Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AVF Regular

Electronic cigarettes are illegal... according this intrepid reporter!

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...ocal-news.html

Ban on 'clayton' cigarettes irks users
    Natalie Dixon
    Friday, May 6, 2011
    © The Cairns Post

USERS of an illegal smokeless, battery powered cigarette say they can't understand what the problem is with the product.
    More than 70 consignments of e-cigarettes, some destined for Cairns, have been seized at Brisbane Airport in the past month.
    Queensland Health is warning people not to buy the smokeless smokes which they say are illegal in Australia and dangerous.
    But e-cigarette users in the Far North are disappointed by the reaction to a product they say is cheaper and cleaner than normal cigarettes.
    Cairns man Jarred Lucas began using e-cigarettes last year and has not smoked a standard smoke since.
    He said the product costs less than $5 and last about the same time as a packet of tailor-made cigarettes.
    Mr Lucas said he inhales and exhales liquid nicotine suspended in propylene glycol and water from cartridges inside a rechargeable holder.
    “I used to smoke up to two packets a day, if I was feeling stressed out and I could never quit, no matter how much I tried,” he said.
    “As far as I am concerned they are healthier than normal cigarettes, there is no tar or sulphur in them and I don’t have to find a place to flick my butt when I am done.”
    A spokesperson for the Federal Department of Health and Ageing said the e-cigarette had not been evaluated for safety or efficacy.
    “Nicotine has well recognised physiological and pathological effects and, as with conventional cigarettes, the e-cigarette would be expected to lead to, and sustain, nicotine addiction,” he said.

Acb
    Reporters : Always the bastions of the social conscience (but dont for one second let truth get in the way). Always thought there is a sweet irony in it myself.

Don't know if it will get published or not, but added this comment to the story:

Sure, they haven't been "full tested" as they have only been in existance for 7 years! We have "fully tested" cigarettes since we've had over 100 years to do so.

Untested does NOT equal dangerous. We might not know the long term effects, but clincial studies have been done in USA, Japan, Italy and NZ, and they all have come to the conclusion they are 99% safer than tobacco smoke for the user, and 99.9% safer for those around the user!

Wake up Australia, stop being a nanny state and lets LEAD the world and this one. Anti-smoking groups in NZ are pushing to make e-cigarettes more widely available, why aren't we?

---

Now time to email them directly to let them know about SMOKESCREEN

EDIT: For the below (rather than posting again) - GO STONEY! WOOOO!
    EDIT 2: Well what do you know, it got posted.
    Last edited by soundasleep; 08-05-11 at 05:15 PM.

I went with
    1 Year cigarette free tomorrow after being a slave to the habit for 30years. Tried gum,patches etc, failed as do 80% of attempts.

QH has it in for ecigs purely as a voice of the pharmaceutical companys who are only concerned about losing profits.
    Even the most basic search for anecdotal evidence can show thousands of positive results and ZERO ill effects worldwide.
    Nicotine is a dangerous poison and needs to be handled responsibly, not banned outright. As for testing .. isn't that what tens of thousands are doing right now.

Illegal ? no, not yet. Unless QH comes to save us all. The misinformation being distributed on this device is astounding and has really shattered any faith I had left in the health department.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    QH makes me sick.
    The administration in QH has managed in the last decades to turn what had been of of the best health systems in Australia into one of the worst. The health professionals who work in their hospitals deserve a medal. Top heavy with bureaucrats whose main thrust is covering up their blunders (which are monumental) and ignoring the advice of Drs and other people who actually put the welfare of patients top priority.
    To those who suspect that they dont yet have the legal authority to impound, ban ,and fine nicotine users I bet your're on the money.
    I hear the familiar sounds of the Jackboot brigade though-I think theyr'e coming for us.

mine was actually posted !!

yay, all the comments appear to be negative against qh, I wonder if cairns post is a closet supporter. might be worth keeping in mind.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    My comments weren't approved unfortunately. I have posted this article and the Channel 9 news youtube video to ECF, asking for international support.
    It's nice to see there are a couple of comments from around the world making it on there also

i was careful not to pay out on the reporting, had to edit a few times to stop myself..

AVF Regular
    Might try again, sans the payout :P

Quote Originally Posted by Orph View Post
    Might try again, sans the payout :P
    They probably aren't happy with the external links...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast