Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Custom Coils ! ( by Jobics)

Super Moderator

Custom Coils ! ( by Jobics)

Starting topic for Jobics's new enterprise "Flipping Filo"
    Here's what he has to say about them !

View Profile: jobics - AussieVapers | The original Australian e-cigarette community

Have you ever wondered what the difference is in vaping using single wire vs. twisted or a clapton or an alien or a tiger or whatever? Ever wondered if there is a difference between using Kanthal vs. Nichrome or Stainless Steel? Or even between the different grades of Stainless Steel (304, 316, 316L, 317, 317L, 403)? Is there a difference with using a 24, 26 or 28 gauge wire as the Clapton core or if there's a difference with using 32 or 36 gauge wire as the wrap.

Wanted to find out but you don't know how to build a coil or don't want to end up with a roll of wire which will go unused forever?

Now you don't have to wonder anymore, Flipping Filo has the solution - Kanthal A1 and SS316L sampler packs.

Kanthal A1 sampler pack
    You will get 14 coils in all - 2 coils each of:

1. Clapton coil - inner wire is 26 AWG while outer wrap is 32 AWG; 7 wraps; 0.72 ohm resistance
    2. Dual Twisted coil - 2 strands of round 26 AWG wire twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.55 ohm resistance
    3. Dual Twisted coil - 2 strands of round 28 AWG wire twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.78 ohm resistance
    4. Dual Twisted coil - round 26 AWG wire and a flat 0.5x0.1 wire twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.81 ohm resistance
    5. Triple Twisted coil - 3 strands of round 28 AWG twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.59 ohm resistance
    6. Triple Twisted coil - 2 strands of round 28 AWG and a flat 0.5x0.1 wire twisted together and wrapped 7 times; 0.64 ohm resistance
    7. Quad Twisted coil - 4 strands of round 30 AWG wire twisted together and wrapped 7 times; 0.69 ohm resistance

SS316L sampler pack

1. Clapton coil - inner wire 26 AWG, outer wire 32 AWG; 7 wraps; 3 mm Internal Diameter (ID); 0.5 ohms resistance
    2. Flat Clapton coil - inner 0.8 mm x 0.3 mm flat wire, outer wire 32 AWG; 8 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.32 ohms resistance
    3. Spaced coil - 26 AWG; 5 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.32 ohms resistance (these are pre-made coils, not handmade by me)
    4. Spaced coil - 28 AWG; 5 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.60 ohms resistance (these are pre-made coils, not handmade by me)
    5. Flat Clapton coil - inner wire 26 AWG, outer wire 0.8 mm x 0.2 mm flat wire; 7 wraps; 2.5 mm ID; 0.395 ohms resistance
    6. Flat Twisted coil - 2 lengths of 0.8 mm x 0.2 mm flat wires twisted together; 7 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.26 ohms resistance
    7. Mixed Twisted coil - 0.8 mm x 0.2 mm flat wire + 26 AWG twisted together; 8 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.48 ohms resistance

- Listed resistance is for one coil. If you want to use a dual coil configuration, the resistance is halved (i.e. one Clapton coil's resistance 0.5 ohms, a dual clapton coil's resistance will be 0.25 ohms).
    - Build safe. Check your mod's specifications so you do not exceed its minimum resistance.

Shipping notes:
    - Prices include posting Australia-wide and will take 2-6 business days to arrive. Coils are placed in plastic baggies with a label to indicate coil type and specifications. These plastic bags are then placed into a padded mail envelope. I have not yet had any customer complaining that the coils have arrived deformed.
    If you want Priority shipping (1-4 days), add $0.50.
    - I will endeavour to post purchased items within 1 business day of the payment being received. Please bear in mind that I am human and sometimes get sick.
    - Pickup is available if you want (Point Cook, Victoria). Pickup knocks off $1.50 from the price.

Payment notes:
    - For your safety and mine, payment will be done through Paypal. PM me for my account information.
    View Profile: jobics - AussieVapers | The original Australian e-cigarette community
    Last edited by Fatman; 23-10-16 at 10:24 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011
    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular

Kanthal A1 hand made coil 14-piece sampler pack

Kanthal coils sampler pack (14 coils - 2 of each variation)

So, why use fancy coils instead of just a single strand of wire? Well, the answer is surface area. Vapour production is directly proportional to surface area - the more area to vapourise the juice, the more vapour you get. Okay, I'm simplifying things, you also have to take into account the power provided to the coil but with today's generation of high power mods, wattage isn't a problem anymore. For these coils, I rarely go over 60 watts because over that, it's just too hot for my taste.

Try this sample pack to find out which coil variation is right for you.

1. Clapton coil - inner wire is 26 AWG while outer wrap is 32 AWG; 7 wraps; 0.72 ohm resistance
    2. Dual Twisted coil - 2 strands of round 26 AWG wire twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.55 ohm resistance
    3. Dual Twisted coil - 2 strands of round 28 AWG wire twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.78 ohm resistance
    4. Dual Twisted coil - round 26 AWG wire and a flat 0.5x0.1 wire twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.81 ohm resistance
    5. Triple Twisted coil - 3 strands of round 28 AWG twisted together and wrapped 6 times; 0.59 ohm resistance
    6. Triple Twisted coil - 2 strands of round 28 AWG and a flat 0.5x0.1 wire twisted together and wrapped 7 times; 0.64 ohm resistance
    7. Quad Twisted coil - 4 strands of round 30 AWG wire twisted together and wrapped 7 times; 0.69 ohm resistance

Click on pic for a larger image.

image hosting without account

To order, please go to http://www.flippingfilo.com.au
    Last edited by jobics; 16-05-17 at 09:36 PM.
    Robray, MrGruffy and BatDan like this.

