Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By icarus

Thread: Ecigs and cessation: "false claims"

Ecigs and cessation: "false claims"

Ah, America.

Statement by Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights: Electronic (e)-cigarette manufacturers shamelessly promote untested product for use in "smokefree" environments; make false claims about efficacy as cessation device too - Healthcare Global

They got this right:

E-cigarette manufacturers and proponents appear to be the PR machine behind an onslaught of daily press releases that tout the benefits of e-cigarettes
    I trawl through Google News daily for stories on ecigs and the vast majority of news items are advertorials. This is in part due to Google's advertising policies that prevents merchants from using Adwords (those ads usually on the right and at the top of search engine results pages). They got clever and started using press release services as an online promotions strategy, but I'd have to agree some merchants overdo it and probably do more harm to the cause than good.

However, then this anti-smoking mob starts getting things horribly, horribly wrong:

What I find most egregious are the direct advertisements with false and misleading claims, including that e-cigarettes are effective smoking cessation devices,
    WTF?? This is something those advertorials get *right*. I don't think I'd be Robinson Crusoe in emphatically saying they are *highly* effective smoking cessation devices, in fact the *most effective* cessation device for many folks (including moi). Anyway, preaching to the choir I guess .
    Last edited by icarus; 27-09-12 at 09:48 PM.

In what appears to be a direct response to the September 12, 2012 Tobacco Free College Campus Initiative launch at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Esmokehub issued a press release titled, "Esmokehub Presents E-Cigs As Smoking Alternatives to College and University Administrators" without mentioning the research demonstrating that exhaled e-cigarette vapor contains toxic chemicals.

Someone should email them and ask them whether Pharma likes it rough or romantic.

Nice to see Dr. Siegel on the ball with this sort of thing. His qualifications go a long way to debunking this stuff.