Letter to my state MP

I'm lucky enough (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) to have a good working relationship with my local member for state parliament, so I've sent off the following email to him in hope of having some sway in the importing of nicotine

I am a smoker who has no intentions to quit - the only encouragement for me and many others to quit is financial and health related, and that often surpasses the benefits that we smokers enjoy from nicotine, just like many enjoy from caffeine. I am writing to urge your support on a matter of health that has taken debate recently - the use of electronic cigarettes.

There have been a number of research initiatives into the health implications of the use of electronic cigarettes, and when they stick to its original purpose (as a smoking alternative, not a quit smoking aid) they all come up positive. There are one thousand times less carcinogens in the vapour created by electronic cigarettes when compared to regular or "analogue" cigarettes. This healthy alternative is currently in legal limbo, with legislators having trouble distinguishing between the use of nicotine as a smoking product, and its other classification as a poison. As such, retailers are currently unable to sell the fluid for these devices containing nicotine, so the health and social benefits of reducing smoking are not able to be actualised. Users of electronic cigarettes or "vapers" currently import the fluid from other countries, as it is not prohibited to import the substance for personal use.

New South Wales needs to pave the way for other states - allowing the sale and importation of nicotine fluids will increase the health of our community, reduce the risk of second hand smoking on young children, and increase tax revenues with the addition of a new market.

I urge you to consider the many health and financial benefits that come from allowing the sale of nicotine fluids and encouraging this new industry. If you would like any further information on electronic cigarettes or the health implications, please don't hesitate to contact me.

AVF Regular
    Sent or draft copy?

Just fixed up some mistakes and sent it off then :3

Can you let us know who your local MP is?

Also, do you mind if I copy both your original letter, and hopefully the response, on SMOKESCREEN?

AVF Regular
    ummmm.... ok lol

i would have made a few changes is all...

Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    Can you let us know who your local MP is?

Also, do you mind if I copy both your original letter, and hopefully the response, on SMOKESCREEN?
    Local MP is Paul Toole from the seat of Bathurst, and yeah that's fine

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Local MP is Paul Toole from the seat of Bathurst, and yeah that's fine
    Thanks. If you the letter here (http://smokescreen.neogotham.net/1/p...hurst-nsw.html) and look forward to hopefully getting a meaningful response.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    Very good Letter Bass Junkie.
    will be interesting to know what sort of reply you get. Good on you.