Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: [Lord of the Realms; Return of the King] AussieVapers 2014 update

Supreme Overlord of these Realms

[Lord of the Realms; Return of the King] AussieVapers 2014 update

Hi,

Allow me to extend a heartfelt welcome to all AVF members, new and old on this fine evening.

The purpose of the thread you reading is to update you on my current thoughts for AVF, the past present and future and to serve as a guide of what you can expect from me and AVF moving forward.

1. Lets address the lack of a captain at the helm

Referring to the above I would of course be the captain. As has been made quite obvious here, my email, mobile, facebook and in fact everywhere people have managed to track me down my absence has been both prolonged and in some cases detrimental
    to the community that I have worked so hard to maintain over the last few years. This post today and the changes to come over the next few months signal my return full time to AVF. I have shuffled some things around in my real life which has allowed me
    to find a window in which I can dedicate more time again to the community I love.

There is however, a catch. This needs to be a fresh start, while I have freed up some time that time is not unlimited. I have completely wiped my PM inbox here as attempting to trawl back through over 600 unread PM's will simply slow things down at a time
    in which I can least afford to be slowed. Therefore I ask that if you have sent me a PM within the last week that you resend it so I may address it. On the PM note I also one more thing of you all. While I do love PM's and will do my best to answer them I wish
    to avoid another deluge. Please try to refrain from sending EVERYTHING my way as I need to keep it manageable. Try to leave me as a last resort if you in order to ensure I can distribute my time as required.

Also address the above, the time I have freed does not mean that I will be able to keep eyes here 24 hours a day nor address concerns you may raise within a window you find acceptable but I can promise no more than 48 hours turn around for contact and
    assure you that I take the complaints, critique and contacts of this community very seriously and will do my best to address them.

From this point forward, the Captain is back and I hope you enjoy sailing upon the good ship AVF, I hope I can fulfill the requirements of those who ask of me adequately.

2. Moderation

There are still only a limited number of moderators and the systems available to them at this time are also limited which causes a variety of problems, problems I am well aware of but previously have not had time to address. I will be making changes but they
    will not be quick.

The long and short of it is I will be moving to a true tiered system of moderation:

* Section Moderators; The ability to remove and if required restore posts within a subforum.
    The ability to place a user on "probation" from a given forum for short time frames
    The ability to request a *ban* for a user

* Senior moderators: The ability to authorise ban requests
    The ability to request permabans
    The ability to remove and if required restore posts within all subforums WHEN REQUIRED. This will be in place so that users can choose to *escalate* a decision from below.

* Forums Administration: Fear them for they are all that is powerful. There may well be an addition to this roster soon. I will keep you all appraised.

3. Growth

The growth of AVF as a community is often discussed and even used against me from time to time by people who wish to force my hand in making a decision of some kind. In the past I will admit that
    I have allowed this argument and the users presenting it to guide my hand in changes being made to AVF.

Allow me to assure you that while perhaps AVF is not the biggest forum out there and while perhaps yes we could be larger the growth is healthy and we are certainly not going backwards.

4. Leadership

From this point forward while I will be looking to moderation team for suggestions and advice much as I always have I will be largely responsible for any and all top end AVF decisions. Weather or not this
    is good or bad in the long term is yet to be seen but its something I must put in place. A lot of the issues and inconsistency that have plauged AVF over the last eighteen months stems from the fact that
    there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen and I often felt pressure to make decisions under terms that were not my own.

Why you ask? I will not deny it, it was the fear that failure to do so could lead in the community I have worked so hard to see grow would dissapear in front of my eyes should I fail to do so. In my time away
    from the forums I have realised that all I can do is what I think is right and what will come will come but at the end of the day at least I would have tried and the consequences that come from that decision
    will be my own.

I can not continue to run AVF as a democracy and it is something that I have should have learned some time ago. My attempts to try and appease everybody and anger nobody normally just ended up in everybody
    being angry and me making snap decisions based on whoever yelled at me the most. In the long term I feel the only way to solidify AVF is to make decisions based off what I feel is best.

With the above out of the way there will still be other changes, some small, some big etc but I will keep you all updated for the most part as I have always tried to do so. Please also bear in mind that the changes above
    will not be immediate but I will keep you updated on their availability.

As always I value your input and I thank you for your time.

TL;DR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6lkNaEysFI
    Last edited by JatoOspry; 28-02-14 at 08:12 PM.
    Captain, billyboy689, Noe and 32 others like this.

AVF Regular
    good to have you back

AVF Regular
    Well put Captain. ..a tot of of " Old Navy " all round I say..:-)
    Monk EyBoy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoOspry View Post
    i didn't read the rest, are we going republican?
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Good oh!...

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Aye Aye
    Roxxiiangel likes this.
    Fifth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular

Crystal's Comments
    GirlyPantz, Roxxiiangel and Nakor like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    true lies was a crap movie, but the nintendo64 [might have been super nes, can't remember] game was good

that had arnie

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Sounds fine by me. I always consider myself a guest.

Thanks for supplying us with a place.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 28-02-14 at 10:03 PM.
    Stomp likes this.

AVF Regular
    The King has return or Captain???... eerrrr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast