Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Haha WTF?! What's up with the ad situation?

AVF Regular

Haha WTF?! What's up with the ad situation?

Since the sticky thread is closed due to these forums tending to be quite stuffy and, on average, incapable of taking criticism, I've created this thread. (This opinion is based on experience from previous years of being a member and upon visiting today, things appear to remain unchanged.) I gather some of this has been answered already, but I'll proceed.

Firstly, how the hell did pop-up advertising end up on this website in the first place. I understand you need to make revenue to maintain servers, etc... but, if they were installed for this reason, why pop up ads of all advertising?

Were you hacked, or was this unintentional? Either way, this screams incompetence as:
    a) If you were hacked, personal information is obviously at a risk and security is poor
    b) If it was unintentional, something like this should have never occurred and shouldn't be too hard to fix

Seems like it's taking a very long time to fix. The onus is on staff to rectify the issue, not for members to use workarounds. If the ads are generating revenue, use that money to hire somebody who can fix it for you. If they're not, ask members to donate to hire somebody. If that doesn't work, just put some damn effort in to it. It's not like it's unsolvable.

Of all advertisements, these are the worst possible type. They're, misleading and may potentially install malware on people's devices or steal personal information. These should have been removed in days, max; It shouldn't take months, and counting.

Lastly, this is incredibly likely to turn off potential members. Nobody wants to visit a site with pop-up ads on everything you click on. Why would (the majority of) new members actively sign up to a barrage of spam opening up constantly in new tabs.

Anyway, seems pretty ridiculous to me....
    Fatman and 1ynne like this.

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

AVF Regular
    I take it you have not caught up then

Too long to explain - Here read this

AVF's Future ( or how NOT to celebrate a 5th Year Mod Anniversary )
    If vape advocacy has taught me anything at all - then it is the fact that the average person has no power over their own destiny or bigger picture. Advocacy is about power, money, and recognition, made up of self proclaimed 'experts' in a field where none exist.
    Stock up and vape/ snus on! Screw them!

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Subscribed

Not sure why but I am bored.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Actually, XX, I thought the OP was a very nice summary of the situation ...... lol
    Finally quit the stinkies on 19/6/2017

AVF Regular
    I don't see any pop-up advertising, perhaps some people should learn how to clean and secure their spyware ridden browsers rather than spend their time whining and blaming others.
    There's plenty of browser ad blockers out there.

AVF Regular
    Okay, so basically, it's even worse than I thought, wow.
    I actually can't believe that a half decent place has gone down hill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a jab at a lot of the moderators, most of them are decent people and volunteer their time to maintain this place and the onus is not upon them to deal with such issues.

Surely it wouldn't have been too hard to have an isolated backup that could have been used. Sure, you'd lose some posts, but it'd certainly be a lot better than this current situation. Guessing that wasn't an option though, which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I don't see any pop-up advertising, perhaps some people should learn how to clean and secure their spyware ridden browsers rather than spend their time whining and blaming others.
    So you're basically saying: "I don't see it, so it's not a problem and if somebody else has to deal with it, well, screw them. It's not up to the source of the problem to deal with it, it's up to the visitors. It's their fault, afterall, for visiting this site!".

Not whinging, just making observations and enquiring. A society that's oppressed and without curiosity is doomed to stagnation, or worse. If you want to keep your mouth shut, be my guest (although I'm sure you won't be able to), but you're being a complete hypocrite as you're whinging about my post. I'm sure you'll whinge about this one too. I'm simply trying to find out why a half decent place has decayed to its current state while stating that it shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

I was on mobile while as a guest the first time. I did a few tests and logging in using a secure browser gives me no pop-up ads but using that same browser as a guest, they pop up. I'm guessing you auto-login, so it isn't an issue for you. Any time I browsed as a guest, each page opened would give me a pop-up, I tested it on three devices. Logging in on any device that initially had pop-ups removes them. I keep my browsers extremely clean and quite secure, thank you. This is the only site in which I have them arise and, after testing, it doesn't matter the device, they still show, even on a formatting phone. So, I reallly don't see how you can come to the conclusion that the browser's to blame. And yes, I'm aware of spyware that will open pop-ups when clicking links that actually is installed as a browser component (I've had to remove them from devices belonging to my family), but this isn't the case here; at least in my situation.

I can't believe how backwards your thinking is. But hey, everyone's entitled to be absurd, if they do choose, and there's always going to be one. Forums wouldn't exist without people such as yourself.
    Keep up the quasi-inflammatory posts! You're the Yang to the Ying, disagreement and outrage is the lifeblood of forums!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Subscribed

Not sure why but I am bored.
    As long as people such as fixit keep their posts coming, I'm sure it'll be entertaining!

(Edited as my phone auto-corrected to "Dixit". It was somewhat tempting to leave it be.)
    Last edited by kritikal; 26-01-18 at 04:57 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kritikal View Post
    As long as people such as fixit keep their posts coming, I'm sure it'll be entertaining!

(Edited as my phone auto-corrected to "Dixit". It was somewhat tempting to leave it be.)
    I was not going to participate in the game you obviously want to play but why not give you your moment.

You are preaching to the choir. You say that we are sensitive to criticism but you are not targetting those members that have been active participants over the past few years. You are aiming your shots at admin. Good luck with that... its always fun flogging the dead horse.

There is a core group here who despite the issues have been available to any new vapers that need help and there have been a lot. I presume you are still vaping and running your eliquid business so vaping has been good to you. If you feel the need to assist, try being a more active participant and just maybe people will forgive you for misreading the situation. If anything your signature is more likely to ruffle feathers. The Mods do a great job making the best of a bad situation.

So go ahead and keep the tirade coming. It might actually reach the right ears.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 26-01-18 at 09:05 AM.
    giruvian, Tara, DocM and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kritikal View Post

It is remiss that your auto correct hasn't updated & didn't pick up UberKritikal. Your choice to vent I suppose. It seems as though you did more flogging of your wares 12 months ago then bounce back in and take the superiority complex out for an airing.
    Do go on.
    emu and Lionhead like this.
    Non conformists, form an orderly queue and take a number.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    You can't be serious. This place should be clean.........I can go to a number of other forums with no problems but if I come here on my phone without logging in I get pop ups.
    Fatman, DocM, 1ynne and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast