Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: A Slew of Negative E-cig News articles

A Slew of Negative E-cig News articles

The past week has seen a mudslide of online news articles from around the world attacking electronic cigarettes.

The Gothamist tried to alarm the public about the garbage pollution that discarded ecigs will cause. In another article, a Detroit Lakes Doctor criticizes the use of nicotine in e-cigs to treat smoking cessation, only to then recommend nicotine patches and gum. In a Canadian article, an abstience-only doctor perpetuated the age old scare about anti-freeze in the ejuice, a blatant lie that has been over and over again explained to be utter bullocks. Cyprus plans to inlcude ecig use into their smoke-free policies, and Russia is getting ready to ban anything that looks like cigarettes, including 510 batteries (but of course, not real cigarettes). In Taiwan, Malaysia and the Phillipines, health ministers are pushing the scare about electronic cigarettes, encouraging bans, with a lot of their reasoning sounding very much like the lies and misinformation that was presented at the W.H.O FCTC COP5 back in November last year. Australian anti-ecig and pro-coldturkeyonly activist Simon Chapman perpetuated Stanton Glantz's myths that ecigs will be used dually with tobacco smoking, act as a gateway for children to start smoking, and prevent people from quitting (nicotine), which seems likely to be the basic premise that they will be rolling with in 2013, as noted in an interview on publichealthnewswire. And today, the DailyMail perpetuated the hysteria, publishing a very irresponsible and dangerous article on ecigs riddled with misinformation, and quoting a doctor who thinks they can cause respitartory damage, a claim that has no evidence, to back it up whatsoever.

So many negative reports on the internet given by people who either 1) have no idea what they are talking about, 2) clearly have an ulterior agenda and are blinded by their prohibitionist abstinence-only ideology, or 3) Are being funded by direct competitors of the elctronic cigarette industry, that is, the Pharmecuetical companies that produce Nicotine patches, gum, lozenges and anti-nicotine therapies.

How does an industry combat such a spread of misinformation? How does it defend itself when this minformation is taken as truth by lawmakers who will seek to enact laws that will essentially prevent people from switching to e-cigs, and continue to smoke tobacco?

To give you a clue to this answer, three of my brothers, and two sister in-laws have now asked me to purchase them an eGo Twist. Obviously, I said no to all of them. I told them I'll come over this week and help them set up a Vendor account, so they they purchase their items and ejuices themselves (I want them to be independent and self sufficent vapers). My other brother who has been loving his eGo-twist for 3 weeks, wants me to teach him how to mix juices - he loves the fluffiness that the extra VG gives to his Dekang. I'm going to try to get him onto Aussie vendor juice if this works out.

Numbers count.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 27-01-13 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    wood duck, margyb, Old Dog and 7 others like this.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    I just don't understand why they are so against them, honestly even if they arnt 100% safe they are around 4000 chemicals safer than real cigs, and real cigs are still being sold, so why can't we have our safer ones?
    JudeaB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxiiangel View Post
    I just don't understand why they are so against them, honestly even if they arnt 100% safe they are around 4000 chemicals safer than real cigs, and real cigs are still being sold, so why can't we have our safer ones?
    Money and Ideology. That basically sums it all up really. If they're not scared of losing profits or trying to self-preserve their Government-grant funded comfy job in a prestige university, then they have some moral hangup about being dependent on a substance.

Either way, the Public's health is not what drives the attacks on electronic cigarettes.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    We live in a world where morons rule & sheeple follow.
    Anyone that has half an idea is shit canned immediately for not towing the line.
    The truth is not what is a fact but what is believed by the vast majority to be the real story, which is told to them by morons, who are paid to support some other moron's agenda.

E-cigs will only get the support they deserve, when someone is making enough profit from that support.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Its all about money and economics.... Right now I think most or not all the cheap ecigs and ejuice come from China.... They can afford to have slave labour to produce massive amount of ecig device and juices. So all the monies are going to China...

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Oh & e-cigs are always going to face an uphill battle to gain market share in Asia & other 3rd world countries, because it is still cheaper to buy a pack of 20 per day than it is to buy a starter kit & most 3rd world smokers honestly don't have any money left over to put some aside for a kit even if it meant saving for months.
    The savings they would get from using e-cigs wouldn't be that great either, so in most cases it isn't economically worthwhile for them.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Sounds like the heat is on. They are just trying to protect the Empire. Wait till the rebellion here's about this
    wood duck, tetsky, Old Dog and 2 others like this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

AVF Regular
    Pinoyvapersforum on Facebook its a massive community back home, its not cheap to vape there yet everyday a new shop are popping up.

Because they don't care if you die from one of the many deaths that tobacco users tend to drop from. They only care that you keep putting all your money into the current system until you do.

And THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why people absolutely MUST participate in the selection and oversight of their respective governments. Don't let this shit go without speaking up. "Do not go softly into that good night. Rage, RAGE against the dying of the light."

Ignorance is a powerful opiate. You have to teach; you have to persist; and you have to insist on your right to save yourself and live as you see fit.
    Last edited by MrsNix; 27-01-13 at 01:02 PM.

AVF Regular
    That makes us dangerous revolutionaries,,,cool,
    Old Dog and MrsNix like this.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast