Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By gtadmin
  • 2 Post By gtadmin
  • 1 Post By DogMan

Thread: Current AVF popup problem.

Super Moderator

Current AVF popup problem.

I'm sure most people by now (including those who are only browsing as guests) are aware of the popup problem we are currently experiencing. Until the admin person provides a permanent fix, there are a couple of workarounds.

One of these is to install AdBlock Plus, available as an add-on for a variety of browsers.

Don't forget to restart your browser after installation, as fab4 suggested

If you are unable to install AdBlock (due to Operating System restrictions) or are unwilling to do so, you can disable javascript in your browser, and if your browser settings allow it, only block javascript for aussievapers.com. There are way to many combinations of OS/Browsers for me to list on how to do it for each one though, so LMGTFY
    Last edited by gtadmin; 23-04-17 at 07:06 PM.
    Crisscross, Fatman, shaneo and 2 others like this.
    Started vaping 28th October 2011

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

Super Moderator
    A couple of drawbacks to turning off javascript have been reported:

1. The "Like" button will not work (I tested this myself)
    2. The WYSIWYG text editor may not work (not tested)

Hopefully, this will only be a short term workaround.
    Fatman and Littleraf like this.
    Started vaping 28th October 2011

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

AVF Regular
    I was going to add this to GT's thread but he closed it.

If you don't want to turn Javascript off (and lose the ability to 'like') and adblock isn't working for you (it should, but might depend on what adservers it's currently blocking) there's the alternative which I have been using for years. I mentioned it once before, but I'll do so again. You can add a list of adservers to your /tcp/hosts file and the problem should go away. Because it's a lower level of control (at the network protocol level instead of a browser extension) it's impossible for it not to work as long you have the right adservers in the list. With the right entries in the hosts file it will also block malware sites and other nuisance stuff as well.

How to do it:

1. Locate your hosts file. This usually in /tcp/hosts but some systems may tuck TCP under another directory. Google TCP information for your operating system to find out about this, or search for a file called hosts. Once you locate it, it's good practice to make a backup copy of your hosts file - save a copy to hosts.bak or similar.

2. You then edit the hosts file. Leave everything in the hosts file that is already there, and append all the lines from a good adblocker list like Steven Blacks unified hosts file.

3. It should not strictly be necessary to reboot your computer but it's probably better to do it so you can be sure the hosts file has been re-read.

4. You should now find that all ads have disappeared from your system. You may still see blank squares on some websites because they are hardcoded into the website, but no content is downloaded and pop-ups do not even open. Some (but not all) sites that force you to watch an ad before giving you access may complain and fail to work, but that's is such a small number of sites I've never found it to be an issue at all.

More information on this here:
    https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/41159/u...s-and-malware/

Edit to add: This is a really simple procedure but I understand that some people may not have done anything like this before. Modern operating systems tend to protect the user from system level files. All you need is a good text editor and two minutes to modify the file, it really is that simple.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 23-04-17 at 09:12 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I was going to add this to GT's thread but he closed it.

If you don't want to turn Javascript off (and lose the ability to 'like') and adblock isn't working for you (it should, but might depend on what adservers it's currently blocking) there's the alternative which I have been using for years. I mentioned it once before, but I'll do so again. You can add a list of adservers to your /tcp/hosts file and the problem should go away. Because it's a lower level of control (at the network protocol level instead of a browser extension) it's impossible for it not to work as long you have the right adservers in the list. With the right entries in the hosts file it will also block malware sites and other nuisance stuff as well.

How to do it:

1. Locate your hosts file. This usually in /tcp/hosts but some systems may tuck TCP under another directory. Google TCP information for your operating system to find out about this, or search for a file called hosts. Once you locate it, it's good practice to make a backup copy of your hosts file - save a copy to hosts.bak or similar.

2. You then edit the hosts file. Leave everything in the hosts file that is already there, and append all the lines from a good adblocker list like Steven Blacks unified hosts file.

3. It should not strictly be necessary to reboot your computer but it's probably better to do it so you can be sure the hosts file has been re-read.

4. You should now find that all ads have disappeared from your system. You may still see blank squares on some websites because they are hardcoded into the website, but no content is downloaded and pop-ups do not even open. Some (but not all) sites that force you to watch an ad before giving you access may complain and fail to work, but that's is such a small number of sites I've never found it to be an issue at all.

More information on this here:
    https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/41159/u...s-and-malware/
    for those new to editing system files, use something like "notepad" or "vim", NEVER an office editor like word... they put hidden characters that may stop it working
    fabricator4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity