• 6 Post By Heaven Gifts
  • 1 Post By Crisscross
  • 1 Post By Wombats1
  • 3 Post By Robray
  • 3 Post By Fatman

Thread: Important News for the whole eCigs Industry

AussieVapers approved Vendor

Important News for the whole eCigs Industry

On September 8, 2016, at European Patent Office (EPO) located in Munich, Joyetech GmbH, alongside a few ecig companies, collectively succeeded with patent revocation against EP 2022349 patent held by Fontem Ventures.

Fontem Ventures is a subsidiary of tobacco company Imperial Tobacco, the world's fourth-largest international cigarette company. Dating back to 2013, Imperial Tobacco bought the original e-cigarette patents from Hon Lik, father of the modern e-cigs, this is what Imperial Tobacco is basing its copyright infringement lawsuits on.

The result of this case has a significant influence on the development of the whole e-cigarette industry around the world. We all know vaping is much more healthy than smoking traditional tobacco. Imagine if Fontem Ventures had won, they would charge every user of e-cigarette product for the patent fee. It would be devastating if the traditional tobacco company sells tobacco and also controls e-cigarettes industry.

We will definitely fight together and try our best to create a bright future for the whole e-cigarette industry. Keep vaping, keep fighting!

www.heavengifts.com

AVF Regular
    That's excellent....... Thank you
    singlefished likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Hon liks device was ultrasonic generation of vapour (correct me if i am incorrect) how was imperial tobacco trying to impose patent restrictions on coil type (heating) vapourizers? (I am asking a question not a statement or rhetorical) my simplistic view says it should have failed, very interested to know more, thanks
    Robray likes this.
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombats1 View Post
    Hon liks device was ultrasonic generation of vapour (correct me if i am incorrect) how was imperial tobacco trying to impose patent restrictions on coil type (heating) vapourizers? (I am asking a question not a statement or rhetorical) my simplistic view says it should have failed, very interested to know more, thanks

In 2003,[3] he came up with the idea of using a high frequency, piezoelectric ultrasound-emitting element to vaporize a pressurized jet of liquid containing nicotine.[4] This design creates a smoke-like vapor that delivers nicotine.[1] Hon Lik filed the first patent in 2003 in China for the device.[5] The first electronic cigarette was manufactured that year in Beijing, China[3] using an ultra-sound technology.[6] It didn't have the vaporization system used today but instead based on atomization, which can vaporize liquids through the heating produced by the electricity of the battery.[4] Most e-cigarettes today use a battery-powered heating element rather than the ultrasonic technology patented design from 2003.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hon_Lik
    Fatman, singlefished and Wombats1 like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Super Moderator
    The Ruyans he worked on and developed in 2004-7 were the first coil atomiser systems too ( he held the patents for them as well I believe )
    His company Dragonite held the patents and it was sold including the patent rights ...

China manufacturing only gets a little scared when the stealing of ideas is challenged by someone with big enough pockets to make them sweat
    Robray, fabricator4 and Wombats1 like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Thank goodness they lost, yes what I could find was saying the patents were broad and included the atomising of liquid containing nicotine (very broad)

Awseome guys thanks
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Without wanting to come across as a doomsayer, this is far from a watershed moment for the vaping industry. The real fight will begin if (well, when) Tobacco starts heavily lobbying pollies, and they will--the objective won't be to annihilate vaping as as sector (too much money to be made) but rather through the mechanism of various legislature to institute compliance, health and safety and indemnity standards which will be virtually impossible to meet for small and grassroots vaping manufacturers. The added bonus of this method is that is also a convenient PR disclaimer. All a politician or government rep needs to say is 'We're cleaning up the vaping industry--making it safer'. We've got data that shows that' etc et al ad finitum. I wouldn't read too much into, or try and make any meaningful extrapolations about the future of vaping from one succesful patent revocation. The thing is, if big money anything isn't winning at the game currently being played, they won't try and get better at it--they'll just make a new game and force everyone else to play it.

I'd be surprised if they pointed the barrel at retailers, that wouldn't be beneficial. That will be the thin edge of the wedge; the thicker end will, yes, involve patent rights and streamlined legal processes to litigate individuals and companies that transgress them. It's about tying an untiable tie; make the price and risk of business so great, and so much of a palaver that you essentially 'salt the earth'--destroy the possibility of competition rather than try to outcompete it. Bigger overhead, procedurally speaking, but far less expensive in the long run. This kind of crony capitalism is par for the course, the exemplary model being Monsanto and GMO crops, especially corn. I'm fairly cynical when it comes to the public's ability to affect change in the free market....we just don't tend to win very often. I almost laughed until I burst when Bernie Sanders was talking about how he was going to reign in Wall Street, for example....those guys don't lose. They can't. The house always wins. The idea that a career politician could outwit the finace sector's best and brightest is about as realistic as expecting a colony of Lemurs to beat NASA at the space race. But I digress.

Given how fat tobacco's wallet is, I can't believe this isn't already happening. Expect it to; vaping is a rapidly expanding industry from where I stand and Tobacco is going to want more than a slice of the pie, they are going to try for the whole dish. Vaping is something I'd personally buy into, and I'm definitely considering it, but nobody really has the lie of the land yet or understands it all yet. Early days, interesting times.
    Last edited by Starlo; 11-09-16 at 02:11 PM.