Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mavinry4
  • 1 Post By eteach

Thread: Omaha Nebraska to start taxing Electronic Cigarettes

Omaha Nebraska to start taxing Electronic Cigarettes

While it is a little late to attend the City Hall public hearing on the matter, it is still important to know that Omaha Nebraska has proposed a 7% tax hike on electronic cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products. Omaha has decided to group e-cigarettes in with the new smokeless tobacco products, making e-cigarettes more expensive for residents of Omaha.

Read here

Probably the first e-cig tax I've heard of. How in the world do they plan to justify it?

Hope it doesn't spread. What a bullshit law this would be. Nicotine and electronic cigarettes should be regulated the same way caffeine is.
    RIDING OLD SKOOL likes this.

Super Moderator
    I think you might find this means e-cig sales will be subject to State Taxes along with smokeless tobacco ... in the states thats how they do things , State taxes on goods for sale rather than federal taxes built in to the retail ?
    I could be very wrong
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    Probably the first e-cig tax I've heard of. How in the world do they plan to justify it?
    Hope it doesn't spread. What a bullshit law this would be. Nicotine and electronic cigarettes should be regulated the same way caffeine is.
    If you spent more time researching e-cigs instead of trolling the circumcision thread you would know that Hawaii tried to levy a massive tax on e-cigs that was overturned when they were shown that people would just buy their stuff over the net from either OS or interstate vendors and avoid the state taxes completely. Seven percent is a small price to pay for legitimacy of electronic smoking products and i would think most aussie vapers would prefer to pay it if we had to, IMHO
    Fatman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eteach View Post
    If you spent more time researching e-cigs instead of trolling the circumcision thread you would know that Hawaii tried to levy a massive tax on e-cigs that was overturned when they were shown that people would just buy their stuff over the net from either OS or interstate vendors and avoid the state taxes completely. Seven percent is a small price to pay for legitimacy of electronic smoking products and i would think most aussie vapers would prefer to pay it if we had to, IMHO
    Once that 7 percent is passed though, it would begin to creep up over time.

If it was assured that the 7% was to stay at 7%, and there was justified reason, for example, to pay for quality control and regulation, then I'd probably be for it.

AVF Regular
    ... that's life and that's the closest you have come to admitting that your opinion is less than 100 % correct today, congratulations on showing signs of personal growth

I for one am grateful that mavinry4 does this e-cig research and brings it to our attention.

The other topics I can read or not.

RC

It would so easy to avoid a tax like that it would not be worth the hassle for the Australian Govt. It will be a total ban (immoral, ludicrous and impractical) or nothing. If the local retailer is large enough we already pay a 10% tax already.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    They can tax whatever they like I dont think justifying it would be a problem.

If they sold Nic in stores in QLD I wouldn't mind paying 20% markup just for convenience. Still much cheaper than smoking analogues.