AVF Regular

SS 316L hand made coil 14-piece sampler pack

Click on pictures for a larger image.

Why use Stainless Steel resistance wire?
    1. 316L Stainless Steel exhibits good strength and is corrosion resistant. It is medical grade metal, meaning it can be used for biomedical implants.
    2. Tastes cleaner than Kanthal, Titanium or Nickel. No metallic taste.
    3. Can be used in wattage or temp control modes
    4. Lower resistance wire so more wraps are needed to achieve the same resistance vs the same gauge in Kanthal. This means more surface area, and more surface area means more area for the e-juice to vaporise and this translates to more flavour and vapor (clouds).
    5. Vape is cooler.
    6. Can be dry-burned for shaping or cleaning the coil.

SS 316L TCR value is 0.00092

1. Clapton (flat core) coil - inner 0.8 mm x 0.3 mm ribbon wire, outer wire 32 AWG; 8 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.34 ohms resistance
    2. Clapton coil - inner wire 26 AWG, outer wire 32 AWG; 7 wraps; 3 mm Internal Diameter (ID); 0.5 ohms resistance
    3. Clapton (flat wrap) coil - inner wire 26 AWG, outer wire 0.8 mm x 0.2 mm ribbon wire; 7 wraps; 2.5 mm ID; 0.36 ohms resistance
    4. Twisted (flat) coil - 2 lengths of 0.8 mm x 0.2 mm ribbon wires twisted together; 7 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.25 ohms resistance
    5. Twisted (mixed) coil - 0.8 mm x 0.2 mm ribbon wire + 26 AWG twisted together; 6 wraps; 3 mm ID; 0.23 ohms resistance

Last edited by jobics; 16-05-17 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added pretty pictures :-)
    MrGruffy likes this.

AVF Regular

SS 316L Fused Claptons

Okay, we all know the Fused Claptons give a more flavour and clouds compared to ordinary Clapton coils. But, did you know that varying the wrap size can fine-tune your vaping experience? If you're after clouds, then a 32 gauge wrap is best for you; after flavour? - 40 gauge is your choice; a balance between clouds and flavour - 36 gauge.

I have available SS 316L fused claptons with a 28x2 core, 8/7 wraps, 3 mm ID:
    1. 32 AWG wrap - 0.5 Ω resistance
    2. 36 AWG wrap - 0.47 Ω resistance
    3. 40 AWG wrap - 0.45 Ω resistance

upload a gif
    Last edited by jobics; 16-05-17 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added new packs

AVF Regular
    Clapton coil packs are now available using Kanthal A1, Stainless Steel 316L or Nichrome 80.

Custom made coils are also available. Select your build, material, wraps and/or internal diameter.

Kanthal A1 Clapton Coil pack
    1. Clapton - 24 AWG inner, 36 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.65 Ω resistance
    2. Clapton - 26 AWG inner, 32 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.95 Ω resistance
    3. Clapton - 28 AWG inner, 32 AWG outer; 6/5 wraps; 1.34 Ω resistance
    4. Fused Clapton - 2x 26 AWG (parallel) inner, 36 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.45 Ω resistance
    5. Fused Clapton - 2x 28 AWG (parallel) inner, 32 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.65 Ω resistance

Click for a larger image->

SS 316L Clapton Coil pack
    1. Clapton - 24 AWG inner, 32 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.32 Ω resistance
    2. Clapton - 26 AWG inner, 32 AWG outer; 6/5 wraps; 0.48 Ω resistance
    3. Clapton - 28 AWG inner, 32 AWG outer; 6/5 wraps; 0.73 Ω resistance
    4. Fused Clapton - 2x 26 AWG (parallel) inner, 32 AWG outer; 8/7 wraps; 0.29 Ω resistance
    5. Fused Clapton - 2x 28 AWG (parallel) inner, 32 AWG outer; 8/7 wraps; 0.48 Ω resistance

The Fused Clapton 2x24/24 has been removed from this pack due to the dual coil configuration resistance being too low.

Nichrome 80 Clapton Coil pack
    1. Clapton - 24 AWG inner, 34 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.49 Ω resistance
    2. Clapton - 26 AWG inner, 34 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.64 Ω resistance
    3. Clapton - 28 AWG inner, 34 AWG outer; 6/5 wraps; 1.16 Ω resistance
    4. Fused Clapton - 2x 26 AWG (parallel) inner, 34 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.28 Ω resistance
    5. Fused Clapton - 2x 28 AWG (parallel) inner, 34 AWG outer; 7/6 wraps; 0.64 Ω resistance

Last edited by jobics; 16-05-17 at 09:38 PM.

AVF Regular
    reserved for sampler pack 5

LNB
    AVF Regular
    Nice coils mate...do you do coils for series mech mods? Something like this...

I made these a fair few weeks ago...bit of a pain to make, so wondering if you do anything like it mate..
    jobics likes this.

AVF Regular
    Cool Are you making these coils or just reselling them in assorted packs?
    jobics likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LNB View Post
    Nice coils mate...do you do coils for series mech mods? Something like this...
    I made these a fair few weeks ago...bit of a pain to make, so wondering if you do anything like it mate..
    Not at the moment. It takes time to make those kinds of coils plus I have to figure out how to get them in the mail without falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Cool Are you making these coils or just reselling them in assorted packs?
    Making them myself. I do plan to get some of the more complex pre-made coils and package them in sample packs. Would you be interested in getting those?
    Last edited by jobics; 28-08-16 at 12:21 PM.
    Robray and Tara like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jobics View Post

Making them myself. I do plan to get some of the more complex pre-made coils and package them in sample packs. Would you be interested in getting those?
    Maybe if you did them in shots. I prefer to wind my own coils

With regards to LNB's question, that might also be another reason to offer shots. People can experiment further with staged coils etc
    jobics likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast