Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sik

Discussion - How would you like to see e-cigs classified ?

Curious as to peoples opinions....

Would you like to see e-cigs classified like:

Cigarettes
    Chewing / Oral smokeless tobacco
    Approved / Tested NRT (patches / nicabate lozenges etc)

And what requirements do you think would go along with them being classified as any of those groups ?
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

I would Like to see liquid nicotine e liquid at 5% or less (<50mg) classified as a more accessible schedule than schedule 7!

AVF Regular
    Approved.
    I just dont understand why Governments prohibits any mention of the Ecigs great strength-that many smokers are able to quit
    by using when they have tried everything else and failed. Everyone doesnt quit but everyone doesnt want to.
    Doesnt this point a very large trembling finger of guilt at the association of Government Health Organisations with big Pharma/Tobacco?
    What other possible motive could they have?

Long Term: I'd like to see local production of nic juice and full local retailing.
    Short Term: Nic juice officially assigned to S2 since we are actually importing PG/VG with under 10% nicotine for the purpose of inhaling

What's standing in the way? (rant time):

Tobacco excises mean our government is addicted to cigarettes. Each tax increase is calculated to cover the expected drop in the numbers of smokers paying said tax. Regardless of what numbers you believe for tobacco related illness and associated costs, it's a big number in the total budget.

Chewing tobacco is pretty much illegal (Edit: personal import OK but taxed up the wazoo)

"Big Pharma" does make a fortune out of current NRTs and now make even more with patches covered by PBS. The bonus to them with NRT is it only has a 1 in 5 chance of working, so they get to keep on selling their high priced wares.

Then come along e-cigs. Having come from small Chinese manufacturers they can't afford to conduct the trials and studies needed to show the WHO that they work as a cessation aid. We don't have the hard science, but we do have anecdotal evidence to show that for many people they will stop smoking and at least reduce.

The problem the Quit organizations have is that they have been trying so hard to destroy the image of smoking. We also know that when many vapers can't get juice they will go back to smokes. So maybe they are really a replacement rather than an actual "cure"?

In the end, one side of this fight has a big media voice, lots of money and vested interests. The other side is the health of Australian smokers.
    Last edited by soundasleep; 11-05-11 at 04:02 PM.

Approved without crazy taxes...

Sik
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    Chewing tobacco is pretty much illegal here. Yes it's healthier than smoking but it is kind of gross IMHO and obviously the decision has been made that these products aren't welcome here.
    Its actually not... Its kinda like e-cigs only illegal to retail, but unlike ecigs its quite clear you can import up to 1.5 kg of it at a time legally.

You said the answer was easy... but i didnt see one, just a description of what we are up against in the fight to get them classified. Not what you would like to see.

Lolz. Thanks Sik, I did end up on a rant. Edited to actually answer the question!

How about .. none of the above, all which annex it into a category its not. Apart for option 3 as NRT. As someone who would maybe like to continue vaping indefinitely, I couldn't see it correctly being labelled a therapy.

Issue is that if that is the case then the gov will say, rightio, its a smoking replacement. Then like SNU's they will attach a duty to it so they do not lose out.
    This in our case could be a scary amount, 30ml of juice .. say 10 days use. cigarettes 10 packets, duty collected $75 or so.
    therefore attach duty of $75 to 30ml of juice.

watch this space.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Sik
    Well given a few people have said "Approved", im assuming you all mean Approved by TGA and assigned to S2 which would restrict availability to pharmacies.... And require all manufacturers to obtain said approval from the TGA. (not that standards are a bad thing, i guess) Anyone have any idea what the costs of an evaluation are ?

Clearly they are horrendous otherwise someone would have applied already ??1!!?/?

My 2 cents....

Short Term - I would like to see e-juice given an exception from S7....If Neccessary fall under requirements similar to smokeless tobacco products. I.E Ok dont retail, tax it a bit but for the love of f*** just let people import it.

Long Term - I don't know.... I'd like to see it regulated to a certain degree, but not overly restricted in where and how we can get access... Not neccessarily pharmaceutically evaluated (can u imagine the costs involved in getting every flavour approved), but at least "there is no ratsac in our gravy" and you can pick it up wherever you want evaluated.
    Last edited by Sik; 11-05-11 at 04:40 PM.

AVF Regular
    Whatever makes it freely available, and no more expensive than it is now!

Which is the most sensible and therefore unlikely outcome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast