Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Stoney atty checker

Stoney atty checker

Editted slightly with new info..

paypal pre-payments to colhoon@gmail.com
    do not use gift option, $40 currently including fees and charges and postage.
    include forum name for tracking.

funds are currently : not required.

Ok, got enough ideas to make me want one now..

I could procrastinate on this for a another 6 months or we could do a kickstarter on it
    probably would want to raise about $800 to get this one going. what would people think is a good price to pay.
    Do people want a $20 basic one, or a $40 'real' one ..

Heres me thoughts so far ..

18650 powered .. considered other options but I think anyone who would want one, probably already has an 18650 and charger.. thoughts .. (considering single or dual 18650)
    OLED display .. probably the 128 x 32 jobby.. why not, I need more text space and I want graphics..
    touch buttons, they never wear out. (will be 128x64 considering larger display, looked at colour also)
    single 510 connector facing vertical upwards. will need to fit a 510-ego adapter for stardusts etc.
    (angled face/connector to be determined with some testing, if strength suffers, no go)

ok, concept is you can set the wattage/current for a test, this way unlike any other testers out there, it can fully power a genesis. Being able to set a maximum current means it will never blow a coil.

Now I thought of just displaying the resistance, but hell .. thats boring.
    i think it needs to indicate when the resistance is changing. This is where the graphics come in .. basically some sort of graphical display showing the resistance .. it could either be like an oscilloscope, with a line moving slowly across and a dip if the resistance drops, or it could display it in text form, with a min,max,average type thing, suggestions here.

It wlll have an accurate battery measuring method, if code space allows then it can show things like voltage drop under load giving you a basic battery quality indicator.

I actually have a 3d printer now, so design can be based around a decent case. I have bought a while ago a bunch of battery terminals that ill allow me to pcb mount an 18650 in a slot basically.

So feedback/thoughts on .. form factor, test method. etc what features are people after .. in its most basic form, I think just screwing an atty onto it turns it on at low current and gives you a resistance, ie .. easy to use in basic form.
    then there are buttons to do other stuff via a menu system.

tell me if I am going overboard ..
    I already decided against the onboard charger, USB connection, battery testing and logging facility etc ..
    Last edited by Stoney; 19-04-13 at 03:16 PM. Reason: updated a little
    Vinny and phxrxonic like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Hmmm the ability to Hot wrap a coil would be a great feature.

She's going to kill me but.....

Bugzme x 1

heh, been thinking about that the last few days too .. i was going to make some sort of winding machine that could keep the wire powered up.
    bugzme likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    It's static, so form factor can grow, we don't need to carry it in our pockets. Let form follow function (wish I'd said that first).
    Volts, Ohms and Amps, measure these in 1, 10, 100ms slices, hrmm, an atty oscilloscope function, see what's really going on.
    Hold function.
    Function to trigger on spikes and thresholds.
    External power option, could be a very desirable passthrough no battery fancy arse desk jobbie when not measuring, thereby keeping it front and centre.
    PC data exchange, store results and wave forms.

Feature options, basic model and optioned up for $, let the titanium fancy switch fuckers pay for bonus features.
    Serial number them.
    Make or outsource super cases for additional $

Make for less than $100 and I'm in.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Count me in.

A couple of ideas:

Spacers, to allow the use/testing of alternate batteries. 18490/18350

Incorporate a calculation for internal battery resistance, to indicate battery health. I think it is the relationship between unloaded and loaded voltage. I found the calc a while ago.

AVF Regular
    floorzone2 x1 thanks.
    RIP VP

Super Moderator
    Bugzme x1
    floorzone2 x1
    GT x1
    Last edited by gtadmin; 05-04-13 at 09:37 PM. Reason: FZ!
    floorzone2 likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

Bugzme x1
    floorzone2 x1
    GT x1
    ozydevil x1

damn, and I thought I over complicated things

Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    It's static, so form factor can grow, we don't need to carry it in our pockets. Let form follow function (wish I'd said that first).
    agreed, needs a stable desk form factor so it can act as a holder while being wound.

Volts, Ohms and Amps, measure these in 1, 10, 100ms slices, hrmm, an atty oscilloscope function, see what's really going on.
    not sure it needs to be a full scope, it just needs to display whats happening. so latch the errors and ensure they are displayed.
    concept involves limiting wattage by PWM, so even on very low powers its still say 3A on every time, but perhaps on for only 1mS per second. no heat.

Hold function.
    as above .. ensure errors are displayed, do you need to know when ? not really, just if ..

Function to trigger on spikes and thresholds.
    trigger what .. the onboard scope ? s above .. no need, its sort of a storage scope..

External power option, could be a very desirable passthrough no battery fancy arse desk jobbie when not measuring, thereby keeping it front and centre.
    considered .. but added cost for little benefit, adds wires and complexity ..

PC data exchange, store results and wave forms.
    for real ?
    why .. I think a simple data output similar to ECD is the go, but most will have no need for it or want it.

Feature options, basic model and optioned up for $, let the titanium fancy switch fuckers pay for bonus features.
    lol, you're mean..

Serial number them.
    cosidered, could optionally have a USB bootloader and downloadable software options, but hell .. its an ohm meter..

Make or outsource super cases for additional $
    Seriously ?
    A nice wood case would be good for a desk, but can always redo pcb for a different form factor later.

Make for less than $100 and I'm in.
    was thinking $40 ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wocka View Post
    Count me in.

A couple of ideas:

Spacers, to allow the use/testing of alternate batteries. 18490/18350

Incorporate a calculation for internal battery resistance, to indicate battery health. I think it is the relationship between unloaded and loaded voltage. I found the calc a while ago.
    yer .. if Vl is loaded and Vul is unloaded then Rinternal is (Vul - Vl)/Itest

but .. unless you go nuts on a seriously good clamping system, spring resistance, 2 contact resistances are always in there.

considering a good battery tester next .. not this one though

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast