Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: This is who we're fighting: Meet the people trying to kill us.

AVF Regular

This is who we're fighting: Meet the people trying to kill us.

I was cruising around the reddits and found this New York Moves Towards Total E-Cigarette Ban
    Please run adblock and no script on this page, I hate giving them click-throughs, so here is a copy pasta of the self-promoting drivel.
    Not only is this poorly written, it's also a disgusting, gloating, masturbatory, and mocking piece of propaganda. It's a glimpse at what is wrong with activism.

New York Moves Towards Total E-Cigarette Ban // Unanimous 125-0 Vote Follows Email From ASH

The New York State Assembly has voted overwhelmingly 125-0 to ban e-cigarettes [e-cigs]; a product which has already been banned in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Mexico, and New Zealand, restricted in Finland, Malaysia, and Singapore, pending restriction in the UK as a drug, and the subject of law suits by attorneys general in several states, says public interest law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).

The decision followed an email sent by Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) to New York's legislators seeking to correct misinformation they apparently received from marketers and others. ASH previously helped persuade New Jersey and Suffolk County, NY, to ban the use of e-cigarettes in no-smoking sections.

ASH's email noted that the FDA, the only agency both authorized and qualified to evaluate whether e-cigs are both safe and effective, has reported that e-cig use poses "acute health risks," that "the dangers posed by their toxic chemicals . . . cannot seriously be questioned," and that e-cigs have caused a wide variety of potentially serious problems "including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, diarrhea, and sore throat." It ruled they are "illegal."

Virtually all of the major national and well-respected medical and antismoking organizations have also voiced strong concerns about the risks posed by e-cigarettes, and urged restrictions on their sales. These include the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights, and the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence.

ASH also pointed out that the FDA, in its own words, "is concerned that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes may introduce young people to nicotine use which may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences. Additionally, it is unclear what health effects these products could have on users or if misuse or product failure could lead to nicotine poisoning or other serious adverse health consequences."

The FDA also warned that "conference participants stressed the importance of parents being aware of the health and marketing concerns associated with e-cigarettes. It was stated that parents may want to tell their children and teenagers that these products are not safe to use. . . . Of particular concern to parents is that e-cigarettes are sold without any legal age restrictions, and are available in different flavors (such as chocolate, strawberry and mint) which may appeal to young people. . . . In addition, the devices do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes."

Although some users claim that the products helped them to quit smoking, ASH countered by citing the FDA's own findings: "at this time, we are not aware of any data establishing electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes as generally recognized among scientific experts as safe and effective. . . . There may be a perception among some users that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes are safer alternatives to conventional tobacco products. There may also be a perception that these products are a safe and effective means to quit smoking conventional forms of tobacco. However, FDA is not aware of any scientific data to support those perceptions."

Michael Eriksen, ScD, the former director of CDC's Office of Smoking and Health and an FDA adviser warned: "I have seen no evidence that people switch from tobacco cigarettes to e-cigarettes or other smokeless tobacco products. If you look at how smokeless products are marketed, they are sold as something to use at times you can't smoke. The implication is you will increase nicotine exposure, not reduce smoking."

ASH also raised concerns not yet addressed by the FDA: the extent to which the vapor exhaled by e-cig users -- including propylene glycol (a respiratory irritant used in antifreeze and known to cause respiratory tract infections), nicotine (a deadly and addictive drug which can help trigger heart attacks), and other substances the FDA labels as "carcinogens" and "toxins" -- could threaten the health of nearby nonsmokers.

ASH cited a typical reaction from a sensitive bystander: "My first exposure to e-cigarettes was last year in a hospital. Smokers were made to go outside but 3 e-smokers plus 2 staff were using the e-cigarettes inside . . . I have lupus and the vapor irritated my nose, eyes, throat, and chest, plus the nicotine was making me feel nauseous so there must have been significant quantities in the side-vapor."

ASH, America's first antismoking organization, and the one which started the nonsmokers' rights movement by first getting smoking restricted and ultimately banned on airplanes and in many public places, believes that nonsmokers should not be subjected to the vapors emitted by e-cig users unless and until they have conclusively been shown to be completely safe, even to children, the elderly, those at increased risk, and those with special medical problems.

