Thumbs up Lowes (American Hardware Chain) ecig ban

Stole this from VF for discussion..
    Not sure where this goes. So I posted it here.
    This was posted on ECF. I confirmed it with my local Lowe's store manager. It is legit

Lowe"s bans the use of e-cigs on it's property

Lowe's Home Improvement has updated it's no smoking policy to now include E-cigs.

Policy Number 415:

Lowe's desires to support the public health and safety of it's employees and customers. In order to promote and provide a healthy and safe work environment, Lowe's bans the use of tobacco products and simulated smoking products( e.g. e-cigarettes) at customer support center locations, regional offices or store building or at outside break areas, docks, parking lots and any other area on Lowe's property.

All employees, visitors, customers and other personnel are responsible for adhering to this policy.
    Ridiculous really, I am not sure whether that may even be a stricter ban than normal smoking .. is smoking in car parks usually banned ?
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Stole this from VF for discussion..

Ridiculous really, I am not sure whether that may even be a stricter ban than normal smoking .. is smoking in car parks usually banned ?
    If it is jump in your car that your own property LOL

Provari with 510-T Red, Blue & Green

There was a mention in the same thread of people dangerously smoking in the deep snow next to the road as they where not allowed to smoke in their cars in the car park or anywhere else on company property. I am not sure if thats a normal rule over there or a particularly anal company. Sounds insane to me.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

The car park would be their property, but if a customer lit up a smoke on the way from their car while walking to the entrance then they would be asked to leave?

A quick search points to around 20% of Americans being smokers, and I think it would be a fair assumption that they might be finishing a smoke in the car park on the way to the entrance. Possibly higher than the average would be going to a hardware store (nothing but conjecture to back this up) in the first place.
    Denying 20%+ of your customer base from spending their money in your store...... Yup, that's a sound business decision.

Sounds almost as over the top (IMHO) as the smoking ban in the Queen street mall a few years ago. I've never gone there since that rule came into place.

I can only guess that ecigs were tacked on there after a few "hurr, **** you! It's not smoke ********. I do what I want!" incidents in the store itself.

AVF Regular
    hi Lothar- insane isnt it..
    BTW a few years ago those nosmoking signs went up (I heard that the anti smoking nazis went and took it on themselves to buy the signs from the cheap shop and then plastered them everywhere)
    Mayor Can Do Campbell told them to remove them and they did-dont know if there is still a ban but people smoke there all the time.

The anti smoking thing in the US is strange. I heard of a case where some officials showed up at a womans home and told her she was fired because she was a smoker.. she told them she didnt smoke at work and she didnt even take her cigs to work with her but they said we have a no smoking policy in this company your'e still fired-
    perhaps the firm was required to make their entire premises "smoke free" or some such rubbish as part of their insurance, or maybe it was just the usual hysteria about smoking whipped up by those who love to have someone to hate- (smokers for instance)... every one knows that smokers are evil vile people who probably eat their young - the Government keeps telling us..

Funny how people are out there boozing themselves to death but nothing's ever said.

a lot of US companys provide the health care for the workers .. and its not cheap.
    Having a 100% smoke free employee base is likely a lot cheaper to insure than an almost 100% smoke free base.

AVF Regular
    Well, if that's their attitude, I simply wont shop there! =P

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    Well, if that's their attitude, I simply wont shop there! =P
    Me neither so there!
    hehhe

It's a policy, not a law. They can't enforce it if there isn't any legality backing it. The only thing they could do is ask you to kindly leave.