Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bronco

Thread: Study finds that Electronic Cigarettes DO NOT appeal to Kids

Study finds that Electronic Cigarettes DO NOT appeal to Kids

Prof Siegel analyses two newly published articles in which they surveyed adolescent males and assessed awareness, willingness to use, and actual use of electronic cigarettes. The study found that out of 228 adolescent males, two-thirds of them were aware of electronic cigarettes, but only two had ever tried them.

"This is a striking finding. Adolescents are widely aware of these products, but they are not using them. And they are not even experimenting with them. Clearly, this is a product which is not particularly appealing to adolescents...

.... which puts to bed the contention of many anti-smoking groups and advocates that electronic cigarettes appeal heavily to youths and serve as a gateway to nicotine addiction."
    The problem however is that this study tried to twist the facts around in their conclusions to make their data sound alarming.

For example, Siegel writes ;

The first sentence of the paper's discussion reads as follows: "Although few adolescent males in our national sample had tried e-cigarettes, around two-thirds were aware of them." This is an odd way to summarize the results.

I would have stated it in exactly the opposite way: "Although two-thirds of the adolescent males in our national sample were aware of electronic cigarettes, only two had ever tried them."
    This is a really good read about how Public Health researchers are deceitfully attempting to influence public policy against electronic cigarettes even when their own data suggests the opposite.

Link : New Study on Electronic Cigarette Use Among Youth Fails to Find a Single Nonsmoking Youth Who Has Even Tried an Electronic Cigarette

AVF Regular
    at the end of the day those of us who started smoking started because of peer pressure/looked cool/gave us a sense of belonging to other people who smoked. i think the main reason why kids will not switch to ecigs is cause of the reason why they started on normal cigs. nobody would ever start on an ecig exclusively. its a bit redundant. all of us who do use ecigs are using it cause we're absolutely sick and tired of the bullshit involved in normal cigarettes, not cause its another cool fad to go into. the exploration and innovation we have come to love about ecigs was discovered later on.
    Vapes of Groth likes this.

Who can blame the kids? They want a stab at contracting cancer first, nothing like living on the edge!!!

And seriously, we all must admit we looked a hell of a lot cooler smoking.........

AVF Regular
    haha, as a kid yes. when i started smoking at 15, if i saw another kid with the ecig the last thought on my mind wouldve been "holy shit thats cool, i gotta switch to that!"

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Another thing to consider is the "rebellious factor". Teenagers, quite often, want to rebel, taking up vaping isn't exactly rebellious but smoking certainly is.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

i guess we just aren't cool at all
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

To quote from the article that was linked ;

"Most adolescents are willing to try anything. This finding means nothing."

:-P

Does this mean I am no longer cool?

Well, who cares anyway, my health is more important (now)