Public interest law professor John Banzhaf of ASH, argues that there is no possible justification for subjecting the great majority of Americans who are nonsmokers to the totally unnecessary risks posed by a mixture of toxins and carcinogens. Even if e-cigarettes did help some smokers quit -- which the FDA denies -- "it's your monkey, keep him off my back."

PROFESSOR JOHN F. BANZHAF III
    Professor of Public Interest Law at GWU,
    FAMRI Dr. William Cahan Distinguished Professor,
    FELLOW, World Technology Network, and
    Executive Director and Chief Counsel
    Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
    America's First Antismoking Organization
    2013 H Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20006, USA
    (202) 659-4310 // (703) 527-8418
    ash.org/
    Last edited by Rynxa; 16-01-13 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Edit for facts
    shipo, mathsguy and mavinry4 like this.

I can't find even an inkling of truth in that whole article...What a pile of bescumber.
    Mushman and davee like this.

AVF Regular
    Stock up on as much juice and mods as u can now!

Mehhh I'm sending this mob an e-mail, I'd like them to give me direct information on where they sourced their so called scientific data and proof that it exists..When they can't produce it I'll give them the correct links and details.
    Mushman and davee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    potentially serious problems "including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, diarrhea, and sore throat.
    hmm okay if those were serious problems what would they rate cancer. im sure cigs will cause sore throat and coughing too
    Roxxiiangel likes this.

New York is like this. It is one of the most ridiculously over-regulated states in America. The entire country is constantly disgusted with this kind of crap from New York. They recently passed a law in New York City banning the sale of any beverage over 16oz. I'm serious. I saw this this morning, and all last week there were articles coming out about this. New York is in a binge of regulating right now.

As scary as this is, the United States as a whole is NOT moving this direction. New York is just insane.

This is extremely disgusting...

as long as they're still allowed to be used, it's ok for now... just cant vape in non-smoking areas.

They're just pandering to the current hysteria. But it is disgusting that ASH would lie like this.

edit: am I reading this right? Have they COMPLETELY BANNED IT?
    Last edited by mavinry4; 16-01-13 at 02:54 PM.

Bugger it I just e-mailed the following,not that I expect an answer.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have just perused this article and was concerned as to exactly where you have obtained your misinformed scientific results from? Could you please forward me the research details as I’m afraid I can’t find any evidence of it’s truth or existence? I have read many interesting articles which actually give genuine results, perhaps you might take a moment to read an interview with Dr Murray Laugesen of Health New Zealand Murray Laugesen: E Cigarette Interview : E Cigarette Direct
    I’ve also read that ASH in the UK are actually condoning the use of Electronic cigarettes, how can this be possible when you are claiming " ASH's email noted that the FDA, the only agency both authorized and qualified to evaluate whether e-cigs are both safe and effective, has reported that e-cig use poses "acute health risks," that "the dangers posed by their toxic chemicals . . . cannot seriously be questioned," and that e-cigs have caused a wide variety of potentially serious problems "including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, diarrhea, and sore throat." It ruled they are "illegal." "
    This is all very confusing indeed, I look forward to your response.
    Kind Regards
    Noe, Mushman, keyboardmama and 1 others like this.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I was researching this because I have a lot of friends who live in New York, and I figured I would have heard about this. I looked it up and, apparently, this was a decision that passed in 2006 but was overturned by a federal judge almost immediately. E-cigs have NOT been banned in New York.

edited to add: yet.

edited again to add: and they're still nutters in New York. The lot of them.
    Last edited by MrsNix; 16-01-13 at 04:10 PM.
    shipo, Mushman and gtadmin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsNix View Post
    IMPORTANT UPDATE: I was researching this because I have a lot of friends who live in New York, and I figured I would have heard about this. I looked it up and, apparently, this was a decision that passed in 2006 but was overturned by a federal judge almost immediately. E-cigs have NOT been banned in New York.

edited to add: yet.

edited again to add: and they're still nutters in New York. The lot of them.
    Shit...Ahh well too late the e-mail has gone
    Mushman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast