Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Chronic Idiopathic Neutrophilia Relieved via use of E-cigs

Chronic Idiopathic Neutrophilia Relieved via use of E-cigs

Chronic Idiopathic Neutrophilia in A Smoker, Relieved after Smoking Cessation with the Use of Electronic Cigarette: a Case Report

Introduction: Smoking is a major risk factor for a variety of diseases. Electronic cigarettes are battery-operated devices that deliver nicotine to the lungs by evaporation of a liquid. Chronic idiopathic neutrophilia is a condition characterized by elevated white blood cell and neutrophil counts without any underlying disease; smoking has been implicated as a potential cause.

Case Presentation: A male Caucasian patient, born in 1977, presented in September 2005 with asymptomatic elevation of white blood cell and neutrophil count, and mildly-elevated C-reactive protein levels. He was a smoker since 1996 and was treated with 20 mg/day of simvastatin since 2003 due to hyperlipidemia. Clinical examination, and laboratory and imaging investigations ruled out any infectious, haematological, rheumatological, or endocrine conditions. He was followed-up regularly and was advised to stop smoking. He had 2 unsuccessful attempts to quit smoking; one was unassisted and the second was performed with the use of both varenicline and nicotine replacement therapy (patches). During the subsequent 6.5 years, his leukocyte and C-reactive protein levels were repeatedly elevated; the condition was consistent with chronic idiopathic neutrophilia. In February 2012, he started using electronic cigarettes and he managed to quit smoking within 10 days. After 6 months, laboratory examination showed normalized leukocyte count and C-reactive protein levels, confirmed immediately by a second laboratory and by repeated tests after 1 and 2 months.

Conclusion: Smoking cessation with the use of electronic cigarette led to reversal of chronic idiopathic neutrophilia. The daily use of electronic cigarette may help preserve the beneficial effects of smoking cessation.

Chronic Idiopathic Neutrophilia in A Smoker, Relieved after Smoking Ce

Full text PDF available.
    shipo, margyb, Old Dog and 5 others like this.

Ping Prof Stanton Glantz.

That's one hell of a fucking "placebo"!
    mathsguy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Conclusion: Smoking cessation with the use of electronic cigarette led to reversal of chronic idiopathic neutrophilia. The daily use of electronic cigarette may help preserve the beneficial effects of smoking cessation.

That's the stuff, now other doctors treating the same condition will use this technique, bypassing the " big picture" academics who write papers based on rhetoric, grants and donations from corporations,
    mathsguy and mavinry4 like this.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular
    Quitting smoking was what led to the reversal. Not vaping. Let's get that straight.
    I don't want to see propaganda coming from our side of the fence.
    Vaping was indirectly responsible, yes. It was the cessation tool used by the patient. Directly responsible? Nope.

It's a lot like saying Weight Watchers is responsible for for reversing type 2 diabetes. No, a structured and well thought out change of diet and lifestyle is responsible, Weight Watchers was just a portion of the method used and could be achieved without it, using different methods.
    Last edited by Rynxa; 28-01-13 at 09:34 PM.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    So....its saying cause I quit Ciggies via Vaping I'm No longer and Idiot??

I already knew that!!
    mavinry4 likes this.

Vaping is miraculous, so many other unexpected advantages ...

http://www.ecigbeat.com/e_cigs_in_th...se_penis_size/
    mavinry4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    There ya go twas the first thing I noticed...
    Old Dog and mavinry4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    Quitting smoking was what led to the reversal. Not vaping. Let's get that straight.
    I don't want to see propaganda coming from our side of the fence.
    Vaping was indirectly responsible, yes. It was the cessation tool used by the patient. Directly responsible? Nope.

It's a lot like saying Weight Watchers is responsible for for reversing type 2 diabetes. No, a structured and well thought out change of diet and lifestyle is responsible, Weight Watchers was just a portion of the method used and could be achieved without it, using different methods.

"He had 2 unsuccessful attempts to quit smoking; one was unassisted and the second was performed with the use of both varenicline and nicotine replacement therapy (patches)"

While what you say is true, what is one of the most valuable points of this case study that cold turkey, NRT and Chantix did not work and that ecigs did.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 28-01-13 at 09:47 PM.
    shipo likes this.

What it also says that it is the combustion that causes the problems. The smoke. You could inhale smoke from any burning substance and get the same effect in terms of increased inflammation/white cells/risk of heart attack/lung damage/strain on the heart etc. That Greek cardiologist demonstrated the same effects.
    mavinry4 and bugzme like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    "He had 2 unsuccessful attempts to quit smoking; one was unassisted and the second was performed with the use of both varenicline and nicotine replacement therapy (patches)"

While what you say is true, what is one of the most valuable points of this case study that cold turkey, NRT and Chantix did not work and that ecigs did.
    Yes, however the fact remains that vaping did not directly reverse his condition. Quitting smoking did.
    I could say that a keto diet reduced my risk of ovarian and uterine cancer because it helped me lose a shit load of weight and because I lost all the weight my PCOS cleared up. I could say that because all the other diets and exercise I had tried did not work for me but other methods have worked for others.
    We're focusing on the method of quitting, not the actual fact he quit.
    What is the goal? To say, "Oh, look! Someone successfully used e-cigs to quit smoking, there by improving his health!"?
    If that's the goal, then say so. Don't suggest that vaping increased his white cell count and cured his illness, or make that it was some kind of greater victory for vaping.
    I don't understand. It's worded poorly, transparency and accuracy are what will win legitimacy for vaping.

Meh, I should probably just avoid these threads. Fact is vaping IS a really great cessation device. It's great. It can assist in saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of smokers who would otherwise be unable to quit because other methods just do not work for them.
    dvietrod and studiovape like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast