Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapes of Groth

Thread: Former ASH Director Endorses Electronic Cigarettes and THR

Former ASH Director Endorses Electronic Cigarettes and THR

Recently, ecigarettedirect interviewed the Former Action on Smoking And Health Director, Clive Bates. He discusses his view on tobacco harm reduction, nicotine, and electronic cigarettes. Bates also criticizes today's Public Health Officials, whilst endorsing the "unbiased" advice of Professors Brad Rodu, Micheal Siegel and Carl V Phillips.

It is hugely frustrating to see so many people whose job is supposedly to protect health going to work and doing exactly the opposite. Prohibitionist rhetoric and practice has never served society well in practice. The WHO Tobacco Free Initiative continues to disappoint and ignore the real-world needs of smokers. Its own advisory committee actually has quite sensible things to say on all this, but these have been ignored or quoted highly selectively in recent WHO papers (see FCTC COP5 papers 12 & 13).

However, I am still optimistic. The truth is the truth, and it will out. Social media make a powerful vector for the truth, challenging the handed-down wisdom of these authorities whilst sharing knowledge and building confidence of smokers below the radar of most health professionals. There are some great centres of unbiased advice now Ė I particularly like Brad Roduís Tobacco Truth, Mike Siegalís Rest of the story, Carl Phillipís E-Pology and Anti-THR Lies blog, and some of the forums. These are now creating a kind of pro-health insurgency against the dumb harmful orthodoxy of the big health interests
    Click here to read the full interview.

"Big Health".

That phrase should be used as much as "Big Tobacco" and "Big Pharma". Big Health have as much to profit from the banning of electronic cigarettes and nicotine liquids as Big Tobacco and Big Pharma do.

It's great to see people who used to be part of prohibitionist organisations see the light. A great article and well worth reading the full version from the site it's from.
    mavinry4 likes this.

You can read Clive Bate's Articles on his blog (they're quite extensive);

Tipp-Ex away the truth about safer alternatives to smoking

Campaigning by so-called health groups to ban much less hazardous alternatives to smoking is dangerous, unethical, lazy with facts and utterly without regard for the people they are supposedly trying to help – see my detailed post Death by regulation. But they go to a whole new level of awfulness – evil maybe – when it is done with deliberate deception and falsification. When that happens, it becomes something much darker – in fact as bad, and as deadly, as the worst excesses of tobacco industry PR. And that is what happened – they used Tipp-ex to erase inconvenient truths in a report intended to inform science based policy on alternatives to smoking.

Death by regulation: the EU ban on low-risk oral tobacco

Is it right to ban certain types of smokeless tobacco from sale in the European Union? The short and unequivocal answer is ’no’.
    But surely banning any type of tobacco can only reduce the size of the overall tobacco market and therefore be good for health? No, not at all, it just isn’t that simple… This post gives my personal take on this important public health issue.

And this is a good blog entry about Clive Bate's comments to Chris Snowden's article.

http://daveatherton.wordpress.com/20...chris-snowdon/
    Last edited by mavinry4; 08-11-12 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapes of Groth View Post
    It's great to see people who used to be part of prohibitionist organisations see the light. A great article and well worth reading the full version from the site it's from.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It shows that those people have stuck to their principles in promoting health in the public, without becoming caught up in extreme ideology.

Bill Godshall, who is now an advisor for CASAA (American version of ATACA), is a similar person who has stuck to his principles.

Link : CASAA: Statement from CASAA Advisor Bill Godshall at FDA MRTP Workshop

Hello,
    I’m Bill Godshall, founder and executive director of Smokefree Pennsylvania, a nonprofit organization that since 1990 has been advocating local, state and federal policies to reduce indoor tobacco smoke pollution, reduce tobacco marketing to youth, hold cigarette companies accountable, increase cigarette tax rates, fund tobacco education and smoking cessation services, inform smokers that all smokefree tobacco/nicotine products are far less hazardous alternatives to cigarettes, and in 2007 I convinced Senator Mike Enzi to amend the FSPTCA to require picture warnings on cigarette packs.
    For disclosure, neither Smokefree Pennsylvania nor I have ever received any direct or indirect funding from any tobacco, drug or electronic cigarette company or trade association.
    It is important to recognize that Section 911 and other provisions of Chapter IX of the FSPTCA only apply to: cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, RYO tobacco and smokeless tobacco products. Although the FDA has stated that it intends to propose a regulation to apply Chapter IX to all currently unregulated tobacco products, Section 911 does not apply to small cigars, large cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah/shisha tobacco, electronic cigarettes, e-liquid, tobacco skin cream, tobacco water and at least two dissolvable tobacco products....
    His experience at Vapefest 2010 : http://smokles.wordpress.com/2010/03...vapefest-2010/

A Great read.

"As one who experiences severe headaches, sneezing, watery eyes and other sinus problems from exposure to very little secondhand tobacco smoke (a key reason I’ve been an outspoken smokefree indoor policy/law activist since 1986), I’m delighted and relieved to report that I experienced NO adverse reactions during or after my mega exposure to e-cigarette vapor."
    Last edited by mavinry4; 08-11-12 at 02:04 AM.