CENTER 3rd Annual C.E. Koop Tobacco Treatment Conference: Strategies to Accelerate Progress in Tobacco Control $2,500
    19. UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON Tobacco Studies 2011-2012 $50,000
    20. VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION Non-Smoking Hokie Tobacco Use Prevention Program $40,000
    21. ACTION ON SMOKING AND HEALTH Framework Convention on Tobacco Control Monitoring Program $200,000
    22. OHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY Tobacco and Oral Health: Smoking Cessation Intervention in Dentistry $100,000
    23. MAYO CLINIC ROCHESTER Establishing an International Network and Regional Networks of Healthcare Providers to Treat Tobacco Dependence $200,000
    24. NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CORRECTIONAL HEALTH CARE Tobacco Cessation Strategies for Incarcerated Populations $16,000
    25. RIVERSIDE METHODIST HOSPITAL Taking the Lead: Breathing Association Healthcare Professional Training Center for Tobacco Cessation $100,000
    26. UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES Education Program for Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence $100,000
    27. UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY OF NEW JERSEY Comprehensive Training Model for Training Tobacco Dependence in Mental Health Settings $35,000
    28. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ALLERGY ASTHMA AND IMMUNOLOGY Update on Smoking Cessation $10,000
    29. AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION OF D.C. Increase Access to Smoking Cessation Treatments $4,000
    30. DUKE UNIVERSITY Implementing a Smoking Cessation Resident Training Program at Duke University Hospital $29,900
    31. MISSOURI PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION 2011 Kansas City Cessation Summit $3,000
    32. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL Establishing and Disseminating Model Hospital Smoking Cessation Programs: From Inpatient to Outpatient Settings $150,000
    33. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS FOUNDATION 2011 Scientific Assembly: Smoking Cessation - 4 out of 5 Doctors Recommend $11,000
    34. CAFE IOWA CAN Fundraising Concert to Benefit Smoking Cessation Efforts $1,500
    35. LOS ANGELES SOCIETY OF ALLERGY, ASTHMA AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY General Operating Support: Improve access to Smoking Cessation benefits $1,000
    36. MIDWEST BUSINESS GROUP ON HEALTH Assisting Employers in Smoking Cessation Activities $10,000
    37. SOUTH FLORIDA VETERANS AFFAIRS FND FOR RESEARCH AND ED, INC. Avatar-Mediated Simulation CME Program: Improving Primary Care Physicians' Smoking Cessation Competencies $200,000
    38. ASOCIACION PUERTORRIQUENA DEL PULMON Conduct Modification for Smoking Cessation: Training the Trainers $3,567
    39. ASSOCIATION OF CLINICIANS FOR THE UNDERSERVED General Operating Support: Web-based platform to deliver information and resources on smoking cessation to $65,000
    clinicians serving the underserved
    40. NEW JERSEY GLOBAL ADVISORS ON SMOKEFREE POLICY Smoking Cessation Policy Initiatives $2,500
    41. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES Smoking Cessation Distance Learning Program $200,000

Total of Smoking Cessation Programs : $2,416,017

PS: Don't quote the last two posts lol

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Quom View Post
    I sort of struggle with the idea from an economic stand point. The only thing that makes sense to me is if the FDA and whoever controls pharmaceuticals releasing stuff is holding up pharma companies of bringing e-cigs to the market. From my perspective all of the other quit smoking aids are just that, they are nicotine/smoking cessation aids. A person uses them, sometimes up to say three months and then comes off them. That is, they hope their only interaction with these products will be one course of treatment ever.

I mean I have never heard of someone who hasn't smoked in 6 months still walking around with a patch on their back or chewing gum. Anyone who has used these products know that they only take the slightest edge off the cravings - and I do mean slightest edge. So once the 'OMG I need a ciggy or I am going to kill someone' cravings have dissipated or at least dropped to a manageable level people will come off them.

E-cigs on the other hand have shown to have lasting power. People are happily transitioning from smoking to vaping as an ongoing concern. I can't see why you would try and destroy this really tasty market rather than sweep in and try and control the market and dominate it with your products? To me the argument seems counter-productive. Why wipe out a market you could control? Surely you would put the money into R&D, marketing and getting your product legalised, then start slagging off all the competition. I can't see any reason for them poisoning waters which would offer them the opportunity to print money.
    Quom . the license to print money bit comes about by these forms of NRT only being about 6% effective , and yet sold like they are miracles ... the buyer thinks " Oh it must just be me" when they go back on the fags ... six weeks later they try again , That and the fact that for bugger all cents per patch , they get tax breaks and advertising from the Govt , and are freely allowed to sell their product at HUGE markups !
    Vaping has the ability to undermine this Government and Health Authority backed "quitting" SCAM and they feel justifiably threatened by it ...
    Stoney and Bobthebuilder like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Wait you are claiming people will use the exact same failing product time and again?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast