Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: FDA to have Hearing on Nicotine Products - 17th December

On the concept of Cravings

One particular annoyance, a fundamental anti-THR lie that FDA was dealing with (though not their own fault, except perhaps historically) was the concept of “cravings”. This shows up in claims like, “NRT products are designed to reduce smokers’ cravings for nicotine.” What is interesting about this concept is that in a better world, it would be spot-on and potentially useful. That is, the common language meaning of the word does have relevance and particular usefulness: It could be that someone genuinely would prefer to be abstinent from tobacco and nicotine, but keeps coming back because of some short-term urge that is different from a genuine preference. The word is not well-defined, but you could see how it could be wrapped up with withdrawal symptoms rather than what we would call benefits of using the products. In that case, offering a drug that eliminates that craving would have obvious value.

read the whole article here

They should do lots of investigations rather than ban it directly, for sure it's safer than the normal cigarettes.

They're trying to get the NRT makers off the FDA committee for obvious reasons.

US District Court Judge, Richard Leon, has allowed a lawsuit seeking an injunction by R.J. Reynolds and Lorillard Tobacco to proceed against the Food and Drug Administration’s Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee (TPSAC), according to a Heartland Institute report.

The lawsuit alleges a conflict of interest on the scientific panel.

FDA officials asked JudgeLeonto deny the request but the judge rebuffed their claim, noting in his ruling: “the limited number of viewpoints on these issues”, “the scientific as opposed to the political nature of those viewpoints, and the distinct responsibilities of the committee.”

Lawsuit to probe membership of FDA

Super Moderator
    judge leon rocks.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Super Moderator
    About time some does something semi-sensible!

Thankyou very much Vapers Nightly News

I really liked Lou Ritter's talk. I didn't know the USA had AEMSA (american eliquid manufacturing standards association)
    Lou was an excellent speaker ( and i was so glad he talked about Dr farsalinos and his positive research )

I am off to google AEMSA now and see what they are about

Thank you again for links

Cheers
    margyb

Last edited by margyb; 09-01-13 at 11:53 PM. Reason: needed a glitter graphic

Link to AEMSA standards (positive stuff and shows self regulation)

http://www.aemsa.org/wp-content/uplo...ersion-1-7.pdf

And quote from Kurt the chemist about the formation of AEMSA ( american eliquid manufacturing standards association )
    Kurt was the one who picked up on all the Box Elder nicotine discrepancies and challenged Box Elder

QUOTES | AEMSA

“This technology has considerable Tobacco Harm Reduction (and risk reducing) potential for millions of smokers all around the world. Yet, while customer demands for more advanced electronics in devices seem to be answered every day, consumer demands for high quality control standards and transparency in the manufacturing of e-liquids have been largely ignored. This has forced many in the vaping community to try their hand at becoming reluctant chemists in order to have more confidence about the e-liquid products they consume. It has also opened us up to attacks by government and media. No more. As a professional chemist and avid vaper, I am proud and humbled to be working with the brave charter member manufacturers and organizers of AEMSA. They represent what this industry can and should be: rigorous, meticulous professionals striving to meet scientific standards that have been needed for a long time, for the benefit of all involved. I strongly urge more manufacturers to join AEMSA. I believe this is the future of vaping, and this is how we will keep that future.”
    Kurt Kistler, PhD aka Kurt on ECF
    AEMSA – Subject Matter Expert

FDA Will Issue Proposed Regulations for Electronic Cigarettes in April

According to a Troutman Sanders article, the Obama administration has announced that the FDA will issue proposed regulations for electronic cigarettes (as well as cigars, pipe tobacco, and other tobacco products) this April. While the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act created a regulatory framework for cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, it did not establish provisions for other types of tobacco products. The FDA intends to fill this gap by issuing regulations for these other products.

The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: FDA Will Issue Proposed Regulations for Electronic Cigarettes in April

Professor Siegel's lists several issues that he will be closely watching, as well as a list of recommendations, which as far as I can see, are quite reasonable.

I wonder if these regulations and maybe taxes will only apply to US residents?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast