Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Exchange rate rip off on Health Cabin.

Thumbs up Exchange rate rip off on Health Cabin.

So I racked up my $250 on health cabin today to get my 15% discount and free shipping. With the US dollar being at $1.08 AU$ and a 15% discount I expected approximately to have the US to Aussie surcharge reversed. (Half of 15% is 0.075) The numbers came up nowhere near that. So I ran the exchange rate that HC had calculated through a calculator. Exchange rate from HC was $1.12 AU to $1.00 US!

I'm grateful for the discount but it seems like a bit of a con when Healthcabin is gobbling up half the savings in dodgy exchange rates =/

Anyhow just thought I should make others aware of this discrepancy so that they know to check this when they order from HC....

Happy vaping all.
    Last edited by SmokeyBear; 21-05-14 at 09:22 PM.
    Browny likes this.

AVF Regular
    I pay in US and let my CC do the conversion.
    28 Degrees MasterCard .. The rate is very close to official and no foreign exchange fee.
    I also have that card linked to my PP account so I have that option too with the same conversion rate
    PS I don't work for 28 degrees .. I just found it was the best after lots of research.
    unik and SmokeyBear like this.

I've spent far more than that on vaping ... But I like to think of the positives
    Actually I don't think that's true anymore .. Savings now exceed spending .. Sweet !
    Innokin SVD (dead), MVP v2 and itaste VV3 (dead), several eGo's, EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus, Aerotank Mega, Aspire Nautilus, ET-s, Mini Nova-s, CE5 BDCs .. So far

Quote Originally Posted by remi1au View Post
    28 Degrees MasterCard .. The rate is very close to official and no foreign exchange fee.
    I also have that card linked to my PP account so I have that option too with the same conversion rate
    PS I don't work for 28 degrees .. I just found it was the best after lots of research.
    Thanks for the tip. I believe I'll be taking a leaf out of your book in the future.

AVF Regular
    That is pretty much the only card I could find with those benefits .. Citibank visa plus is good too but it's a debit card and some online stores don't like them.
    I have both .. And also use them when travelling overseas for the same reason

I've spent far more than that on vaping ... But I like to think of the positives
    Actually I don't think that's true anymore .. Savings now exceed spending .. Sweet !
    Innokin SVD (dead), MVP v2 and itaste VV3 (dead), several eGo's, EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus, Aerotank Mega, Aspire Nautilus, ET-s, Mini Nova-s, CE5 BDCs .. So far

I just made a purchase through HC for some things they have that I can't get here and found the same thing.....that'll teach me not to pay closer attention, I can't even blame the bourbon on this one. It's definitely worth taking note of though.
    SmokeyBear likes this.

Heh. I'm not surprised Browny. I double checked myself on an Itaste 134 within about 3 mins of posting the OP. Yeah I agree about HC being good for stuff that isn't available elsewhere. I guess with it being very much a legality in Australia now to be informing you of any surcharges its easy to assume that we are not getting surcharged when shopping OS and don't get those notifications we've become used too. Just something to bear in mind when shopping OS. We have become somewhat used to transparency in these matters in this country due to the strict laws here now regarding such things.
    Browny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by remi1au View Post
    i can vouch for this as i also use the same cc.. no international transaction fees .. no currency conversion fees.. no annual fee.. pretty good! been using it for 5-6 yrs now no probs linked to my paypal
    remi1au and SmokeyBear like this.

hana v3-expromizer
    kfl+

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Thank you very much for your asking here, so we can get a chance to explain it and suggest all customers to pay your order in USD.

The reason is that we can not withdraw any money in AU dollar or Pounds from our paypal account to our bank account in china because our bank accepts only US dollar.

If we get any payment in other currency, we will exchange them into US dollar via Paypal currency exchange system according to Paypal currency exchange rate. Plus, paypal charges an extra service rate of 2.5% on each currency exchange transaction.

Normally we get a loss in the currency exchange if we use Paypal currency exchange system.

Worse, we have no choice but to accept Paypal rules if we want to use those money in other currency.

Overall, we prefer all payment in USD to save your money and our money as well.
    Last edited by healthcabin; 25-05-14 at 02:52 PM.
    SmokeyBear likes this.
    www.healthcabin.net

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by healthcabin View Post
    Thank you very much for your asking here, so we can get a chance to explain it and suggest all customers to pay your order in USD.

The reason is that we can not withdraw any money in AU dollar or Pounds or from our paypal account to our bank account in china because our bank accepts only US dollar.

If we get any payment in other currency, we will exchange them into US dollar via Paypal currency exchange system according to Paypal currency exchange rate. Plus, paypal charges an extra service rate of 2.5% on each currency exchange transaction.

Normally we get a loss in the currency exchange if we use Paypal currency exchange system.

Worse, we have no choice but to accept Paypal rules if we want to use those money in other currency.

Overall, we prefer all payment in USD to save your money and our money as well.
    I find that if I change payment to AUD before checkout that it works out cheaper for me than paying in USD and letting paypal do the conversion.
    Browny likes this.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy J View Post
    I find that if I change payment to AUD before checkout that it works out cheaper for me than paying in USD and letting paypal do the conversion.
    Paypal currency exchange rate is not the same as the real exchange rate. Paypal decides their own exchange rate to their biggest advantage.

sometimes payment in AUD is cheaper than payment in USD. sometimes not.
    Sammy J likes this.
    www.healthcabin.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast