Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mavinry4
  • 2 Post By valleyjohn
  • 1 Post By Thereupon
  • 2 Post By mavinry4

Thread: WHO Urges Countries to Ban Electronic Cigarettes Because of 2nd Hand Smoke

WHO Urges Countries to Ban Electronic Cigarettes Because of 2nd Hand Smoke

World Health Organization Urges Countries to Ban Electronic Cigarettes Because They Could Increase Secondhand Smoke Exposure

The World Health Organization is urging countries to ban electronic cigarettes because, it argues, their use could increase secondhand smoke exposure, as some might claim that these devices do not contain tobacco and do not produce smoke.

In a 2012 World Health Organization (WHO) report on electronic cigarettes from the Conference of Parties to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, WHO states:

"the use of ENDS could hamper the implementation of Article 8 (Protection from exposure to tobacco smoke) as ENDS users in public places may claim that their electronic cigarette does not contain tobacco and/or does not produce second-hand tobacco smoke."

Read the rest of the story here

They're running out of valid arguments. Clutching at straws much?

See http://forums.aussievapers.com/polit...ing-fable.html
    sixties likes this.

Staggering that a prestigious and important body such as the WHO appears to ignore science in favour of dogma.
    RIDING OLD SKOOL and sixties like this.

Makes you wonder if there's someone getting cash for comment ?
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    "the use of ENDS could hamper the implementation of Article 8 (Protection from exposure to tobacco smoke) as ENDS users in public places may claim that their electronic cigarette does not contain tobacco and/or does not produce second-hand tobacco smoke."
    God forbid we tell the truth about what we're doing!
    mavinry4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereupon View Post
    God forbid we tell the truth about what we're doing!
    Yeh, the whole thing stinks. I don't know how anyone could publicly speak these words with a straight face. These anti-smoking people have gone over the top now and are so cognitive dissonant that they are completely unable to see their own blatant hypocrisy.

The statement you quoted is basically translating to ; "users may actually be doing something healthy that looks like an unhealthy activity, and that could ruin our propaganda".

As someone else pointed out, it's equivalent to anti-alcoholism activists calling for the ban of drinking water in public.
    Thereupon and Vapes of Groth like this.

AVF Regular
    I'm embarrassed for the WHO. You have to wonder if they even bothered to find out what an electronic cigarette actually is.

Even if they were completely adamantly opposed to tobacco smoking but supported electronic cigarettes, I'd have an ounce of respect for them.

I might not agree with them on consumer choice regarding tobacco cigarettes, but I understand them. Tobacco smoking is a problem.

This attack on smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes however is basically what happens when you let any forms of regulatory bodies go unchecked. They take their agenda to an extreme whereby they end up doing more harm than good.

It is sad that WHO got linked in with these people. History will show it to be a stain on their record.

Quite disappointing to say the least.

AVF Regular
    I'm afraid the term electronic cigarette is coming back to bite us. Even though few vapers are even using them, the fact that they even look like tobacco cigs is threatening orgs who see it as some form of stealth smoking.

The term electronic cigarettes is merely a sales tactic used by those who were first on the scene to promote them.

The term "personal vaporizer" or "PV" should be used more, along with using the percentages (1.2%, 1.8%, 2.4% etc) when describing nicotine percentages.

Super Moderator
    I most certainly don't use electronic cigarette anymore... i much prefer to use the term personal vaporizer.