Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Organisations Contacted

Thought I'd update everybody on how I went trying to contact MP's and Senators to find out their current stance of the issue of electronic cigarettes. Below is a copy-paste from the "soon to be ready" new SMOKESCREEN site:
    -----

As of today, the following “responses” (and I use that term lightly) have been received:

Attorney-General – The Hon Robert McClelland MP: Acknowledgement of email, no response
    Hon Julie Bishop MP – Response from her office to acknowledge email but no direct reply despite a follow up email.
    Marion Blair MP – Refered the issue to Senator Rachel Siewert, but did not directly answer our questions.
    Andrew Robb MP – Generic response email informing us that we are most likely not going to get a response.

We also received “Out of Office” replies from the following members, but again, no actual responses:

Catherine King MP
    Janelle Saffin MP
    Nicola Roxon MP (who has also been emailed directly before and mailed both directly and via my local MP with no response)
    Robert Katter MP (the automatic message says that contact from outside his electorate will not be responsed to)

That’s 8 generic replies with no actual answers from 115 emails. It’s good to see those elected to represent us are doing such a good job…

Have you sent one to Senator Nick Xenophon?

He has always seemed to me to have his head screwed on and when he sees an injustice he really tries his best to do the right thing and bring change. I'd say if he sees our plight he would be active in both government and media.

I don't know but out of all those in government Senator Xenophon has always seemed to me to be the one to fight for the rights of the people even if it's not a popular government position. I'm not sure what he could do for our cause, but if he believed there is an injustice here he would do all he can to right it.

Cheers

I did indeed. Again, no response yet. Maybe a personal letter might do better. Add it to the TO DO list.

I also added it to the GetUp list of campaign ideas. You can vote for it here:
    http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/6...q?ref=comments

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    I did indeed. Again, no response yet. Maybe a personal letter might do better. Add it to the TO DO list.

I also added it to the GetUp list of campaign ideas. You can vote for it here:
    http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/6...q?ref=comments
    I wouldnt get my hopes up about the human rightsy crowd. I suspect they are more infested with Green/ tree hugging enviromental do gooding organic eating Save the Planet sort of folk.. Although if you tell them it means the demise of matches and lighters and butts and will prevent bushfires they might be interested.
    How about Senator Corey Bernardi?

Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    I wouldnt get my hopes up about the human rightsy crowd. I suspect they are more infested with Green/ tree hugging enviromental do gooding organic eating Save the Planet sort of folk.. Although if you tell them it means the demise of matches and lighters and butts and will prevent bushfires they might be interested.
    How about Senator Corey Bernardi?
    Tell them it will reduce Australia's carbon footprint, instant win with the greenies.
    RIDING OLD SKOOL likes this.

Over the past 24 hours I've received "responses" from Anthony Byrne MP (Federal Member for Holt) and Julie Owens (Federal Member for Parramatta). As expected, they are the stock standard acknowledgements of receipt of email without actually answering or addressing any of the content of said email!

This trend is becoming is bleedly obvious I've just posted "Why can’t MPs think for themselves?" on SMOKESCREEN.

The 4 points I've raised are:
    1.Most of our representatives would rather ignore questions from the public than answer then.
    2.If you don’t actually vote for them, they don’t care about you.
    3.They all insist on providing a written response rather than replying to an email via email. This makes any sort of real discourse practically impossible.
    4.They can’t (or won’t) think for themselves. When asked to answer a direct question themselves, they will still refer it to the relevant minister.

I've mentioned this before, but my next step is to provide an ASH/CAASA style info sheet which we can then all use to contact our local MP's. Stay tuned
    mobtek and RIDING OLD SKOOL like this.

Sik
    I'm having much the same reponses... or lack thereof.

Getting out of office responses, being passed around or ignored. Aside from the correspondence i have already posted + 1 positive lead who unfortunately went overseas for 3 weeks after initial contact
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

As many of you are already aware, it seems that MP's and Senators have no interest in listening to issues raised by individuals outside of their own area. With this in mind I figured I'd try (again) with my local MP and see what happens. Below is the email I have sent through to the office of Alan Griffin (Member fo Bruce).
    ----

Good evening Mr Griffin,

As you may recall I have written to you previously regarding the issue of Tobacco Harm Reduction in Australia. I was originally interested in this issue due to the proposed Plain Packagaing Legislation as well as a desire to quit smoking myself.

I have since learnt an incredible amount about electronic cigarettes and the anecdotal evidence of them being far more successful as a cessation aid than currently recognised methods. So much so that I have started my own educational blog on the subject at http://smokescreen.info

I have always been proud to live in Victoria believing that we are "a smart state" with the potential to be a world leader in many areas of science. New Zealand is already leading the charge on both the research and discussion on this issue and I have been trying to get a conversation started with Australia policitians.

Unfortunately I have as yet received no responses from Health officials or anti-smoking groups such as The Cancer Council or QUIT and have discovered that MPs and Senators do not seem interested in any issues raised by those outside of their own areas.

Which is why I contact you again.

Our premier Mr Ted Baillieu seems to be an exceptional individual when it comes to logic over political correctness and I hope that he could see past the "spin" coming from many organisations and see just how useful such a tobacco alternative would be to the health of all Australians.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you and I look forward to your response.

what law are being used to justify the seizures...
    I fear that we'll wake up one morning and those laws will be passed, just like a politician's pay rise in the middle of the night.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    I have a reply from Nicola Roxon MP Minister for Health and Ageing

Typical intro

The government has strong concerns with the retail sale of nicotine for recreational use, including electronic cigarette. The marketing of electronic cigarettes has been problematic and at times misleading, with entrepreneurs promoting the products as being safe. The international evidence base on the specific adverse health effect of nicotine in recreational products continues to grow. The harms associated with nicotine can include increased blood pressure, contraction of blood vessels: cardivascular disease: impaired wound healing, neuro-behavioural damage to developing brain and stimulated growth of existing cancers.

Electronic cigarettes and electronic delivery systems (ENDS) are promoted as a recreational alternative to smoking, or a therapy for withdrawing from tobacco smoking, otherwise known as nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). ENDS should not be confused with actual NRT. NRT is fully evaluated form of pharmacotherapy and aids smoking cessation by providing controlled doses of nicotine to enable gradual withdrawal and reduce dependance on nicotine. These forms of therapy are accomanied by guidance on doing, use and side effects. Such guidance is important because nicotine is a potent drug, and its health effects are related to dosage and patterns of use.

Nicotine is a heavily regulated substance and is considered to be a dangerous poision.The availability of tobacco for recreational use of nicotine, for examply smoking is carefully controlled through state and territory legislation. Where nicotine is used for therapy, for examply patchesto help with the cessation of smoking, these goods are regulated by the therapeudic goods administration. Electronic cigarettes have not undergone the testing and evaluation required of medicines endorsed by the Australian government.

Although electronic cigarettes cannot be retailed in Australia some jurisdictions do allow individuals to import these products for personal use. However You should contact NSW Health to ensure it is within the law to do so. The Australian government supports the state and territory governments prohibition on the sale of electronic cigarettes.

Yours Sincerly

Nicola Roxon

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast