Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Chronic Idiopathic Neutrophilia Relieved via use of E-cigs

Sure, it's poorly worded and reads like loaded propaganda, but most people won't even get past the conclusion;
    "Smoking cessation with the use of electronic cigarette led to reversal of chronic idiopathic neutrophilia. The daily use of electronic cigarette may help preserve the beneficial effects of smoking cessation."

That sentence, (and the other references of the same kind), is lending credence to the mindset of "using e-cigs is not the same as smoking and should not be regarded as such" because it was the NRT of choice for this person. It's a legitimisation of e-cigs as an NRT and every little bit helps, (regardless of whether it's written like a propaganda piece or not).

Quote Originally Posted by sperex View Post
    Sure, it's poorly worded and reads like loaded propaganda, but most people won't even get past the conclusion;
    "Smoking cessation with the use of electronic cigarette led to reversal of chronic idiopathic neutrophilia. The daily use of electronic cigarette may help preserve the beneficial effects of smoking cessation."

That sentence, (and the other references of the same kind), is lending credence to the mindset of "using e-cigs is not the same as smoking and should not be regarded as such" because it was the NRT of choice for this person. It's a legitimisation of e-cigs as an NRT and every little bit helps, (regardless of whether it's written like a propaganda piece or not).
    I'm not as concerned about the General Public reading this as I am interested that Doctors will take note of it.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 29-01-13 at 01:47 AM.

So is vaping an NRT? Because I'm sitting here wondering why people want things both ways. The FDA gets involved and wants to look at regulating e-cigs, suddenly vaping isn't an NRT. Someone cites vaping in a case study, now it's an NRT again?

I know the recent involvement of the FDA wants to regulate vaping under tobacco laws, which is a bit weird because we're not actually using tobacco directly. I mean, we are using nicotine that has been extracted from tobacco, but there is the 0nic vaping to consider, where does that fall? This entire situation is a mess. I just would like to see clarity and unity on some things.

I know vaping needs to be pushed as an "alternative" to smoking, not as an NRT. But the argument gets muddy again from there on out.
    Last edited by Rynxa; 29-01-13 at 07:47 AM.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Well, it is an alternative recreational nicotine delivery system. Just like beer is an alternative recreational alcohol delivery system compared to vodka. But the current situation with vaping vs smoking is like legalising poisonous Asian home brew with contamination while making beer illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    So is vaping an NRT? Because I'm sitting here wondering why people want things both ways.
    If the issue was only about how the Government should regulate electronic cigarette advertisement, then I'd be less interested in this. But it isn't. Its far more sinister with certain groups of people wanting to completely destroy the electronic cigarette industry.

We don't want it both ways. There is not "two ways" of looking at this issue. There are many.

Stan Glantz, one of the guys who wants to destroy the electronic cigarette industry, is pushing the false idea that there are only "two ways" of looking at this issue. It is a false dichomety founded on a lie.

He knows if ecigs become regulated as tobacco products, the industry will die - no more internet sales, no more advertisement whatsoever, no more ejuice, no more flavourings, and no vaping almost anywhere, even in the parking lot of beaches.

He knows if ecigs become regulated as medical products, the industry will die - no more fancy mods - they will all have to look like white medical tampons, the kind of uncreative things that Pharma would think of, no more ejuice, (medical products are not DIY products), no more fancy flavours and prices will be extremely high. You will most likely require a doctors certification to purchase one.

Either way, the industry dies, and the only people who profit are the tobacco and pharmeceutical companies.

But electronic cigarette companies are not making therapeutic claims anyhow.

[The behaviour of] Vaping is simply a safe nicotine delievery system. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't need to be marketed as a smoking cessation aid. People will come to that conclusion themselves. As I mentioned, if the issue was only about how the Government should regulate electronic cigarette advertisement, in terms of what ecig companies are allwed to claim, then I'd be less interested in this. But it isn't.

Electronic cigarettes and their associated liquids and accessories should just be left a lone in terms of sales (not marketing) regulation (personally I want more with nicotine in austalia, but many here prefer the status quo). Ecig companies shouldn't be allowed, and don't have to anyway, market their products as smoking cessation products, but they should be allowed to display people using the devices. Smoking cessation is a by-product of electronic cigarette usage. People can see that for themselves.

The governments role should be only to ensure quality and safety control of ecig products. That is what many of us are willing to pay sales taxes for only.

edit ; added [The behaviour of]
    Last edited by Vapers Nightly News; 29-01-13 at 05:36 PM. Reason: but they should be allowed to display people using the devices
    shipo and sperex like this.

Will respond in full after my morning coffee, but remember when I said "propaganda"?

Well here it bloody well is, under this title:
    Electronic Cigarettes Reverses Rare White Blood Cell Condition in Fascinating Case Study
    Electronic Cigarettes Reverses Rare White Blood Cell Condition in Fascinating Case Study

**** everything about this. I will come back to it after breakfast.
    mavinry4 likes this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

It's just a shitty headline, the full article itself isn't all that horrible..

Quite ironic, given the closing sentence; "Therefore, we must be more cautious and mild in our expressions; otherwise we will never have the opportunity to express our opinion (and our findings) in medical journals."
    mavinry4 likes this.

Dr Farsalinos is on our side and is an e-cig user.

RC

Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    Will respond in full after my morning coffee, but remember when I said "propaganda"?

Well here it bloody well is, under this title:

**** everything about this. I will come back to it after breakfast.
    Totally understand your concern. The title of that article is apalling. It should be along the lines of "Ecigs aided in the ceasing of tobacco smoking when other methods did not work, which then lead to so and so". To claim that ecigs had a direct involvement in the medical condition is misleading. It's as bad as Sunday's DailyMail article title.

The rest of that artcle is pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by sperex View Post
    It's just a shitty headline, the full article itself isn't all that horrible..

Quite ironic, given the closing sentence; "Therefore, we must be more cautious and mild in our expressions; otherwise we will never have the opportunity to express our opinion (and our findings) in medical journals."
    exactly.

Commented on article ;

The article is very good. Dr Farsalinos is doing a great job. The title of this article however is misleading. Ecigs didn’t have a direct role, but it was the only method in which the person could stop inhaling tobacco smoke.

Dr Farsalinos does make that clear in the actual medical report, as he stated “Smoking cessation with the use of electronic cigarette led to reversal of chronic idiopathic neutrophilia”.

Ironically, at the end of this interview Dr Farsalinos states ;

“we must be more cautious and mild in our expressions; otherwise we will never have the opportunity to express our opinion (and our findings) in medical journals”

I think this principle should be applied to blog articles as well, or else we’ll end up with a whole bunch of these ;

Electronic Cigarettes Can Increase Penis Size? | eCigBeat | Electronic Cigarette Industry News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast